Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

Page 4 of 4
On 1/2/2016 1:04 PM, Muggles wrote:

The soap emulsifies the oil. Bath water probably looks milky.
Soap and detergents have an ionic group at one end of the molecule, usually a -CO2Na for soap and -SO4Na for detergent that grabs on to water. The other end is fatty, like a 16 chain hydrocarbon and grabs onto the fats or oils to wash them off as an emulsion.
On 1/2/2016 12:15 PM, Frank wrote:

I saw picture of the molecule on one website I looked at, so the oil isn't actually breaking down the soap foam, the soap is losing it foam by breaking down the baby oil?
--
Maggie

On 1/2/2016 2:04 PM, Muggles wrote:

Yes the hydrophobic end is attracted to the oil surrounding small particles with the hydrophylic end causing the emulsion.
On 1/2/2016 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

ahhh! Thanks for answering. :)
--
Maggie

<Snip>

Well, Duh! Doesn't everybody know that? ;-)
On 1/2/2016 4:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Yeah, I keep a jug of 16 chain hydrocarbons just for oil cleanups and get rid of excess fat on a roast.

LOL That's a lot better reply than mine.
On 1/2/2016 4:36 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Conneseurs like the -SO4Na end. The hydrphyllic end is so gauche. Mine are imported.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/2/2016 4:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I don't know how broad the general knowledge of chemistry is. I have heard that about 18% of the US populace is functionally illiterate, that is, they can only read street signs and newspaper headlines but can't read in depth. I've always figured that technical illiteracy is higher. Not saying the questioner is technically illiterate but maybe depth of chemical knowledge is as high.

I moved to a different state in my junior year of high school, and that school required students to take chemistry in their sophomore year. I had all my science credits save one more class to graduate and I took zoology. I never took chemistry.
--
Maggie

On 1/3/2016 12:38 AM, Muggles wrote:

My wife had similar problems in changing schools with math.
It never hurts to ask questions and someone should not be deterred with the comment, "everybody knows that."
Nobody knows everything.
On 1/3/2016 6:59 AM, Frank wrote:

I appreciate you answering my questions. :)
--
Maggie

On 1/3/2016 2:32 PM, Muggles wrote:

Glad to help.
Frank
On 1/2/2016 4:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I was just discussing this over dinner.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

AIUI normally like will dissolve like. Polar materials will dissolve in a polar liquid and non-polar materials will dissolve in non-polar liquids. Water is polar, so I guess it's non-polar kinds of dirt that dont' dissolve in it.
Soap otoh is semi-polar, polar at one end and non-polar at the other.
So the soap adheres to non-polar molecules at one end of its molecule and to the water at the other end, making the oil (as if it were?) dissolved in the water, so they wash away when the water does.

Preventing bubbles is not the same as breaking down soap (depending on your meaning of "breaking down". ) The soap is still there but I guess it can't create enough of whatever physical characteristic is needed for bubbles. But the chemical nature and lots of other physical characteristics of the soap stay the same, iiuc.
Soap has been around for a long time, traced to 2800 or 2200BCE. Before that everyone had to use detergent.      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap

On 1/3/2016 3:37 AM, Micky wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. Makes more sense to me, now, what is going on.
--
Maggie

On 01/02/2016 07:14 AM, Frank wrote:

What brand is that? With Kraft, for example, the price is uniform across the Miracle Whip/Mayonaisse regular, low fat, and non-fat line. some of the brands that tout olive oil as an ingredient are more expensive but reading the label suggests they wave an olive at a barrel of canola and call it good.
The amount of high fructose corn syrup also seems to be inversely proportional to the fat content.