Why the Injector on Wash Machines?

In another message I posted about the problems with the old Maytag Washer. I have been reading about these on the web and everything was explained except one thing. It looks like all machines, regardless of brand, have a water injector that takes the water from the fill valve and "injects" it into the tub. WHY? Why cant it just run thru the hose and go in there? In my other post I mentioned that there was a bad fill valve, and bad hose to the injector, plus a dripping injector. I replaced the hose with "milker hose", and just eliminated the injector, using a standard 1/2" barbed pipe fitting in it's place. It seems to be washing just fine. What's the point to that injector other than being another part to buy and another possible leak? The point is to fill the tub, and its filling 5 times as fast without that part. I simply do not see the purpose to it.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

My Washers spray fresh water on the clothes during the spin cycle. I believe its to minimize wrinkling but dont really know. first time I saw it thought the fill valve or timer were bad.

have to trip out the door switch to see this.

of course mine is a top loader

Reply to
hallerb

The injector prevents siphoning that can cause contaminated wash water to backflow to the water supply in case pressure is lost. It also ensures that the flow stops immediately when the fill valve shuts off. Otherwise water in the fill hose could provide sufficient siphon pressure to prevent the valve from closing completely.

Reply to
Bob

The water sprayed on the outside passes through to carry off more of the soap residue for a better rinse.

While the OP is questioning the need for the injector, engineers spent a lot of time getting it do a precise measurement and pattern for the best wash. You can be assured manufacturers don't put extra parts (and extra cost) for no reason, even if not apparent to the casual observer. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's to rinse the clothes a few extra times, when most of the wash water is rinsed away so the tub doesn't have to be filled again.

After that part of the spin cycle is done, the second half of the spin cycle does nothing but remove water.

FTR, I think this has been the standard way for more than 50 years, certainly more than 30.

mm

OK, I have a weird problem though. When that injector is in place, the water drips out of the holes in the side of it. But here's the weird part. I have a well. My pressure switch is set to go ON at

30lbs, and OFF at 50lbs +/- a few pounds. Whenever my pump kicks in, thats when the water squirts out that darn thing. I took it apart and soaked it in LimeAway to be sure it was clean. It still does that, and nothing is cracked. The machine is inside the house, not a a cement floor and if i let it drip my floor is going to rot out. That's why I replaced it with a standard barbed fitting. The machine still rinses, the water just pours into the tub harder, rather than a finer spray. What that matters, I dont know, because I do not see any difference in the end result. However, I stopped the water on the floor and also the machine initially fills in 2 minutes instead of 5, so the laundry gets done faster.

I should note, this machine was originally used in the city where the water pressure is 70 to 80 lbs. Go figure ???? It just seems that the pump makes it go bonkers. I did remove the screens from the fill valve because they were clogged with lime, and I replaced them with the hose-washer filters that go on the end of the supply hoses, so in the end, I have the same thing. It just seems to not want to function on my well pump without dripping.....

I tried to call Maytag. That was a waste of time. First they wanted to know so much personal information, just short of asking about my sex life. I finally told them I am not placing an order and they dont need anything beyond my name and zipcode. Because I refused to give them my (unlisted) phone number, they told me they could not assist me without my answering their questions. I finally gave them all they wanted (just not the correct phone number and address). Ten minutes of that annoyance, they finally came back and told me that there is no such model number. I took the phone behind the machine, put on my reading glasses and told them exactly every letter and number on the ID tag. They told me no such model exists. About that time I got a tad bit pissed and said "this IS a Maytag, I have given you every possible number and letter on the ID tag, what the heck more do you want?". That's when they asked me the age of the machine, and I told them I am guessing about 30 years old. Thats when they told me that they do not keep records older than 5 or 6 years.

Why the F**k they couldn't tell me that right from the start, and not waste a half hour of my time....

What really pissed me off, is that after all of this, the person asked me why the phone number I gave is different from the one my caller ID showed. I think the whole time they were checking on my identity rather than even bothering to look for the model of my machine. Even more strange, Today I got a telemarketing call selling appliances. Like I said, my number is UNLISTED, and I an on the DO NOT CALL list, and have not gotten a telemarketing call in at least a year. I was certain to threaten the telemarketer for not checking to see if I am on the DNC list, and told them if they call again, they pay the fine.

After this incident, I will be sure to never buy a new appliance from Maytag. (Not that I'd want one, from looking on the web, it seems their newer machines are really poorly made and have lots of recalls and problems). My machine may be 25 to 30 years old, but it's built like a battleship. I found that out when I had to move it up a flight of stairs. There's a good 300 lbs or more of steel...

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

perhaps the feed line to the injector is partially clooged? that could explain all your symptoms.

if your current arrangement works for you I wouldnt worry about it.

Reply to
hallerb

I had an uncle with this problem. He had to see a urologist.

I have no well, my machine is 26 years old, and I don't know if I have this part. Maybe someone else knows

(I was only explaining the role of the extra spraying, that it wasn't about wrinkles. I wasn't insisting that you had to have that.)

mm

You are 100% correct!

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Exactly! This is standard U.S. Customer Service from most all companies. Pretty much since internet took off. It's all outsourced over seas. More new junk from China too. Until U.S. consumers stop buying, nothing will change. On top of that is the insulting AI Menu driven phone systems. Another brilliant Management decision.

Thanks for sharing. I've the same experiences and something needs done. I've complained endlessly to no avail. When will they wake up? Best Regards, Rod

Reply to
rmynatt