Why not GFCI everywhere?

I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the house?
Thanks!
Aaron Fude
I think that GFCI outlet look smarter than the regular outlets. Is there a reason, other than cost) not to use them everywhere in the house?
Thanks!
Aaron Fude
On Mar 12, 11:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I believe that they are not recommended for use wherever medical equipment may be installed, if that is a concern.
If you like the look of the GFCI devices, check out the "Decora" line of wiring devices; they look pretty much like a GFCI without the buttons.
nate

Anywhere where its very important that the circut not go dead when it doesn't have to, you shouldn't use GFCIs.
That's mostly refridgeration, medical equipment, sump-pumps, emergency lighting, and heavy fixed equipment.
For regular convenience outlets, no, I can think of no reason other than cost not to use GFCIs.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Money and false trips traded off against a very slight increase in safety. If something it too expensive or too much trouble it will end up not being used.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Mar 12, 12:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You think they look better? I don't think the push buttons add to the aesthetic, but different strokes and all that.
http://members.tripod.com/~masterslic/FAQ-2/6.html Not definitive, but it makes valid points.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Hope the added volume brings down the cost of AFCI breakers a bit.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

I don't know anything about this, but if no one sells them, the prices should go up.
A customer is in a grocery when a guy comes in and asks how much the tomatoes are.
The owner says 3 dollars a pound.
The guy says, The store down the street charges 2 dollars a pound.
So buy them there, the grocer says.
He's out of tomatoes, the guy says.
Well, the grocer says, when I'm out of them, I charge a dollar a pound.

device is working. That has always been the holy grail. "Combination" device only refers to an arc on the load side of the receptacle as well as in wall wiring but it is still only parallel arcs.
On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Someone here once said that they were recommended AGAINST for refrigerators, because if they tripped the food would get warm.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it is just the look you are after:
http://www.onestopbuy.com/DECORATOR-DECORA-DEVICES-11739.asp?pt=gdecora
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I'm still waiting to hear a good reason why ANY should be used :)
Seriously, if you like the look, outlets swtichers, and cover plates with similar style are available at somewhat higher cost than standard items.
Oh, you would not want to use a GFCI on for instance, a refrigerator circuit, because of "nuisance" trips.
plausible, and wrong." (Mencken)
On Mar 13, 12:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Several people read this the way you did, but I'm pretty confident that the original poster isn't talking about the aesthetics. Substitute "appear to me to be a better choice" for "look smarter".
On 12 Mar 2007 09:03:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Put your hand on one that has been running for a while. The closest one to me always stays warm. Sounds like a waste of electricity to put them everywhere.