Why Lime in Stucco mix?

I need to mix up a small batch of stucco mix for a repair job. All the recipes I find call for some lime to be added to the cement and sand. Why is the lime added to the mix? Doesn't it weaken the mixture? I should add that I will not be patching over old stucco. I will be applying this mix to wonder board to blend in with the existing portion.
Colbyt
I'm an electrician, not a mason, but I can tell you the lime is to make it stick

.Lime is added to turn your hands bright red, and make them sore. Just kidding, but lime is devilish on flesh. Why not just use stucco repair pre-mix? My recollection is that lime slows setting time, so you have more time to work it before it sets up. Not sure, tho.
Buy Stucco mix. Stucco. call around, at concrete sellers-dealers. Do not make it yourself, by premix.
Our electrical buddy put his finger on it. The lime makes it stick. That is also why it is in mortar. Stucco is really just type S. If you just need a little they sell it in 40 lb bags at the BORG ready to use... add water ;-)
A little acrylic ad-mix will really make it sticky

No, it does not weaken the mixture, it actually strengthens it some. Lime is added for two main reasons: it makes the mix sticky, and it also makes it much easier to work.