Why must ground & neutral be seperate in subpanel?

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Or, I should have noted, long before the wire will get hot enough to cause any kind of problem.

That's better... but it's still a Code violation. All conductors for any circuit are required to be in the same conduit, cable, raceway, etc. Furthermore, Code also prohibits connecting conductors in parallel unless they're (I believe) 2ga or larger.

Correct.
Undoubtedly. But it's still a Code violation. If you're going to run a new cable anyway, why not run the right thing, connect it up properly, and be done with it?

Doesn't matter -- Code doesn't permit it.

Understood -- but you asked for the proper way of doing this. What you propose is not.

It's still a Code violation, because it's not in the same cable as the conductors supplying the subpanel. You need to replace the existing feed with 8-3 cable (given that you're using a 40A breaker) with ground, so that all of the conductors are in the same cable. And you won't have any trouble finding a lug in the main that you can connect #8 to.
--
Regards,

Thanks for your help and advice. I've located a grounding bar kit from the panel manufacturer and will install it along with (4) wires from the main panel (white, greeen and two black) so that the neutral and ground are separate.