Why is oil coming out of snow blower tube?

I have an Ariens snow blower that has oil dripping out of the rubber breather tube. I believe that that is what the purpose is for - let oil out. But it seems to be a significant amount. Any idea what would cause this? Oddly enough I checked the oil level and it is still at the fulll mark despite losing what looked like a lot of oil dripping out of the tube and down the side of the unit. I can't say if this has ever happened before. I've only used this thing a few times over the past few years. I would see a very small amount of oil on the floor after using it but I never really worried about it.

I guess it's possible that the oil drips down and mixes with the melted snow and gives the "impression" of a lot of oil and maybe it's not that much. But I am still suspicious. Anyone have any knowledge about what is actually going on inside the engine that causes this?

Reply to
raymondjiii

You might have a stuck float flooding the motor and crankcase diluting the oil with gas, check the oil to see if its thin and smells like gas. I just saw a motor fully load with gas so it would not even turn over, in removing the plug and turning it over gas shot out 15ft

Reply to
ransley

It seems to start fine. It does not use any excessive gas. I heard that if you tip the unit during operation this will happen. My driveway is on a hill but not a massive hill. Every other snowblower that I've owned (they were all much smaller) never had this problem that I could see. I'm wondering if this breather valve was installed backwards or upside down???

Reply to
raymondjiii