Why is it Called Pipe DOPE?

Page 1 of 2
I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the word "DOPE".
Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get people stoned when ingested or smoked?
Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes?
Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope, such as Bob Dope?
Why do you think they call it Dope?
(And if it really does induce hallucinations when smoked, how the hell do you smoke it? ...... Let me guess...... aahhhhhh, IN A PIPE? So that's why they call it PIPE DOPE.....)
wrote in message
I've used Pipe Dope for years, and always wondered why they use the word "DOPE".
Does it contain a narcotic or psychedelic substance which will get people stoned when ingested or smoked?
Or was it invented by a Dope, or only used by Dopes?
Or could it be that the original inventor had the last name of Dope, such as Bob Dope?
Why do you think they call it Dope?
(And if it really does induce hallucinations when smoked, how the hell do you smoke it? ...... Let me guess...... aahhhhhh, IN A PIPE? So that's why they call it PIPE DOPE.....)
---------------
'cause any dope can seal a thread?

But can any dope thread a seal?
snipped-for-privacy@ruhard.com wrote:

This is likely just a troll-- but I'll bite. I like words and where they came from.
I can get you back to the 19th century when it seemed to indicate any goopy mix that had a specific purpose. There was 'dope' to keep snow from sticking to your snowshoes, and 'dope' that was part of an explosives mix.
Googling also turned up a 1920's trademark infringement case where Coke-Cola wanted to own the term. They lost. [and that was after they took the cocaine out of the recipe, I think]
Jim
On 1/27/2011 6:16 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The stuff they glued airplane skins (fabric) down with is called dope also.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/27/2011 1:24 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

I remember red dope to help the high voltage in TV's from arcing. That stuff really was "Dope", one whiff and you forgot what your were doing.
?

Aircraft dope is a plasticised lacquer used for fabric covered airplanes, both real and models. My guess is that the slang term for pipe dope comes from that era. Probably ges back about a hundred years or so.
On 01/27/2011 04:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ruhard.com wrote:

Because it makes you feel better.
--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............

Just guessing on the airplane- but the early ones looked a lot like where you'd toss a couple chickens to fight. [cramped deep quarters with a screened top.]
The ships poop deck actually has its origins in just what it sounds like-- it was where you went to poop.
Jim
On 01/27/2011 09:53 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

In the oil field dope comes in five gallon buckets,joints are 30 feet long, with a pusher on every rig.
--WebTV-Mail-15193-36774 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
dope = any thick liquid or pasty preparation, as a lubricant, used in preparing a surface.
--WebTV-Mail-15193-36774 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-15193-36774--

But you don't want it stuck in the fixture, so make sure you ask for some nipple grease while you're there...
snipped-for-privacy@ruhard.com wrote:

"Placenta" was already taken. For a completely different thing.

Bub...WTF! Where did come from?!
On Jan 27, 1:29am, snipped-for-privacy@ruhard.com wrote:

The verb is "to dope (something)", i.e., to cover soemthing with a substance to accomplish a purpose. Plane dope for fabric covered planes, pipe dope to aid in proper sealing, etc.

The wall switches in my grandmother's house (K&T wiring) were push-button (two buttons, one with a white circle, one black).
On 1/29/2011 10:31 AM snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz spake thus:

Yes, I think most of us have seen those switches, which I actually like a lot; they're much in demand nowadays for folks wanting to retro-ify their old houses. (New ones are available with rotary dimmers in one of the buttons.) By the way, those switches were built like the proverbial brick shithouse and seem to last forever.
The rotary switches I was talking about pre-date those pushbutton switches.

Because it goes on pipe
On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 1:57:38 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

...some dope goes *in* the pipe!
On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 11:57:32 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY CALL IT DOPE ?
[Google a photo of a scrambled egg to find out why]
*** THAT *** Is your BRAIN on DOPE....
Yea, I remember those old commercials...
But honestly, I have never known anyone who has smoked pipe dope ! (or even "pope dipe")... If they did, they would have "Drain Bamage".