Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

Page 1 of 4
Seems to me that raw honey, which is honey right out of the hive, should be *cheaper* than filtered honey, which is honey that has been post processed.
But, pricing is the other way around. Why?

"Natural", "organic" and anything else perceived to be healthy always costs more. It is probably because the processing allows it to ship and store better.
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:41:27 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

Interesting.
On the one hand, just calling it "organic" (which they do), can raise the price by differentiating the honey from the "other" honey.
But, I wonder if raw honey stores any better than filtered honey.
They're both of very high osmotic pressure, which is mostly what keeps the bacteria and mold at bay.
Paul M. Cook wrote:

milk(which is illegal to sell) I always use raw honey supplied by bee keeper. THat is good choice. You may get stung if you eat real raw out of bee hive B4 filtered.
On 01/01/2016 12:42 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

My jar specifically says unfiltered.It has a slightly crystalline feel and never has been pourable even in August heat. It will dissolve in hot liquids and can be spread but no way is it going to work in a plastic bear squeeze bottle.
rbowman wrote:

I deal with two bee keepers one near the city one further out in the farming area. As far as I know they run it thru something like coarse cheese cloth to filter out pieces of bee hive, wing of bees like that. Pure honey is very strong and depending on which flower nectar it is coming, has different smell. Like buck wheat flower, wild flower, Acacia flower, etc. We never use white sugar, some times brown raw sugar we use.
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:48:22 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

I already used up the "Clover" filtered honey from Costco so I don't have the bottle anymore.
But it specifically says it's from bees who gather nectar from Clovers.
The raw honey bottle doesn't say what the plant nectars were, only that it was 'sourced in California, bottled in Texas'.
Here is a front and back picture of the bottle I just recently bought:
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif
On 01/01/2016 04:45 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

http://glorybee.com/honey/honey-jars/raw-montana-white-clover-blossom-honey
That's what I got at CostCo.
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 17:39:10 -0700, rbowman wrote:

That's not what my Costco store sells as unfiltered clover honey.
I only have one jar at a time, so I can't snap a picture for you of the other two types I get.
Sometimes I get the small bear-shaped jar as shown in this picture: http://costcocouple.com/kirkland-signature-organic-honey/
Other times I get the much larger (and cheaper) Kirkland brand: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Both of these seem to be "filtered" honey, which, inexplicably, is half as expensive as the raw honey I currently have from Costco.
http://grannysvitalvittles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/honey.png
Apparently the stuff I have is ONLY sold at Costco northern California: http://naturenates.com/norcal-honey/
On 01/01/2016 02:48 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

http://blog.crystalsrawhoney.com/raw-honey/unfiltered-honey-raw-honey/
That page is a little ambiguous but I assume unfiltered honey is what is drawn straight from the extractor like unfiltered cider is straight from the press.
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:28:19 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Here is a picture of my jar of raw honey from Costco, bought just last week.
https://i.imgur.com/dZ6B5vm.gif
It's twice the price of the filtered stuff from Costco for some reason.

Check your facts concerning raw milk.
http://milk.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID 5192
--
RonNNN

RonNNN wrote:

on in Ontario farmer against government. He is waging the battle with donated fund who support him. There in some cases black market raw milk but never in grocery stores.

My bad. I sometimes forget the Internet is a global thing! I suppose we all take for granted that the laws we each live by "is what it is".
--
RonNNN

Ron, I really want to try this cow-sharing, but I can't get my modem to work right.

Both sides did that.
@bigfoot.com says...

I know, and admit I was only thinking of what is legal where I live.
--
RonNNN

RonNNN laid this down on his screen :

<quote> States may adopt their own laws on raw milk sales. However, at the federal level, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) bans the interstate sale or distribution of raw milk. All milk sold across state lines must be pasteurized and meet the standards of the US Pasteurized Milk Ordinance. <end quote/>
Gawd you are sto0pid, ronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 12:42:50 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

The bottle from Costco says right there on the label that it's totally unprocessed. Straight off the hive it says (from "American bees").
If you want, I can snap a photo of the label to prove that.
So, it seems to be as cheap as it can get (from "American bees" anyway).
On 01/01/2016 04:30 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

Are those good, hardworking North American bees, or did some of those shifty, undocumented Latin American bees slip in?

They only allow bees which have a tiny red-white-blue American Flag tattoo on their wings! That tattoo is applied by the Federal Census Bureau when the bees are checked for citizenship papers, during the U.S. Census. :)