Why is a multi-room DVR something worth crrowing about?

Page 1 of 2
In the last 4 years, up to this day, the cable companies have made a big deal about a multiroom DVR.
Why? I"ve had multi-room VR since 1984 -- would have had it earlier if I'd had a VCR earlier -- when there was only VCR, and it plays in 7 rooms, plus my attic or porch if I want, not just 3 or 4 rooms like they advertise. And it cost about 40 dollars in parts. With a fancy signal amplifier and using only home runs, I guess parts could cost 150. Either way, no monthly charge.
Just in the last month, from Verizon, and advertised on TV "The Home Media DVR service is an upgrade to the FiOS TV DVR and provides the multi-room DVR feature that is an excellent choice for people who have more than one TV in their home. With Home Media DVR, you can watch a program recorded on your DVR from other TV sets in your home that are connected to a regular (non-DVR) set-top box. Requires one or more Verizon-provided set-top boxes that are connected to TVs in other rooms in your home."
2009 This one is from a columnist at ZDNet, Sean Portnoy, who nowhere mentions that you can do this yourself, or hire a guy for an afternoon to do it. I guess he doesn't know or woudln't get press-releases if he didn't back up their marketing. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theater/time-warner-cable-to-offer-multi-room-dvrs-echostar-to-deliver-sling-media-set-top-box/606 "Time Warner Cable to offer multi-room DVRs.... With competition from satellite and fiber-optic TV competitors coming from one side, and the Internet from the other, the cable industry needs to deliver new products to keep their subscribers from defecting to the alternatives." "Multi-room DVR capabilities are definitely at the top of many cable customers’ wish lists, as having a recorded show tethered to just one TV is an inconvenience for us lazy viewers who may want to watch something recorded downstairs in their bedroom instead." "Fellow set-top box provider Echostar will deliver a slightly different Tru2way unit later this year" "Of course, these next-gen services will cost subscribers more in monthly fees, just as DVR and HD programming often do."
2006 " Verizon adds multiroom DVR The new multiroom DVR, made by Motorola, lets customers view recorded programs on up to three televisions at once."
Add pictures here
βœ–

They are using media services. My direct tv dvr shows up on my other devices as a media server. It a lot more sophisicated than simply cabling the output of a recorder to another room. You can browse and play the content on the other equipment in your house. Using the remote controls of the device you are viewing from. I think some of the regular receivers can share content from the dvr as well as other dvrs. It also expands your stored capacity as each dvr can record different shows yet they all can be viewed from anywhere.
Unfrtunately while they are using standard media services, just like 'sharing' from windows media player on your pc, the format is only recognized by their devices. Since they use standard formats for video I can only assume that they intentionally defined the properties as a format no one else understood. That's unfortunate because if they served it identified as mpg3 or 4 then other devices like pc's etc could also play the content. I can "browse" the content of my direct tv dvr from my ps3. But I can't play any of it. Because the dvr is telling the ps3 it's a format that the ps3 does not recognize.
Add pictures here
βœ–

For me, the appeal is that I can record 4 programs at the same time with 2 boxes-- then watch any of the 4 wherever I want.
I'm on a TimeWarner system, and though the DVR's have the hardware- TW hasn't implemented it yet.
Another benefit might be if my son or I happen to record something on one TV- we can watch it on another. I don't have to go to his lair to see his show- and he doesn't have to join the world to see mine.
If you're making the argument that a VCR is just as good as a DVR- then I disagree with that whole premise entirely. The DVR wins hands down on picture quality and navigability.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/1/2010 4:24 AM, mm wrote:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theater/time-warner-cable-to-offer-multi-room-dvrs-echostar-to-deliver-sling-media-set-top-box/606
You have to use one to appreciate the difference. With a VCR you are constrained to doing one thing at one time with manual intervention required to change the tape. A DVR records onto a hard drive and can record multiple programs and playback multiple programs at the same time without any need to load or monitor a tape. Also it catalogs what it recorded and since a hard drive can almost instantly seek to a location you simply need to review what is in the catalog and press play without having to sort through a stack of tapes and then needing to advance the tape to the start point.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think his point was not about DVR relative to VCR, but getting multi- room capability with either. I think he's proposing that you can extend one of either device to other rooms via an amp and cable. But as James pointed out, the Verizon and similar offerings are a lot more sophisiticated than that. If you do it mm's way, you have to start the movie in the main room and then while it's playing on that TV, you can also see the same recording simultaneously on other TVs. However, you can't control it, start, stop it, back it up, choose another recording, etc, from the other rooms and you're limited to the one recording playing everywhere.
My understanding of the Verizon product, you could be watching a live or recorded show on the one TV and then watch different recorded program in any of several other rooms that are equipped with the service.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 07:31:25 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I barely use my VCR anymore, but when I started having remote tvs in 1984 and other-room remote control later, there were no digital recorders, so I used VCRs for a starting point in time.

Yes, exactly.

But their commercials and the webpages don't mention those other things, so at the very least they are stupid commercials.

Like I say, the commercials don't mention any of this. When they had the famous football player walking from room to room for months, he didn't say a word about it.
And it's a separate thing. I've had that set of features too, going back about 15 years, using a Leapfrog IR-45 transmitter and that clips on in front of my remote control and has a receiver/IR-transmitter in the room with the equipement. For some reason, the range has finally decreased, even with new batteries, a new-in-box transmitter, and new-in-box receiver** (this model that needs only one transmitter, that sticks to the remote, is not sold retail anymore), so I'm switching to the Powermid pyramid***, or a competitor, which requires an IR-receiver/RF-transmitter in each room where one is, but it's 45 dollars for the first set, and 20 additional for each IR/RF-transitter, a total of 105 dollars for 4 rooms, no rental charges. They've sold these things for 15 years or more I think, and yet Verizon and Time-Warner are crowing about their johnny-come-lately features.
**I have to test it with the new-in-box receiver, and with still another new battery, but for some strange reason, I'm not optimistic. ***Which a poster in another group gave a hearty endorsement of.

That too, their advertising and those and other webpages don't mention.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Here's a link to Verizon's description of their multi-room DVR offering:
http://www22.verizon.com/residential/fiostv/equipmentdetails/equipmentdetails.htm
It's pretty clear there that you can watch and control different recorded programs from 3 different rooms. I did have to do a bit more looking for it than you'd expect. First few pages at Verizon were not clear, so I agree they could do a better job of explaining it. For some reason, they seem to like to focus on the fact that you can start a program in one room, like the living room, then continue to watch it in the bedroom.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 2, 9:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Does the verizon one require network connections?
The direct tv solution uses your home network. I don't think it is capable of using the coax connections. The splitters in satelite tv have to be able to swap the different frequency bands from the dish on each line to a reciever. I think that may make it difficult to backfeed signal through them to another receiver.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 06:53:47 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

The Dish setup uses an RF remote for the second receiver in each box and outputs all of the tuners you have on separate TV channels in the RF out port. I have 2 boxes, 4 tuners and 2 are DVR capable. I combine all of them on the "house" cable so I can see all 4 from any TV (Channel 73, 75, 77 and 79). I also put my Replay TV (DVR) on channel 3 and a PC that plays MP3 music or any online content I can find comes out on channel 71 using an agile modulator. A blue tooth pointing device with a well placed transmitter gives me pretty good coverage to control the PC.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 2, 11:42 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The newer set up with direct tv and verizon and maybe the att uverse the receivers talk to each other and transfer the recorded content to each other. Then the receiver that is "local" to you outputs it to that tv/monitor. That way all your tv's can be hd with hdmi connections to the receiver.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:31:49 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

I only have one HD TV and it is with the two receivers. The rest are NTSC so the cable is fine for them. All you need to run the other TVs is one of the RF remotes. Each remote runs one of my in house channels. You can also switch over to see what any of the other tuners is doing.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 2, 5:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Why would you have two recievers at one tv?
Add pictures here
βœ–
-snip-

Here's why *I* would. I have them on different TV's now- but having them both in one room has been tempting.
My boxes can record 2 show at once. There are more than 2 networks competing for my eyes- so they all try to put their best stuff on at the same time. Now they've begun to just run shows over for 1 minute so it interferes with the next show on another network.
2 receivers let me record 4 shows at once while I watch something recorded earlier.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've noticed that. Not just networks, right. Independent stations do the same thing, I think.
You clearly think they do it to interfere with the other channel. I guess that must be it. Have you read anything about that?

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 04:48:57 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

through a distribution amp to the rest of the house. The IR controller for one (the Dish DVR) is the one we use there. The IR control for the other nonDVR box is linked to a ReplayTV that just happens to be there (also outputting on the house cable). The two secondary receivers (also outputting on the house cable) are RF controlled and can be run from anywhere in the house so the physical location is not important.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Exactly. When in bed at night I can watch a show I recorded last week with the click of the remote. He has to bet his ass over to the vcr, put in the correct tape, and every room of the house has the same show at the same time. The sophistication of the DVR and remote scheduling is far superior than any single VCR. Series recordings, quick ability to change, multiple recording and playing, not to mention the quality of an HD picture.
The OP is either very naοve is is getting a chuckle from the clamoring of the DVR crowd.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:09:01 -0800, Smitty Two

Maybe it is half, or almost.

Yes.

Well now I'll have to see that movie.

Thank you.
P&M, though your email address doesn't quite look real :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
[...]

Why would anybody want to do that?
HB
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why not? My wife sometimes goes to bed early and watches her preferred show, I watch How It's Made and my grandson watches Top Gear. All recorded and FF past the commercials.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/2/2010 6:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What channel and when is How Its Made still showing on? I haven't tripped across it in the last year or so. I love that show.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–