WHY NOT A LAWN TRACTOR ?

Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get an electric "golf cart" to get around our village.

I never realized, those things cost like platinum !

It occurred to me that one could buy a good lawn-tractor remove the blades, and have pretty good urban transportation.

I see a SEARS ad offering a "six-speed" unit for less than a thou.

Beyond fighting the folks at city hall, any other probs ? How's top speed ? Reliability ?

Reply to
Anonymous

Advise your friend to never; ever, get a DUI on a tractor. Speeding can bring another fine.

-- Oren

Oren

RJ,

Head to the library and read Consumer Reports, Craftsman is not a great brand. There may be a noise issue. Golf carts have bench seats and carry more than one person. Your friend may have difficulty getting on and off a tractor. Tractors are not very stable. I have a 7 speed lawn tractor. Top speed is faster than jogging but slower than running.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I would have to differ from the last, I have had a Craftsman tractor for 25 years now, (OK, maybe they were better made then) but it is a 6 speed and pretty quick. This thing has gone through the trails and in the woods, pulled out many a deer. Yes it is hard to get on and off (if you were elderly and had joint issues). I'm not sure just how loud it is but I don't think is all that loud.

But, I do beleive that a golf cart would be MUCH better for him. I have seen them on Craigs for 1200. Sounded like a good deal, same type elderly man owned it, came with battery charges hard roof with rain enclosure.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

A fight you'd not when, either, btw...

A BAD idea. They're not suited for the purpose. Look into finding used carts.

Reply to
dpb

"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Noise.

Reply to
Chirac

Aasuming you're are serious,

Tractors run on gas. Can't use indoors.

Tractors would be hard to move around in tight spots (bathrooms, stores)

Tractors tend to be big. Mov> Elderly gent in our neighborhood will have to get

Reply to
noname87

Speed, noise capacity and reliability.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't think he means a scooter, he means a real golf cart. I see them in a lot of the elder-housing communities, and even some subdivisions.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Costly also, DUI, speeding and driving on a sidewalk.....via tractor!

-- Oren

Oren

Don't forget the safety aspect.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Look around for a golf cart dealer in your area. Some may have used ones for sale. When my girls were young, I bought a used electric golf cart from a a local dealer. I paid $300 for it and it came with the 6 - 6v deep cell batteries (36v motor) which were worth more than the $300 I paid for the whole thing. It wasn't in the best looking condition but it ran. In hind site, I should have bought the gas engine one because the kids got downhearted when it had to be recharged.

Reply to
willshak

There are several companies that sell battery operated "carts" that are designed for people that can't get around easily. Some are covered by Medicare or other insurance.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

You don't have to buy new. My friend runs a mini-storage and though she walks once or twice around each day for exercise and somtimes to pick up litter, she uses the golf cart a lot. Her boss, her uncle, runs another ministorage and doesn't buy new for himself either. I think the same place that repairs them sells them used.

She actually uses a gas powered one. It's not as loud as a tractor but louder than electric. The engine starts when she presses the accelerator, which I think is cool. There is a hand lever for reverse. But it breaks once in a while.

Without the blades, you couldn't chop off anyone's toes.

Reply to
mm

And electric won't break anywhere near as often as a gas one, which has most of the parts of a car.

Reply to
mm

*And* she thinks my tractor's sexy.8)>
Reply to