Why is my GFCI breaker tripping??

Our three bathrooms and one outdoor outlet are on one circuit with a GFCI breaker. When my wife uses a blowdryer in one of the the bathrooms, the GFCI occassionally trips. I replaced the GFCI breaker, but it doesn't help. Not knowing what else to do, I checked every outlet, but they all look fine. I don't know what else to check. Could it be the blowdryer? Any suggestions would be welcome. I thought about putting a GFCI outlet in that bathroom, so at least she wouldn't have to go down to the basement to reset it, but if it doesn't trip the one built into the blowdryer, there is no reason to think that will help. (I suppose I could replace all the outlets with GFCIs and the breaker with a non-GFCI, but then I am looking at $60 plus time. I expect my wife would say it was money well spent.)

Reply to
JS

Try another hair dryer before you touch anything else.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Tried another hair dryer, same result. My wife claims that she plugs it in, and it is dead. She must reset the breaker to get it to work. However, then it always runs fine without tripping, until next time. The only other things used in the circuit are two electric razors, and they run fine all the time.. So, the problem seems to be turning on either of two blow dryers after not using them for a day, in either of two outlets on the same GFCI breaker.

The breaker is 6 years old. I replaced another GFCI breaker when I had problems that turned out to be a defective outlet.

This makes no sense at all to me. Please help!

Reply to
John Smith

Reply to
Jerry Levine

And the outdoor outlet...which is probably your problem.

Either put that on a different circuit...or put a switch in line so that you can turn it off when yer not usin' it.

At the very least, cap it off for awhile so that you can see if it's really the problem.

Have a nice Labor Day weekend...

Trent

Trent©