Why only an overflow in the bathroom

A friend of mine got some fancy undermount sink for his throne room sink and said it had no overflow drain. I told him not to worry about and not to install the pop-up stopper if he was concerned.

Then I got to thinking... No overflow drain in slop sinks... No overflow drain in kitchen sinks... Seems that only in bathroom sinks is an overflow drain standard

Anyone know why?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

cheaper to make

Reply to
ransley

lengthy discussion

Reply to
Speedy Jim

And six year old kids use bathroom sinks (as well as teenagers)

Reply to
LouB

probably goes back to when bathrooms were nearly all on upper floors

Reply to
hallerb

They do make them. My Blanco kitchen sink has an overflow. Bathtubs have them also.

Reply to
DT

bathtub over fill preventers are part of the tub drain valve lever assembly. although they arent adquate to carry a full flow over time

Reply to
hallerb

I installed a vessel sink on top of the vanity. No overflow for the vessel or the tail pipe drain piece.

Reply to
Oren

Yes, but do you really think that tiny little hole they call the 'overflow drain will really keep up when the faucet is on full-bore? I doubt any of mine would!

Reply to
Mark

I had a simular situation of confusion concerning sinks and drains when I bought a vanity, vessel sink, faucet & drain, the whole set basically and I figured it would be simple to put it all together and to my surprise it was pretty confusing haha Spend about an hour banging the drain up against my head. :-) But luckily the place i bought it all from (moderndanish.com) had helpful videos and phone support to walk me through it. I think as long as the place you're buying it from has really good support than that really helps!!!

Just one of my random thoughts :-)

Reply to
NightlyHowls