Why street lights on all night?

Page 1 of 5
Often wondered why street lights on all night. Wasted energy etc. Also unnecessary pollution where electrcity is generated by coal or other fossil fuel. Could save some small municipalities some cost?
Apparently a German town/city has decided to turn them off.
However provision is made for residents to call a telephone code that will switch them on for a timed period in their area. The call can be made from a home phone or from a mobile/cell phone etc.
So it would appear that a householder could turn them on; as could someone making a late night delivery, a taxi driver looking for certain street etc.
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:25:58 -0800 (PST), terry

I guess it would be better to have them on during the day?
Just why do you suppose we have street lights?

But we have too many lights were no one is using them. Look at the empty parking lots and building that are well lit at midnight. Every time I'm in a plane landing at night, I just marvel at the waste of electricity. Motion detectors would make sense, At least reduced lighting in many places.

Therein lies one of my concerns, Ed: I fear for the day when like-minded folks gain control of such things. The decision by the Ministry of Overnight Lighting to force private consumers into darkness (among many, other things) would be a terrible thing.

Have you considered WHY they are empty? One reason they are empty is BECAUSE they are illuminated.

That is a ridiculous statement, but I'll leave the ridicule to other, <ahem> enlightened persons. If you wish to save energy or, amazingly, the planet, take the train or stay home.
The next time you are in a plane landing at night, advise the Captain that you'd like the airport to turn off their lights to save energy. Better yet, make the flight on ONE engine. Sheesh!

A long time ago, SOME of us learned that constantly turning-on and turning-off a lamp was usually more expensive than leaving it on. This hasn't changed.
Completely disregarding actual CO$T, virtually anything is possible and considered by too many to be worthwhile.
As kids, playing outdoors at dusk, one of us was the "winner" if we were the first to call out "street light" when it came on. The advantages of turning-off public lighting during daytime hours are well known. The advantages of turning-ON such lighting after dark are likewise well known, at least by those with half a brain.
Switching on-and-off overnight lighting with each passing vehicle or at the whim of the public with a mere phone call is folly.
Parking lot operators are driven by cost, just like any other business. When it is clear there is money to be SAVED (overall) by keeping their property in the dark overnight, it will happen on its own. I rue the day when it is mandated by government.
--
:)
JR

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:21:47 -0600, Jim Redelfs

This is bullshit. Turning on and off an incadescent light does not use more energy, and if the off period is more than a few seconds, energy will be saved. It's known that flashing christmas lights use less power than when they are on all the time.
I'd think the same would be true for florescent and halogen lighting. Now these mercury vapor lights are another story, they need to cycle up to full brightness and that takes several minutes.
On the other hand, turning on an off a motor is a different matter. Motors draw a heavy current when they start, so it's best to leave the motor running if it's only off for a brief moment. Of course if it's going to be off for an hour, then it's better to turn it off.

Sez you. :(

I never said it did. I said it "was usually more expensive than leaving it on." There IS a difference. Figure it out, if possible.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I think you must be referring to shortening the life of an inccandescent bulb by more frequent on-off cyscles and factoring the cost of bulb replacement into the picture.
I'll agree that was probably true back when electricity was relatively much cheaper than it is now, but I suspect what you learned back then might not be true in today's world. Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Worse than that. AC incandescent lamps acturally turn on and off 60 times a second. :-)
So you can see more of the street and not run pedestrians over. Lots of drunks out at all hours stumbling around.
Let them drink themselves to death. I don't wanna be responsible for running them down.
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:33:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It's 120 times a second (there's a zero-crossing after EACH half-cycle), and power doesn't stay off very long. Probably not long enough for the filament to cool and cause thermal stress.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Your right. I am glad I was not taking a test. :-)

Right! In fact, there are no common electric light sources that use any significant amount of energy when starting compared to their average operating energy and that includes incandescent, halogen incandescent, fluorescent, metal halide, high pressure sodium and LEDs. Any initial energy pulse is far too brief to make any difference on anyone's electric bill.
Incandescent lamps are, of course, subjected to on/off cycles because of alternating current; but incandescent flashing sign lamps get a double dose -- from the power line and from the flashing device as well. But, lamp manufacturers rate sign lamps for the same life whether they are steady burning or flashing (3000 hours is a typical life rating).
TKM

No need to force educated people to be sensible about utility consumption. Just keep an eye on your wallet and decide from there.

I'm talking about huge parking lots at factories and shopping centers that have every light on. Sure, keep a few security light, but not every light in 10 acres of lot. Same with buildings. Reduce. Cut by half or 2/3 or so.

Oh, aren't you the smarmy one. Flying makes sense and I'm not trying to eliminate, just reduce use. OUr tax dollars are paying for some of that lighting and part of every retail purchase we make contribues too. What is hte sense of having big signs lit up when there is one car per hour going down t he street? Airport lights are bing used, but the Circuit City sign is nto drawing customers at midnight.

So, leaving a light burn for 9 hours maikes sense? Give me a break. Some lights do take time to heat up, but there are many different situations. Your generalization just sounds dumb.

Those brains are finding there have been many misonceptions too. Educate yoruself.

Yep, some are getting smart and turning lights off when not in use. About time. We need more educated people. I'm also talking about private lots at empty office building, shopping centers, factories.

What gets me are these car dealers who leave lights on all night, and lots of the very high powered types too. WHY? I dont know about you, but even if I am looking to buy a car, I dont shop for them at night. I understand where these dealers want some security lights, but all they would need would be a few low powered spot lights. They dont need to make it look like daytime, which is precisely what they do. I think this is one of the biggest energy wastes of all. Even if they want lights in the early evening for people who want to look at their cars, a timer could shut these lights off at 10pm or something. Of course those of us buying cars are paying for all the excessive wasted power.

But if I am looking for parts and the place is dark I would certainly go there at night. Lessen theft and vandalism.

very much true.lighting deters car vandalism and parts removal
I tried repeatedly those motion sensitve lights.:(:(
geez what a waste of time and money. what worked good in summer was overly sensitive in winter. trucks driving by could set it off anytime.plus pssing raccons and other wildlife
I finally settled on a pole lamp withh dusk to dawn sensor on a timer.
on at 6 AM off at midnite. any time between these hours and dark light is on. occasionally its during a mid day storm.with a 23Watt CF its efficent and realtively low cost.
although the CF lamps fail about once a year, when LEDs get better I will go to them, currently not brite enough

Because lights make would-be thieves and vandals visible to any passers-by, and video surveillance.
Keeping the lights on is cheaper than paying the insurance premiums after all the cars on your lot have been stripped under the cover of darkness once or twice.
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:09:54 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

It may even be a condition of their insurance policy.

They make night vision cameras now, no need for the lights.
--
Van Chocstraw

So if they want to really clean up a street they can shut off the lights after you go to bed.
--
Van Chocstraw