Why movie rental stores don't have home improvement "how to" tapes or DVDs?

I just wish my local rental store carry home improvement "how to" tapes so that I could review it before purchase. I have a small collection of the Hometime (Dean Johnson) and the Orthor tapes and its pretty good but buying any other brands seems like a hit or miss adventure. Case in point is the Lamb Home Video (how to install marble) that I pick up from Home Depot - the box looks very interesting and seem like just what I needed for my next marble job but what a major disappointment after viewing the super short tape. My next purchase is the Fu-Tung Cheng DIY concrete counter top DVD and if anything like his book it should be a winner. Any care to comment on this DVD?

Anyway since I can't rent "how to" tapes or return tapes or DVD after its open, is there a web site providing reviews giving a thumps up or down like the movie reviews?

Reply to
Fred

Greetings,

a) find someone else with home improvement tapes online and swap b) user interlibrary loan c) if you want to start a sight dedicated to home improvement videos I might be willing to partner with you - let me know. I can take care of the technical end of it (I run several other websites.)

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Thanks for the offer but I'm just too busy to be useful (three remodels to do and no time for anything else) plus most of my tapes are old and may not be in print anymore.

Reply to
Fred

Do you have a library card? Many public libraries have a monthly budget for new purchases, and they welcome requests for specific books and movies. Otherwise they just have to guess what people might want.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

I notice

carries some titles from the Fine Homebuilding series. Maybe you should check out the site.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

good thing you waited until you're committed to do 3 remodels, before thinking about learning how to do the work..

Makes me think twice about ever buying a fixed-up fixer-upper.

Reply to
phlegmatico

"Fred" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Try your library.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I already know how to tile but I bought the tape to update myself to learn new skills. I was hoping to do a sink undermount for solid granite or marble kitchen counter tops but that tape was just not even good for the beginner. I ended up doing 12x12 granite tiles with marble inlay for the counter top and sink overmount. Next project I like to do is concrete counter top with an integrated sink.

If you have the time, money and some skills, fixer-uppers are so much fun and offer huge gratification. I'm keeping that fixer upper for cash flow and tax write off so you don't have to worry in buying it.

Reply to
Fred