Why remove only one layer of shingles.

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

Reply to
thomas.jacobs

can you even get the top layer off without damaging the bottom layer?

it would be silly to leave a layer on.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

one layer and then reshingle.

That's absurd. Find a new roofer.

Reply to
Hopkins

Very bad idea.

Remove everything down to the decking. You need to do that in order to inspect the condition of the decking, and provide a good underlayment for the new shingles. I would also install 30# felt under the new shingles unless the mfg instructions preclude it.

Reply to
Vic Dura

------- As everyone else said, bad idea. You need a complete teardown, replacement of any damaged/delaminated decking, and installation of

30# roofing felt (if shingle mfgr requires felt), and reflashing of valleys etc. before laying down new shingles. If the roofer balks at these requirements, find someone else in a hurry, you don't want this guy touching your house.
Reply to
Abe

Stupidest idea I have heard in a long time! Strip the roof to the deck and start fresh! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

????? Are you sure that you understood the roofer correctly???

State of Maryland says that you can have a max of two layers of shingles on roof. If you already have the two layers...it makes sense to remove both of them and start with a single layer again. Never heard of anyone removing just one layer...as the bottom one will be damaged no matter how careful they are. This also gives you an opportunity to inspect the panels, install new felt and flashing.

I would think that the only additional cost would be for hauling the extra shingles away.

Reply to
Peter

Never heard of such a proposal. No way that the first layer will survive intact and thus be a good underlayment. Now is the time to improve/repair water/ice dam, chimney flashing drip edge etc. Find another roofer, his one is taking you for a ride. MLD

Reply to
MLD

The only reason I can think of is to save disposal cost and it might even take more labor to avoid damaging the lower layer (impossible to say without seeing and touching). You need to get this guy to elaborate his reasoning and get a second opinion (from a real contractor not us hacks on Usenet).

Did you indicate a budget that he was trying to stay under?

Reply to
PipeDown

What this sounds like is some kind of standard bid form, and it's probably not what the price is based on. Call the roofer and ask for a price that includes both layers. The price you have probably does, but contractors get in trouble all the time when they get careless with those standard forms.

======================= My "guess" is that the bid price was to remove BOTH layers... I am not a contractor but I have installed a few roofs and BOTH the time spend and work involved in only removing the top layer would be excessive...

Bob.

Reply to
Bob G.

After he removes the first layer, dump about 20 gallons of gas on the roof and light a match. The next layer will come right off !!!!

Reply to
ooooooooo

Reply to
Phisherman