Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

I don't know how broad the general knowledge of chemistry is. I have heard that about 18% of the US populace is functionally illiterate, that is, they can only read street signs and newspaper headlines but can't read in depth. I've always figured that technical illiteracy is higher. Not saying the questioner is technically illiterate but maybe depth of chemical knowledge is as high.

Reply to
Frank

As son of depression babies, that really is tragic. Throwing food away? Ought be taken out and shot, I say!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Campbells soup flavored salt?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was just discussing this over dinner.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Conneseurs like the -SO4Na end. The hydrphyllic end is so gauche. Mine are imported.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mostly, yes, excepting sea salt also contains a few percent of Ca++, K+ and Mg++ salts as well whereas prepared table salt is essentially all Na+. Most prepared table salt also has iodide added..

Reply to
dpb

Also sea salt has many organic matters. Mine salt is just pure salt.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I moved to a different state in my junior year of high school, and that school required students to take chemistry in their sophomore year. I had all my science credits save one more class to graduate and I took zoology. I never took chemistry.

Reply to
Muggles

So don't. You won't be missed. But your unwillingness to spend a penny on a religious organization, or a Jewish organization, is no excuse for trying to give others the impression it costs more than it does. I wouldn't be annoyed except that antisemites do this too, specifically to create hostility towards Jews.

No, it's not a scam. Jews who keep kosher want an independent inspection of the processed food they might buy, both because of honest mistakes the producer can make, negligence, and even fraud. (I'll bet in a different context, you wouldn't be very trusting of corporate food makers.) For meat, poultry, bread, and wine, inspection predates the USA's FDA by hundreds or probably thousands of years.

When all the food Jews ate was made in their own kitchens or by people they knew, then there was still local inspection of what's listed above. But canning begain in the 1800's and by the 1920's and much more so after WWII, national food brands and then prepared foods came onto the market, and some of them sought out kosher inspection so they could sell to a wider customer base.

BTW, my great-grandfather raised honey. About once a week, he'd take some to the market to sell. It wasn't flavored and afaik didn't need inspection, and in the small town he lived in, probably everyone knew him and that he and his family kept kosher.

So? Most people aren't.

But you'll whine about it and try to mislead people as to how much it costs.

And it's not just Jews who prefer to buy kosher food. These food makers know what they're doing when they solicit certification.

Reply to
wanderer

AIUI normally like will dissolve like. Polar materials will dissolve in a polar liquid and non-polar materials will dissolve in non-polar liquids. Water is polar, so I guess it's non-polar kinds of dirt that dont' dissolve in it.

Soap otoh is semi-polar, polar at one end and non-polar at the other.

So the soap adheres to non-polar molecules at one end of its molecule and to the water at the other end, making the oil (as if it were?) dissolved in the water, so they wash away when the water does.

Preventing bubbles is not the same as breaking down soap (depending on your meaning of "breaking down". ) The soap is still there but I guess it can't create enough of whatever physical characteristic is needed for bubbles. But the chemical nature and lots of other physical characteristics of the soap stay the same, iiuc.

Soap has been around for a long time, traced to 2800 or 2200BCE. Before that everyone had to use detergent.

Micky

Sucrose, "table sugar" is a double ring.

Fructose / glucose is single ring.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My wife had similar problems in changing schools with math.

It never hurts to ask questions and someone should not be deterred with the comment, "everybody knows that."

Nobody knows everything.

Reply to
Frank

| Why should I pay even a penny to support some religious organization?

I don't think it usually works out that way. If you buy a bottle of honey marked "pareve" it's probably $3.99... or $5.79... or something like that. The non- marked bottle is not going to be $5.78. You're not

*really* paying for the mark.

On the other hand, declaring purity or blessedness

*has* always been one of the central rackets of religious establishments. Buying blessings is well established in the Catholic church, for instance. As with plumbers, priests can drive the price up by controlling the number of licensed blessers. Kosher law can also serve as a form of protection racket for the people who don't dare allow the proverbial black cat of treif [non-kosher food] to cross their path.

Given that sort of thing, maybe you feel strongly that religion is destructive, like the "new atheists" who think scientific materialism will save us and that religion has caused all wars? In that case I could see why you wouldn't want to risk supporting religion mongerers.

Personally I find that view to be a particularly naive and simplistic brand of homemade religion. If we reject religion then aren't we practicing the same approach of taking sides against an "other" that religion is faulted for? Modern technophiles are hoping to save their necks by cheering for the right team, just like some religious people are. In that sense science becomes another superstition. The most notable difference is that the science followers aim low. Religious people often hope to know God and view their lives as being dedicated to that work. Science followers hope only to extend their lives and discover a more delicious flavorant to put on popcorn. They accept a simplistic, concretist view of reality and essentially subscribe to the irrational view that whoever dies with the most toys, and pleasurable experiences, wins. The great danger with science followers is that they fervently believe themselves to be immune to irrational belief. (There are an awfully lot of people who say they believe that when they die, that's it. They are their body. Their soul or thoughts are mere chemical reactions. There is no meaning. We're just vehicles for DNA to reproduce itself, floating around on a rock in the universe. Yet those same people spend a fortune to pick their funeral trappings and gravestone. When we see such fancy caskets used by ancient Egyptians we say the silly fools thought they were taking their worldly comforts to an afterlife. But us? No. We're rationalists. We just like a good casket. :)

I buy kosher salt. I like the big flakes. It sprinkles better. My other requirement with salt is that it not contain additives of aluminum, cyanide, or any other idiotic thing that someone thought would be clever to include. Interestingly, kosher doesn't seem to necessarily mean without toxins, in this case. It just means the flakes are big.

Reply to
Mayayana

States may adopt their own laws on raw milk sales. However, at the federal level, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) bans the interstate sale or distribution of raw milk. All milk sold across state lines must be pasteurized and meet the standards of the US Pasteurized Milk Ordinance.

Gawd you are sto0pid, ronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Reply to
Eagle

Thanks for the explanation. Makes more sense to me, now, what is going on.

Reply to
Muggles

I appreciate you answering my questions. :)

Reply to
Muggles

Glad to help.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

replying to Paintedcow, King Arthur ll wrote: I think filtering honey leaves the beekeeper with some residues (pollen?) that they sell separately and make money from.

Reply to
King Arthur ll

Well , since I am a beekeeper ... I guess , since we're up to 7 hives now . If you look closely at the "ingredients" list of that processed honey product you'll probably find it's been cut with corn syrup - and it's damn sure been heated to thin it out for filtering . The honey from my hives is "raw unfiltered honey from untreated bees" , and the only thing in there is what the bees bring in . And (diety of choice) help you if you buy "honey" from China , there could be *anything* in there . Filtering does leave residues , but AFAIK they just get tossed .You might be thinking of propolis , a sticky substance bees make to seal up cracks and fill crevices to keep small hive beetles from hiding in them . Propolis has antibacterial and other medicinal properties , and is harvested and sold by some beekeepers . I let the bees keep it ... but I do take honey , being sure to leave them enough to feed themselves over the cold/dearth months when they can't forage for nectar . Oh , and some beekeepers also harvest pollen from their hives , but I don't . The pollen in my honey is enough to help with allergies - and fall pollen is different from spring pollen .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 07:00:07 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote in

Just curious. I'm a city boy so know nothing about this. How do you know how much honey to leave them for the winter? Trial and error?

Reply to
CRNG