Why I hate Norm Abrams

Well, I don't personally hate him. Don't even know the guy. (Certainly no fan of his, though.)

But that's the title of the latest piece by one of my favorite columnists in the /Berkeley Daily Planet/, Matt Cantor, local owner of a home-inspection business who writes a weekly column on home repair and maintenance.

Here's a sample:

I do genuinely hate these specific shows: "Hometime," "This Old House" and "The New Yankee Workshop." I hate them for one simple reason: they make most people feel like idiots. Even if a show only demonstrates how to build a basic chest of drawers, it does a lousy job of preparing the average Joe or Joan for the task. In the end, the show provides nothing more than boutique shopping and showing off. I suppose that would be a lot of fun if you only want to learn that you?as a homeowner or stock broker or bank clerk?know nothing about houses or furniture or nails and that you?ll never stand a chance of doing more than hanging a picture on the wall.

On shows like these, the jobs are made to look so darned easy. All the materials are waiting for assembly and nothing is spoiled, the wrong type or missing. The air gun never misfires and the compressor never needs to be drained (yes, you have to drain compressors daily because they fill up with water and will rust out if you don?t do so). That?s another thing I hate: in actuality, there are many small details that fill a contractor?s day (or your day when you play contractor) but they?re neatly edited out, just as they are in a cooking show. Just pop the raw one in the oven and Voila, the new freshly baked one comes right out of the other oven.

(See article at

David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4a91df05$0$17176$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Reply to
TD

Doesn't matter much, we all know who is being referred to. And, to be honest, Norm Abrams rolls off the tongue much more easily that Norm Abram. Hell, considering how often people mispronounce his last name, he should change it to make it easier on everyone else. :)

Reply to
Upscale

The only thing I don't like about those shows is that they make it seem like it can be done in a day and everybody can be there working at the same time....The looks I get from people when they get the news the drywall is gonna take 2 or 3 weeks for their new house and nothing else is gonna be happening inside while we are there.."You mean we can't install the cabinets and trim the windows till your done "...I answer , NO you're gonna get your crap outta here so we can walk around on stilts and not kill ourselves and roll our staging around.....LOL.....

TOH and TNYW are good shows , very informative and I don't include them in the other idiot shows...

Reply to
benick

The guy is well enough known that they named a tank after him. That's pretty cool!

3.....2.....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

on 8/23/2009 8:30 PM (ET) David Nebenzahl wrote the following:

It's just entertainment, and not a learning program. I suppose many of the viewers don't have any thoughts of building anything they see on the show, or even have the tools to build it. I put it in the same category of shows like "How It's Made" and "American Chopper", where the viewer is not looking for a way to make a Hockey helmet or a custom motorcycle.

Reply to
willshak

"willshak" wrote

American Chopper is less and less about motorcycles. It more and more about the Tuetel family soap opera. And watch daddy get rich while he drives his sons away. There has been a couple recent episodes where less than ten minutes of the show had anything to do with building a bike.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Is the show even on any more? I have not seen any new episodes since Spring. IMHO it has always been about the drama and I don't really think daddy drove his sons away, more like pushed them out of the nest. It was mostly Sr.'s fault for putting up with the nonsense for all those years. I would have fired both of the sons long before now. Mikey is pretty much a distraction, no more no less. Paul Jr., no work ethic.

Reply to
Leon

That show has sucked for years now. It was cool in the beginning. Now it is nothing but grand entrances, false dead-lines and stage-craft... and family drama, because we are the voyeurs of human drama and family feuds. We love to slow down at the scene of an accident. Sick.

Reply to
Robatoy

Leon.... it's not real any more. It is the writing crews of Day Of Our Lives...or As The Stomach Turns.

Reply to
Robatoy

Even if the accident is staged.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yup. All stagecraft. Like many of the feuds between celebrities.

Reply to
Robatoy