Why street lights on all night?

Page 3 of 5

alarm system.

re: it is possible to, electrically, connect to the output wire of those motion sensors and via, say a low voltage transformer operate a buzzer
Yes...but don't complain every time a neighborhood cat or raccoon sounds the buzzer.
re: or even use the low voltage as input to my house alarm system.
Call your alarm company for a answer specific to your system.

Oh dear why do people make assumptions?
A low buzzer, like noticing "Oh one of the outside lights is on. I wonder why?" and then investigating is not a nuisance. It merely tells you that one of the neighbous kids has walked past on the way to some evening event at the nearby school!
No raccoons here; neighbours cats are known and usually in at night.
Also do not assume the alarm is tied into an alarm company, it's not. However on the odd occasion we are away it sounds across the street in my neighbour's house (I do the same for them if/when they are away) and operates a small horn and some other devices I will not mention for security.

If all the passing traffic is benign, then why do you need a buzzer to alert you to it?
Better question, why do you need a motion light connected to a buzzer if your neighborhood is so safe?

There are vermin and critters running around in every neighborhood. Don't kid yourself.

Not to mention the increased costs of installing and maintaining the motion sensitive stuff. The increased costs related to replacing lights that burn out faster because they are turned on and off more often. Etc., etc., etc.,

Ignoring the costs of setting up and running a system, even if computer run. I am not sure how they would spend the 20 seconds of savings before kids decide that turning on the lights is this generation's equivalent of calling a store to see if they had Prince Albert in a can.
terry wrote:

I hate street lights. They block out the night sky. Thankfully I don't have a street in front of my house but I can see one down the road. They can all be put on motion detectors for security. No need to have lights on when nobody is home or anywhere around is there? It's a real ignorant energy wasting idea.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
terry wrote:

For the same reason that street lights are (usually) not on during the daytime. Street lights are on at night so people (mostly) and animals can see.
They also act as a deterrent - roaches don't like light.
I live across the street from an apartment house. There is a largish street light in front of my house that illuminates the street (of course) and the parking lot of the apartment complex. Every time the light goes out (the last time because some fool hit it while doing about 100mph) the goblins at the apartment house come out to play. For all I can tell, they are dancing around semi-naked while chanting unintelligible incantations to something that cannot even charitably be called music. It's spooky and the only thing I can do is maintain a well-armed vigilance lest their witch-doctor lose control or they run out of virgins.

In this day and age, I think the latter is much more likely.
HeyBub wrote:

LOL
Lou

It is harder to sue someone in Germany too. In the US the day someone is robbed or has a fender bender in an unlit parking lot, the cost to the business will probably be a few years worth of electricity. Same with municipalities. It is not economical to not have street lights.
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:25:58 -0800 (PST), terry

City governments (like any government operation) spends *your* money, so they waste a lot of it. It is much easier to raise taxes than conserve. Lighted streets have some value with deterring crime.

Maybe. More likely the low crime streets with affluent residents don't shoot their lights out and do insist on them being repaired. The low budget city works depts don't put a lot of effort into fixing lights in high crime areas. So yeah I'd expect a brighter street is probably safer crime wise, but wouldn't ascribe the cause to the lights.
Bright lights don't keep the raccoons out of my garbage cans but movement does. Lighting a property when nobody is observing just helps the criminals work faster and safer.
I would bet auto sales lots use the lighting for advertising purposes, not crime prevention.
I would bet auto sales lots use the lighting for advertising purposes, not crime prevention. ********************************************
I can buy that argument at 9 PM, but not so much a 3 AM
why have them at all if they're not on when it's dark?
duh

Steve Barker wrote:

Ok, let's turn on the lights for the criminals.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

Good point.
Do you know what is considered more important by the average American, the sun or the moon?
Overwhelmingly the response is the moon. It's a no-brainer. The moon is out at night, when it's dark and we really need the light. The sun is out when it's already day. Doh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Not talking about street lights in any particular country, including America!
BTW this same item was posted on a news group populated by those from a European country.
Their response were, if anything more factual, giving examples of communities who do and do not turn off their street lights after certain times, at night. Along with generally sensible comments and references and quotes from newspaper articles about street light situations. Also some technical comments about street lighting techniques, retrofitting older and/or newer street lighting systems.
There was very little (or nothing) in the way of smart-alecky or nasty commnets.
An interesting debate however, from both the North American posting here and that other one.
BTW; a detail. Some communities install street and other lighting that minimizes light pollution upwards, directing a greater percentage of the light downwards and onto the areas where it is most effective. One benefit is to assist astronomical observations.
Thanks anyway to all who posted for throwing some light on the topic.
It's after 1.00 AM here and in this community with some 300-400 municipally financed street lights nothing moves, except maybe for the one motorist heading home after working late. And the lights will shine on until around 6.00 AM. Our electrcity is hydro generated so there is actually no change in pollution/global warming by the consumption of the electricity as would be the case with burning coal or other fossil fuel..
In article

I don't suppose you can reveal that newsgroup. <sigh>

Oh, BAD us. <snivel> Can't we all just get along?

I'd LOVE to read it - the measured, level-headed, polite thread from the continent widely known for universal tranquility and cooperation.

But no citation. Nice. :\\

Oh, please. :(
The only street, parking lot or other lighting fixture I have *EVER* seen that is NOT directing its output down is one that is DAMAGED - or directed at another, Earthbound item, i.e. flag, sign, etc.

The folks at Mount Palomar are grateful, I'm sure.
Regardless, the best astronomical observatory has been orbiting our planet for 18 years. Unfettered by earthly light "pollution" <gag> and atmospheric distortion (bring back CFCs for the benefit of ground-based observers<g>), Hubble has peered further and deeper into the cosmos, mostly for the benefit of countless computer displays of cool wallpapers and slideshows.

...and those lights are PRECISELY WHY nothing moves.
It must be all the lattes, bean sprouts, tofu and other soy "food" that have caused so many formerly, presumably intelligent folks to buy into ALL the "green" hype. When it comes simply to "energy consumption", it's all bad. There is no consideration given to cause and effect, collateral benefit vs detriment and historical evidence of value.

Perhaps, but what about the poor, oppressed FISH? Has the dam operator installed "ladders" yet? Have they yet installed discharge water coolers so that the fish don't gather near the outlet because they prefer the warmth? What about the vaunted Snail Darter?

My local power utility recently had the nerve to reveal they were considering building another nuke. Progress is being made, albeit slowly, no thanks to the late operators (experimenters) of Chernobyl and Hanoi Jane's alarmist movie.
Not to worry, though: There will always be SOMETHING to keep environmentalist extremists mad and militant. Come to think of it, if they REALLY wished to curb CO2 emission, they'd shut up. Fat chance. Fortunately, there are few enough of them to make much difference in that regard.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I've been watching the threads on both groups. Decide for yourself; uk.d-i-y

I am humbled and apologize for my presumptuous attitude.
Thank-you for the reference. I am downloading >99999 articles as I type. It must be a busy newsgroup. Thanks, again.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

No problem, you are welcome. The traffic is comparable to this group. Strangely, whilst I can see your reply, my original message has not appeared for me!