Why is silver paint called aluminum paint?

All my life I have wondered this. Why is silver paint called aluminum paint? It can be painted on steel, wood, plastic, brass, and darn near anything else (including aluminum), so why that name?
All your life, eh? Tom
Well, there is a color called 'silver' and a color called 'aluminum'. They're different - in fact, there are 2 or 3 different 'aluminum' colors that I've seen.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Because the color comes from aluminum which is a hell of a lot cheaper than real silver. Note that some cars do come in silver.
Lou
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:48:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@GoForIt.net wrote:

Does that mean the paint contains aluminum particles? If it does, how come it can be used on steel without causing a corrosion problem?
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

A. Yes (or at least did--I've not used any in a long time so I suppose it's possible they're using something else now owing to higher Al costs)
B. Because it is already oxidized and contained in the carrier that makes it "paint" so it's not directly in contact--and that there's not a real high problem anyway...
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Marketing purposes. In consumer acceptance tests, "Aluminum" beat out the runner-up, "Squirrel" by, I believe, 2-3 points. "Phlegm" was a distant third.
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:29:35 -0500 "HeyBub"

My last two cars have been "pewter" and "driftwood". I really want "gold", but I keep ending up with grey.
Because it doesn't have any silver in it. If they called it "silver" paint, they'd get sued. (Litigation is a major sport in the USA).
Perce
On 07/28/05 12:11 am snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup: