Why is Champion Mortgage of Lansing MI Terrorizing The Elderly With Unwarrented Threats?

Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup but I'm at the end of my rope.
Why is Champion Mortgage, based out of Lansing, phoning elderly persons who have a reverse mortgage and terrorizing them by ignoring the tax documents sent to them by the town where the elderly person lives which show the taxes have been paid? The persons on the phone with Champion seem to be some uneducated girls who claim that the town documents don't count "we go by what the county tells us"? The county has been contacted and they say they have nothing to do with assessing taxes, they just list a base amount based on what the town tells them which doesn't include any abatements or deferrals.
These people are impossible to talk to on the phone, the people on the phone are not lawyers or professionals. How do they get away with doing this and does anyone know how to fight them?
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 03:00:21 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio

If anyone can decipher what you are talking about they may be able to help. What is Champion asking for? What tax documents? What are the terms of the mortgage regarding taxes? Are you sure it is Champion and not a scammer?
Calm down, get facts, send no money yet, if that is what they are asking for. See if your town offers any senior citizen help for this type of thing.
On 12/18/2012 10:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Nomen Nescio" seems to be the common alias of some nut who posts frequent anonymous rants. Just think "home guy" using a different alias and ignore.
Oren wrote:

Yea.
And if they call back, tell them that you'll be right over - and you'll be bringing your gun with you.
After all, that's how you americans solve problems - right?
First of all, your comment shows your level of intellect. Enough said. I have been dealing with Champion Mortgage for several years now and am at the end of my rope. And my situation is, they owe me several thousand dolla rs. I feel like I'm insane as I just allow them to take me around and aroun d the same circle. Even their so called supervisors will tell you....no pro blem, I'm gonna help you......then they drop the ball and ignore your calls . This company needs to be investigated by Obama?........oops, never mind, what good would that do?
YOUR BEST BET IS TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND IF MICHIGAN HAS ONE, THEN THE MICHIGAN BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. Reverse mortgages are a scary thing especially for the elderly who don't kn ow they have to follow up on certain documents such as the Occupancy Verifi cation (my mother has dementia and she opened the mail and put it aside - l uckily I found it and sent it in). If this form is not completed, then the y can take your house away! Very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:00:21 PM UTC-8, Nomen Nescio wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com;3090050 Wrote:

I know there are laws that Collection Agenices are required to abide by, but whether or not those same laws would extend to anyone who has a financial interest in a property, I don't know.
Certainly the case can be made that telling an elderly person that their property taxes haven't been paid would be upsetting to them since they would suspect that whomever they gave their property tax cheque to simply absconded with their money.
I would phone any place listed under Credit or Collections in your yellow pages and find out whether the same laws that protect debtors from undue harrassment by collection agencies also apply to Financial institutions like Mortgage Companies. If they don't, then there should be some branch of the US government that's the equivalent of the Canadian "Consumer & Corporate Affairs". If your mother obtained money through a reverse mortgage then she is a consumer of a service provided by that mortgage company, and has rights just like any other consumer. The US equivalent of the Department of Consumer and Corporate Affairs would be able to let you know what those rights are.
--
nestork

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com was being a full-on retard by:
a) top-poasting b) full-quoting, (double-spaced no less), and c) posting a reply to an old message that has zero chance of being read by the original poster.
Another waste of space brought to you by yet another stoopid google-grouper.
All States don't collect tax same way some places county collect tax like California in New Jersey Town you leave in collect the tax. I would demand letter from you local tax collector to write statement on the head letter with you town official stamp and if they do not accept that tell to go to hell. It is their problem to get educated!!!
YOUR BEST BET IS TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND IF MICHIGAN HAS ONE, THEN THE MICHIGAN BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. Reverse mortgages are a scary thing especially for the elderly who don't know they have to follow up on certain documents such as the Occupancy Verification (my mother has dementia and she opened the mail and put it aside - luckily I found it and sent it in). If this form is not completed, then they can take your house away! Very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:00:21 PM UTC-8, Nomen Nescio wrote:

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:00:21 PM UTC-5, Nomen Nescio wrote:

Go to legal aide and take the original contract you had with the bank that gave you the reverse mortgage. In Trenton, NJ we have a group of counselor s that can take you as a referral and they work with HUD; your mother most likely has a Fannie Mae component to her loan. Then read that contract com pletely yourself. It addresses her obligation to stay in her home for spec ific periods and what happens if you have to leave for more than two years. Champion Morgage just had me sign a document after receiving my transfer from Bank of America and they claim I have to tell them if I am gone for mo re than 2 months. I intend to take this document to legal aide. Further, if you have problems with Bank of America or Countrywide and brokers like I did, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau should receive correspondenc e copies and the complaint. Your Attorney General in your state may now ha ve a group that deals just with this sort of problem. I had a contact ther e but it took over 2 years to hear from them. The occupancy certificate sh ould be filed every year and perhaps your mother did not send it. Whatever happened, make sure that you seek help from counselors that help with reve rse mortgages even after they have been signed into a contract. You can fi nd them by contacting your State agency that helps Senior Citizens if you d o not use the Internet. Do not ignore anyone that starts to threaten your mother and could cause a stroke or any kind of episode that could harm her. The facts are the facts and a phone caller may be a person that does not have correct information. Once you correspond with the company in writing or an attorney contacts them, then the issue of taxes can be clarified. Ba nk of America servicer gave me the same hell. Told me that I did not pay m y taxes when I did. Then they took the money I arranged to send them becau se they paid the taxes and they sent it to Fannie Mae. A scam. The revers e mortgage is like Atlantic City so stick to the contract, make sure you re spond with legal assistance and make sure that each and every problem is ad dressed as soon as possible.

Good advice, but the original post is from 2012. The people have since been evicted. the house torn down and replaced with a gas station.
On 08/17/2014 01:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

Of course, something like this will NEVER happen again, and NO ONE will EVER care to read about it :)