Why so difficult to open these buckets?

The plastic buckets that concrete mix, grout, thinset etc... come in, why are they so difficult to open? It's almost impossible to do it by bare hands without cutting or bruising yourself. I have to wear a pair of work gloves to pull it open. Can't they make it easier?
MC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:19:06 -0500, Some Pussy whines:

My wife says the same thing about jars of pickles.

I don't want a pickle Just want to ride on my motorsickle And I don't want a tickle 'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorsickle And I don't want to die Just want to ride on my motorcy...cle
It was late last night the other day I thought I'd go up and see Ray So l went up and I saw Ray There was only one thing Ray could say, was:
CHORUS
This song is about the time that I was ridin' my motorcycle. Going down a mountain road, at 150 miles an hour, playin' my guitar. On one side of the mountain road there was a mountain, and on the other side there was nothin' - there was a cliff in the air.
Now, when you're going down a mountain road at I50 miles an hour you gotta be very careful, especially if you're playin' a guitar. Especially if that guitar is an acoustic guitar. Because if it's an acoustic guitar, the wind pressure is greater on the box side than on the neck side, because there's more guitar on the box side. I wasn't payin' attention ..
Luckily I didn't go into the mountain - I went over the cliff. I was goin' at 150 miles an hour sideways and 500 feet down at the same time.
I knew it was the end. I looked down, I said ''Wow! Some trip". I thought it...well I knew it was...I knew it was my last trip, and in my last remaining seconds in world,I decided to write one last farewell song to the world.
Put a new ink cartridge in my pen. Took out a piece of paper. I sat back and I thought awhile. Then I started writin': I don't want a pickle Just want to ride on my motorsickle And I don't want a tickle 'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want to die Just want to ride on my motorcy ...cle."
I knew that, it wasn't the best song l ever wrote, but I didn't have time to change it. I was comin' down mighty fast.
But as you all know, and as fate would have it, I didn't die. I landed on the top of a police car. And he died. I drove away on the road that he was on. I came into town at a screamin' 175 miles an hour, playin' the motorcycle song.
I came into town, I jumped off my bike, the bike went around the corner by itself, went up on the stand by itself, turned itself off.
I walked over to my friend. He was standin' there eatin' pickles. I said "Hi, what's happenin'?" He looked at me in the eye and said "Nothin'".
You gotta sing it with that kind of enthusiasm. Like you just squashed a cop...

Classic Arlo Guthrie

And he (Arlo) openly admits it's the worst song he's ever written.
Bill

Easy to fix http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&pD271&cat=2,40733,40734
This is one of the most simple, most useful gadgets in the kitchen.
wrote in message

I've never seen concrete or grout sold in bottles that small. What hardware store do you buy from?
Bob

If I bought her one of those then she'd have no reason to keep me around.

Use a screwdriver.

I bought an opener for them. It has a hook that grabs the lip and pivots around the top to pop each section up. I think I paid 3 bucks for it and I thought it was steep until I did my drywall mudding then I thought it was money well spent.
Rich
So they don't come open with shipping and other handling, which can be pretty rough. There are tools for opening them which make it easy but I don't think they are intended to open easily by hand. Don Young

If they did that, they would come off at the worst time, or the contents would dry out. Buy one of the openers designed for them. They work slick, and are about three bucks.
I saw a wisp of a girl using one to open five gallon buckets of paint with them, and she made it look easy.
Yes, I agree with you. I have broken more than one nail opening those darn things.
Steve
You can say that again! It is amazing how difficult some products are to open. I am fairly strong, have an arsenal of tools for opening things, and still may have a difficult time opening something.
I wonder how someone old and frail or with arthritis can open some of these packages. I don't think anyone who designs these packages ever attempts to open them.
Opening hint: Some of the 5 gallon containers have less thin plastic areas around the lid which you need to slice with a knife. Once you slice these (and hopefully do not cut yourself), it is a little easier to open.
"miamicuse" wrote in message

Many lids of this type have six or eight slots around the edge where the plastic is much thinner. Cut the rim at those points with a utility knife -- that's what they're for -- and you'll find it much easier to open.
--
Regards,
I was on the road, and bought an Braun electric toothbrush cuz I forgot mine. That $%&! bubble packaging must be welded shut, and is impossible to open. I had to go to the hotel kitchen and borrow a knife. What a pain.

Unfortunately the reason for that is to try to at least slightly cut down the instances of theft of package contents in the stores. It is also why small items are sold in packages too large to easily put into a pocket. Don Young

miamicuse wrote:

Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/a9wvj
Has a hammer face on it for resealing them.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:10:59 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

I'd like one of these, but not at over $12 (with shipping).
miamicuse wrote:

I have the same problem with condom packages.

Me too now I'm called Dad....