Why is Snow getting into Our attic through the Vents?

We have a two story house (Ontario Canada). We bought this nice house, newly re shingled. For some reason our roof vents let in snow into the attic, it does not happen all the time. They are typical rubber vents, 4 inch high or so. 12inch square. I see how this can happen, the wind blow the snow in, even though it is installed properly. It only happens when we have a heavy snow fall. Does everyone have this problem or am I missing something? thanks.

Wonder if there's a piece of fiberglass/plastic mesh missing. You see that mesh on the underside of ridge venting. Maybe take a look at the ones in the home center next time you go by.
pretty normal. especially if it's a light fluffy snow blowing in the wind. Shouldn't cause a problem.

My father used to screw plywood over the vents in winter.I'd probably do the same but I dont have an attic.
Jimw wrote:

Okay, unless doing so causes the attic to not be adequately vented.

That's a good way to ensure ice damming and LOTS of water running in.

Bad idea.

tHE FURTHERST north I"ve ever lived is Chicago. You have square 12x12 inch vents? 4 inches high, pointed up, open at the top and bottom?
That's pretty big, how could the snow not get in?
How mnay do you have?
I have a roof fan and when it rains the water bounces off the roof and some gets through the screen, the part above the roof, and into the motor area and falls onto the attic floor. Hasn't caused any problems. (There was just fiberglass there, but now there's some plywood so I can walk around up there.) (Sometimes I wonder if this makes the fan motor slow down and stop earlier.
thank you all. So basically what you are saying is that a couple of hand fulls of snow will not do any damage?