why limit number of circuits

A bit of change in the subject but still in the area. I'm building a garage. I'm running a 70amp circuit out to it and was hoping to avoid having a main in the sub panel. The garage has living space above it so it's going to be a bit tricky to meet the 6 limit. I was thinking about ganging a couple of the lighting breakers. Will that trick work to keep me under the 6? It's all about 6 hand movements, right? Nothing to do with what's on the breakers. (That's also why I was asking about the exceptions.)

Reply to
jamesgangnc

jamesgangnc wrote: ...

I don't follow what you precisely mean w/ "ganging a couple of the lighting breakers."

It'll be the inspector who makes the call for your jurisdiction anyhow, but I'd say not to be a cheapskate and put in a panel of adequate size including some for the inevitable "wish I'da done that" growth. Only place/reason I'd see for really trying to skrimp so closely would be if this is purely for a very short term purpose such as an imminent-sale fixup.

--

Reply to
dpb

If you ran multiwire circuits you would have to use 2 pole breakers and I suppose that makes your installation "hold your nose" legal if the total comes in at 6 or less ... assuming you are on the 2008 code. In the 2005 the AHJ can still require a main breaker for a lighting and appliance panel. What is your reluctance to a main breaker? A 70 is pretty cheap.

Reply to
gfretwell