Why only an overflow in the bathroom

A friend of mine got some fancy undermount sink for his throne room sink and said it had no overflow drain. I told him not to worry about and not to install the pop-up stopper if he was concerned.
Then I got to thinking... No overflow drain in slop sinks... No overflow drain in kitchen sinks... Seems that only in bathroom sinks is an overflow drain standard
Anyone know why?

cheaper to make
ransley wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/6d7neh
lengthy discussion
ransley wrote:

And six year old kids use bathroom sinks (as well as teenagers)

probably goes back to when bathrooms were nearly all on upper floors

Yes, but do you really think that tiny little hole they call the 'overflow drain will really keep up when the faucet is on full-bore? I doubt any of mine would!

They do make them. My Blanco kitchen sink has an overflow. Bathtubs have them also.
--
Dennis

On May 2, 5:35�pm, snipped-for-privacy@wowway.com (DT) wrote:

bathtub over fill preventers are part of the tub drain valve lever assembly. although they arent adquate to carry a full flow over time
On Fri, 2 May 2008 07:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

I installed a vessel sink on top of the vanity. No overflow for the vessel or the tail pipe drain piece.

I had a simular situation of confusion concerning sinks and drains when I bought a vanity, vessel sink, faucet & drain, the whole set basically and I figured it would be simple to put it all together and to my surprise it was pretty confusing haha Spend about an hour banging the drain up against my head. :-) But luckily the place i bought it all from (moderndanish.com) had helpful videos and phone support to walk me through it. I think as long as the place you're buying it from has really good support than that really helps!!!
Just one of my random thoughts :-)