Why is dishwasher shut off switch red?

We're remodeling the kitchen and I am going to replace the outlets and switches. Is the switch that turns off power to the dishwasher a normal 15 amp switch? I dont see any for sale that are red. Whats the reason for it being red?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Not only have I never seen a red switch used for this purpose, I've never seen any kitchen mounted disconnect switch for a dishwasher. Is it a local or state code in your area?

Reply to
jim menning

Dont know about code for this. Over the counter above the dishwasher is an outlet, a red switch that controls the outlet the dishwasher is plugged into ( outlet its underneath the cabinets behind the dishwasher) and a switch for the light above the sink. The shut of switch for the boiler/furnace is in the kitchen on another wall and it also is red.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I "think" in some places you have to have a red disconnect switch for your furnace. Maybe someone thought it would be good for a dishwasher disconnect also?

Reply to
Toller

Is this by any chance a modular or mobile home? They might have different requirements.

Again, here where I am (Wisconsin), I have never seen such a shutoff switch for a dishwasher or a boiler/furnace.

Reply to
jim menning

I think a call to your local government offices is in order to make sure you comply with the rules. You are in need of a building permit anyway, aren't you?

Reply to
jim menning

Chuckle. Previous owner probably worked in an industrial environment, and had an Unfortunate Experience with a leaky dishwasher at some point. The Big Red Switch is a nice thing to have, sometimes. I had a washing machine leak and catch fire on me once, and as I was standing there in bare wet feet, I recall thinking a cutoff over by the door would be damn handy....

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

A permit to swap out some cabinets? Damned if I'd get one. Gutted my kitchen and re-did it all. Never even thought about getting a permit as there were no structural changes made.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on how far they are going with the remodeling, and the community they are in.

Reply to
jim menning

The red switch dates back to the days when oil burners were common (and before that, coal stokers) although I understand that they are still used a lot on the East Coast of the US.

Local codes varied, but the general idea was that the red switch should be placed near the entrance of whatever room the oil burner was in (usually the basement). If the oil burner was faulty or smoking, the red switch was easily identified as the emergency power cutoff. Also, the red color helped minimize confusing the switch for the room lights.

I've never seen a red separate under-counter switch for dishwasher, but its possible that local codes required them. I remember that back in the sixties, when dishwashers were still somewhat of a novel item, some local codes required a cut-off switch AND a fuseholder, at the same point.

Presumably, the idea was that when the repairman was poking around the dishwasher, he could insure that the power was turned off locally and avoid the unpleasantness of someone accidently putting the fuse back in at the main panel. (In the case of an apartment, the fusebox might be located 2 stories away in the basement - and maybe only the janitor could get into the basement. ) Such was typical of the old practice.

These days, most circuit breaker panels are located inside the dwelling unit) I'm not sure what the point of having an extra fuseholder was.

My outside air conditioner compressor has an outside fused cutout and an interior circuit breaker at the service entrance.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

In older homes in Northern Virginia & DC there was such a "red" switch at the top of the stairs that would kill power to the furnace controls. The cover place was also RED with white letering explaining the function. If you didn't know different you would think the switch controlled the basement lights. The idea was that if something seems VERY WRONG with the furnace you would not have to go down into the basement (which often didn't have an outside entrance) to kill power to the furnace.

I've have seen the switch both with natural gas and fuel oil installations.

Reply to
John Gilmer

don't you think you pay enough taxes already? you want to throw a couple hundred more at em for a permit?

Reply to
longshot

Couple hundred for permits? You must live in an expensive community.

And I like to play by the rules. I don't need the fear of doing the job wrong, and finding out insurance won't cover the damages caused by illegal wiring, plumbing etc. Or the consequences that could occur later when trying to sell a home with illegal work done inside.

Play by the rules, sleep well at night. If you are so bold to think you're too good to ever make a mistake that a proper inspection could have caught, that's up to you. I know I'm not God, I've made plenty of mistakes in my lifetime. Maybe that's why I've learned to be cautious and do things the right way.

Reply to
jim menning

its code in the chicago area to have a way to turn off power to the dish washer locally.A friends mom in a burb by chicago could not sell her home till it was up to code including putting a switch in the cab.next to the dish waser.

Reply to
Mark H

That means it's dangerous. DO NOT touch the switch or the dishwasher........

Reply to
businessman

Somehow i THINK THAT SWITCH A ND THE OUTLET UNDER THE CABS WHICH ITCONTROLS WAS ORIGINALLY MEANT FOR A GARBAGE DISPOSER.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin