Why should I upgrade from fuses to circuit breakers? (and spend $1000-$1500)

Page 3 of 3

dpb wrote:

How many fires have been caused by replacing fused panels with circuit breaker panels? I feel confident it has happened; all construction activities carry some risk of incidents either during or as a result of them.

imho:
Good point! Service panels are cheaper to replace than cars, and should last a heck of lot longer than a car. Also, homes have more money invested in them, than the typical car, so more to lose.
I would upgrade the panel for piece of mind. My home was build over a decade ago, and I put in AFCI's on all the bedroom circuits, so to me they are worth it.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

I have NEVER had an insurance company ask about whether there were CBs or fuses.
Perhaps if a company had some bad experience with fuses they might get particular but folks who can "live with" fuses don't tend to stress the power system in the first place.

John Gilmer wrote:

Ahh google fuses and insurance. it tlks of insurance hassles mostly for new customers
people with fuses do sress them, mostly by overfusing installing heavier uses than sae to minimize them blowing.
just living stresses electrical systems, at the time fuses boxes were popualr we didnt have nearly so many electrical appliances, most entrances were 60 amp 4 fuses. heck today you need more than that just for the kitchen