Why I shop at Ace Hardware

Page 3 of 5
Doug Miller wrote:

Sadly, I don't agree. US made products (what few there are left) are almost as likely to be crap.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Doug Miller wrote:

Sure I have (bought power tools or kitchen appliances lately).
The fact is, there are almost always more expensive choices available, no one is forced to buy the "cheap" alternative (except maybe for kitchen microwaves and a few hundred other items).
For example, last year I bought a cheap table saw for $99 (Ryobi). I COULD have bought a SawStop CB31230 for a mere $3,470 (MSRP). That thirty-three hundred dollar savings bought a lot of beer!
You ask "how is that an improvement?" Simple. For me it was a choice between a saw for $99 that does an acceptable job and something that cost prohibitively more that may do a perfect job. For your position, my choice would have been between the more expensive item and nothing. Had your dream been reality, I'd be cutting boards with an X-Acto knife!
Your criterion of "lasting a generation" is slightly flawed. I didn't WANT the item to last a generation - durability wasn't even on the list! In my case, the saw I bought did the job (cutting laminate for three rooms). Had the saw failed immediately after the flooring job was complete, I'd have been satisfied. As it is, lasting 18 months is a 17-1/2 month bonus!
Now if I had wanted a saw to pass on to my son, maybe I'd have sprung for the three-thousand dollar model. But with my luck, my son would have turned out to be a hair dresser, the saw would end up as scrap metal, and I would have missed out on a lot of beer.
HeyBub wrote:

These weren't "purists", they were people who live in the community and value the resource that WalMart was ready to ruin. It is a gorgeous site, not just land that nobody else wanted.

Which "pattern"? Open land? Chicago has miles of waterfront parks, the result of folks long, long ago who knew the value of open spaces. You can ride a horse close to downtown Chicago, drive for miles with a view of the park and the water, hold an outdoor rally for a million people, have a picnic and visit a great museum, hop on a bus or train to go home. BTDT.

Cool, work at Walmart and spend in Chicago. Works for me :o) And the wages, no doubt, add tremendously to the economy....well, if the employee's two other jobs are counted. FWIW, the Miami PD had how many thousands of applicants for one of the worst jobs in the country. Avg. length of employment is about 2 yrs, I believe.
So, a one-owner (and repair) shop sells small appliances, TV's, stereos. He can't run it alone, so he hires a couple of skilled people to learn the repair end and give him some time off. His employees draw loyal customers, not just shoppers for the cheapest deal...and adds to the value of the original purchase by having a place to service it.

When companies ship jobs out of the country ... yesterday it was one of the computer mfg's, I think ... who do they think is going to be left with a wage that can buy their product in the US? I keep asking myself.

a wedding chapel...Walmart can do the photography. Hot dog cart or a massage parlor might work. Or is WalMart doing massages?
So, has either of you read Deep Economy by Bill McKibbin?
Makes sense to me! (not usually a top poster, but someone might like to refer to the thread that provoked this response from me)
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:22:08 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

KLS wrote:

No, I haven't read it. From the review, however, it's apparent the author is a loon. His premise seems to be that economic growth, and its consequences, is untenable. We're running out of natural resources, etc.
This concept is not new - the prophecy of economic doom goes back at at least to Malthus, with his book "An Essay on the Principle of Population" in which he postulated "The power of population is indefinitely greater than the power in the earth to produce subsistence for man."
In 1968, Paul Erlich wrote "The Population Bomb," with the prediction that we (or at least most of us on the planet) would die by the end of the 1980's. His doomsday scenario was predicated on the belief that we were running out of the resources necessary to provide for an increased population.
One of the critics of Ehrlich's hypothesis, was Julian Simon, an economic theorist. In 1980 Simon proposed, and Ehrlich accepted, a wager. Simon said to Erhlich, "pick any five commodity metals and I'll wager $1,000 that they'll be cheaper in a decade." Erhlich agreed to the wager and picked copper, chrome, nickle, tin, and tungsten. Here are a couple of the prices (adjusted for inflation):
Chrome - from $3.90/lb in 1980 to $3.70 in 1990. Tin - from $8.73/lb in 1980 to $3.88 in 1990.
Simon won the bet big time. (Ehrlich also offered to bet $10,000 the Britain would cease to exist by 1990, but Simon thought that was too silly to fool with.)
This was in spite of the world's population increasing by 800 million in the same decade.
I, for one, am not willing to even ENTERTAIN the idea of the wife washing my shirts by pounding them with a rock on the stream bed.
HeyBub wrote:

I don't know either Simon or Ehrlich (although I have heard of them)..the date was wrong, but clean water is a problem in many areas of the US. China and India have horrible problems with air and water pollution. I just saw a headline about California nearing total lack of water for irrigation of farm fields due to drought (can you say "food supply"?). They have an energy crisis every time the weather gets hot. The NW US has a bad drought. N. Atlantic fisheries are badly depleted of certain fish, like cod. The Gulf of Mexico has cut back severely on grouper fishing. From all appearances, we are glad to go to war (pick a reason) to have some control of the oil supply. Clean coal? Guess there will be jobs for those Americans who don't work at WalMart.

Horsesh*t. There is no shortage of POTABLE water in virtually ANY place in the US.
Admittedly, one might have to drill a deep well to get it in a few places but, for the VAST majority of Americans, clean water is readily available. Our rivers are clean, our streams are clean and, with rare exception, our ground water is pristine.

California could slide into the Pacific ocean and, within a short time, their lost agricultural output would be replaced by other producing areas of the world. Yeah, we'd have to settle for Florida or Honduras oranges, and, temporarily, for a higher price, but we'd muddle through.
California would not be the agricultural giant it is today were it not for the foresight of the mega builders of the early 20th century. If the regulatory and environmental restrictions of today were in place then, California would be a desert today and drought would be common.

You don't say? <Duh!>
You don't suppose that fact could be due largely to the fact that they haven't upgraded their power grid for the last 20-30 years.
But, not to worry: They're erecting windmills and solar farms. If they're lucky, it'll keep up with the increase in their population.
Then, again, they'll probably just tax their citizens so much that their population stagnates or, better, declines to meet their power generating capacity again.

Global warming.

Climate change.

Hurricane Katrina.

Sounds good to me. We could build solar and wind farms like never before and still be plunged into darkness and cold if the oil stopped.
Oh, yeah! In case you haven't heard: There IS *NO* "alternative" energy. Not yet, anyway. And probably not for a LONG time to come.

Yep. Clean - as in SCRUBBED clean. The same goes for oil.

You forgot nuclear power. StratCom has LOTS of it and the <coff, hack> "fine" folks in the Middle East know it - probably not well enough, but I hope they don't make us demonstrate it. We WILL get the oil. Unlike all civilizations of the past, however, we'll pay $$ for our plunder.
Then: We have nothing to fear but FEAR itself.
Now: Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.
Wotta POS.
--
<sigh>
JR

My wife would insist on an automatic rock.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I would hope she would tell you to wash your own damn shirt.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

It's a division of labor. She washes my shirt and I fix her rock when it breaks.

Oops. You're exactly right: She would.
Then, she would surely volunteer to mow the lawn half the time (she's done it once in >35 years) and shovel the snow (I don't think she's EVER done it) - to name a few outdoor things.
I've changed my mind: She would insist on an automatic rock.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

What colors are available?

Hehehe! Will that be a top- or front-loading rock?
--
:)
JR

Try automatic Rock .... dot com.....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'll entertain the idea of beating to a bloody pulp anyone who entertains the idea of me washing their shirts by pounding them on a rock.

any money now..It seems when money is tight some fall off their high horses and buy things where their dollar buys the most..I chuckle seeing all the Volvos , Saabs , Toyota Landrovers and SUV's packing the Walmart parking lot theses days..Speaking of Autos , how many of you Walmart bashers drive AMERICAN autos?? Or does your buy local American made only apply to retail stores and hardware stores ??? I suppose Walmart is to blame for JUNK American cars too and not the union and bad management...I suppose you all also think the unions had nothing to do with pricing themselves out of the market and forcing the companies over seas to compete...You guys crack me up.....LOL....
clipped

I almost forgot - my '84 Buick runs fine. A tad rusty. Only lemon I ever bought was a brand new Datsun. Owned three Chevy's, one new; all great cars. Agree the unions have priced themselves out of many jobs, and have no sympathy for that - another major problem for manufacturing is the Worker's Comp. system - ought to be trashed, but no pol' will ever have the guts to suggest that. Unless Obama gets universal healthcare, but highly doubtful even then. My grandkids don't work yet, but they will have to pay off our horrendous debts first.
Saturn was a great little car - for a while. What happened with Saturn? Dumped in favor of trucks and SUV's?

What model Buick, and how many miles on it?
Best buy I ever had in a used car was an '84 LeSabre, bought in 1991 at about 55K miles... sold it in 2001 at 209K, still running fine. The only major repair was a transmission rebuild at 150K.
Doug Miller wrote:

Regal. The odometer quit at 106k. Heck, I could get it painted and sell it as a low-mileage granny car. It's actually on it's fourth older driver. The first two only put on 12k.

benick wrote:

REVENGE OF THE LITTLE PEOPLE, sounds like a good movie title. *snicker*
TDD