why isnt my whistling kettle whistling anymore?

Its only a year old, a nice stainless steel number.
Ive tried tightening to screw in the removable lid, but to no avail.
Perhaps Ive tightened it too hard?
Any ideas on this earth shattering problem? :)

The sound is made by steam passing through the whistle opening. Be sure it is clear and did not get filled with some gunk. Clean it out with a pin or paperclip and give it a try. Also check that it is fitting properly and the steam is not escaping around the lid rather than through it.
ODB wrote:

I have seen some get blocked with a lime type build up. Take a look and see if you can see if something is partly blocking the vent.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Probably lime or crud buildup. Soak the whistle part in some CLR over night.

No wrote:

Vinegar is nearly as effective and much cheaper..

The whistle consists of a resonating chamber in the steam vent made using a thin insert with a hole. If the insert falls out, no whistle. Check to be sure the steam has to go thru 2 inline holes.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/