Why SO MUCH for a door pull (piece of metal)

Hi,
Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for an item like this:
http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964
which is essentiall a piece of metal?
I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.
I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)
Thank you in advance!
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

My conjecture would be that they're small volume item w/ quite a lot of hand work targeted to an also small-volume market that is essentially 100% discretionary spending driven.
As for the second, no clue...

IMO dpb hit the nail squarely on the head.....they tend to be luxury items & are priced "as the traffic will bear".
Google
baldwin dummy knob
here's for Baldwin hardware (~1/20)
http://www.homeannex.com/prodView.asp?idProduct 583&idFg809&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&CAWELAIDR417275
check for your style desired
Ace Hardware in Santa Ana, CA
714-541-5268 is major supplier (walk-in, phone & online) of Baldwin; pretty good prices as well
here's some info on Quikset hardware (cheaper)
http://www.ebuild.com/products/productDetail.hwx/Q/hardware/door-hardware--dummy-locksets/catCode.1835/productId.202973/pageNum.0 #
cheers Bob
alt.home.repair:

Try here: http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8 &rls=TSHA,TSHA:2006-09,TSHA:en&q=mitered+pull&um=1
I watched hardware being made on "How It's Made" a few weeks ago. They're mostly zinc, with some complicated finishes to get the patina. There's a lot of hand work involved.
The price is obviously (as always) based on what the market will bear.
BTW: I'm old enough now (50) that _everything_ seems overpriced. I mentioned this to my much older friend, and he replied that everything _is_ overpriced.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Aaron Fude wrote:

I've used successfully:
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/groupid/Cabinet%20Knobs%2C%20Pulls%20%26%20Handles
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

It's big, fat, made of solid bronze or brass, and is a boutique item. There's no point in asking why.

That's a big item you linked to. They're also called appliance pulls when they get that big. They're also more of a commercial item when they have such a large diameter. If you're locked in to that exact style, you have a bit of searching to do, or you'll have to pony up the money, and that's what they're counting on. Here's something a bit different, different size and cheaper. http://www.cabinet-pull.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref6933
When I'm doing such searches I usually type in what I want, do the Google, then select the Images tab and search visually. That will locate a vendor who will have alternatives and similar items.
Aaron Fude wrote:

statement "car" bragging rights crowd. You know the I have a 186" TV or "these are custom door pulls made just for me and they cost $7,000" etc

Not sure of your location, but around Portland (OR) there are several recycling and rebuilding centers. Door hardware there is cheap if you can find what you're looking for.
wrote Re Why SO MUCH for a door pull (piece of metal):

Here's a nice one
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId0003-44264-10611&lpage=none
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:56:50 +0000, Aaron Fude wrote:

Good argument for greed. On the other hand, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Anyone that pays that price is an idiot. You can get cheaper ones at H.D. or any hardware store. Or just bend a piece of scrap tin and make your own for free.
On Oct 18, 11:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to see the blood stains and rust on your door handles! And the idea that making your own is free only if you place no value at all on your time. The thing the OP linked to is either solid brass or bronze, depending on the finish. ORB is oil rubbed bronze.
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:15:05 -0700, RicodJour

I dont make my own in the house. Mine came with the house, but I have bought them for other projects at about $2 each and they look nice and are durable. On the other hand, I have made them for barn doors, out of 1/8 inch thick by 1" steel. It takes me about about 10 minutes with a torch, hammer and vice to bend them. The ones I make cost 25 cents for the metal and another 10 cents for the spray paint and torch gas. I save buying the ones that cost $8 each, and mine are much stronger. No, they are not sharp.
The thing the OP linked to damn well better be made of brass at that rediculous price. Or, actually it should be made of solid gold.....
on 10/19/2007 9:47 AM snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com said the following:

Why does a celebrity spend $13,000 for a handbag? http://tinyurl.com/36mczk
--

Bill