Why should I check a window for Square?

Page 2 of 2

I gave up when the second door had the same flaw. One I used as a back door as the wall there was out of plumb (old house) and I could 'warp' the jamb on the lock side enough. I used the other one for the front door and adjusted the weatherstripping enough, still had a bit of gap at bottom corner but as it opens into a sorta 'air lock' entry it doesn't really matter.
Harry K
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Easier, maybe, not necessarily as accurate.
The "trick" in my opinion, to making the measurement is to forget the tape and use a story stick w/ a pointy end (the proverbial pointy stick has a use here)...when the mark from one diagonal matches the other, you know the overall frame is square. Now you can then worry about whether there is any bow/twist/etc. in the the various components...
DerbyDad03 wrote:

They are indicating to check plumb in the other plane, i.e. the plane of the wall, not the plane of the window opening. The window may well be plumb in that plane, and level at the head and sill, while being out of square if it was not shimmed properly.