Why I hate Norm Abrams

Page 3 of 5

I don't like the idea of dumbing it down too much either. There's plenty of shows that do that already ~ shows that with a budget of .69 cents and some decorative flair, anyone can drastically improve their home.
But, I do watch for two things. The first is the new idea, technique or tool that I haven't seen before. And the second reason I watch is to get an idea for building something. I'm certainly not the greatest woodworker out there, but if I see some project I like, I'm advanced enough that I can usually run with it and build my own modified version.

They are definately not woodworking for dummies shows but I get a lot of good ideas from them. Most of us know it is going to take all day to do one step in his .project that it takes 5 minutes to do on TV. That is just just the reality of DIY hobby woodworking. Hell it took me 4 months to build my wife a cedar chest. Now my daughter wants one and expects me to have it built over a weekend. Now thats the problem with those shows. I t gives unrealistic ideas to those who want you to use your woodworking skills for them.
Jimmie

Its a Show, you are to only get ideas from it, or do you think they should spend alot of their time scraping paint, taping, cutting etc, then it would be boring and off tv. I bet they make a very good living, and thats why they do it.

Yea but at least once in a while, ya know..like first Saturday of the month or something, show a DIY roofer plug a nail into his kneecap. Make a nice lead-in to removing it on the Operation show..

LOL......
You kid, but.... My late brother, a master carpenter, DID put a 16 box through the last 3 fingers of his hammer hand w/ a nail gun. Amazingly, missed all bones. He was hand hammer framing within a week.
nb

I chose that bit because a guy I worked with did roofing on the side and actually did it. Firemen brought him off the roof with a strap around his thigh and lower leg to keep it from unbending it and moving. It was pinned.
A 1-1/4 is a lot different than a 16 but then again, I never heard anyone actually make a choice between the two.

I don't know about that.

That's my bitch. Let's make a box. Here, we have my new nuclear powered, laser guided, atomic clock timed, whiz bang hand saw........ The last episode of This Old House I watched, in disgust, a huge crane and crew of 10 lowered pre-stressed concrete walls into the basement of the rustic cabin, which they had apparently completely dismantled and stored away in a climate controlled warehouse, somewheres. And Yankee Workshop. "Today we will show you how to construct and use this pre-Columbian horse drawn hand plane........"
That was the old PBS stuff. Today's DIY is much better. I tuned in for the much needed "deck" episode. "Here's the old deck. Sucks, doesn't it. Here's our crew of twenty. Look at'em go! Done. Tune in next week" WTF!
I get more info here, in a day, than I got from years of watching those useless shows.
What I've been looking for, and have only been teased, is a dead simple, dirt cheap, outdoor woodfired bread/pizza oven. Apparently the Ancients could build millions of them for centuries using only dirt, water, spit and elbow grease, but for some reason, now it's utterly impossible with anything short of $1500 worth of brick and mortar and another $129 for plans. Not sure if I need the whiz bang hand saw.
nb

*I've seen at a couple of festivals in NJ a restored 1930's truck with a wood fired pizza oven mounted on back. The guy makes delicious fresh gourmet pizza. I can't remember the name of the company.

Have you seen this one?
<http://mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/wildac07b.htm
Lots more:
<http://mha-net.org/html/lyle/lyle01.htm
(no bricks!) <http://mha-net.org/html/lyle/lyle04.htm <http://www.geocities.com/mosesrocket/

I can imagine the materials bill for either of them.

Now this is more like it. I'll definitely check out both sites, specially the masonary heater site. Thank you.
nb

You think you can order the plans for the pizza cutter they were using? LOL
notbob wrote:

Mother Earth News has plans on how to do this.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2002-10-01/Build-Your-Own-Wood-Fired-Earth-Oven.aspx

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2002-10-01/Build-Your-Own-Wood-Fired-Earth-Oven.aspx
Excellent. Not as detailed as I could wish, but enough to give me solid ideas in right direction. Thank you.
Funny you should find it in MEN. I read that magazine for years after its first issue. Musta given away a few hundred copies. Glad that stuff is online.
nb
notbob wrote:

I haven't built one but I plan to. I think the key to success is making sure you have enough sand in the mix to control shrinkage. Otherwise when it dries it will crack and it will fall apart possibly into what you are cooking.
notbob wrote:

MEN has an archive CD available and it's only $60. It goes back to 1970...
http://www.motherearthnews.com/shopping/detail.aspx?itemnumber629
David Nebenzahl wrote:

What do you expect? It's Berkeley, where the odds of using any tool for its intended purpose (as opposed for deviant sexual practices between consenting gophers) is next to nothing. They are good at "building" Molotovs and joints there, I have to admit ...

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

LOL, those were my thoughts exactly. Someone from Berzerkely finding something to whine about, yeah, why am I not all that surprised?
Jon (who also enjoys watching NASA launch rockets into space, and doesn't feel that incompetence should be encouraged to make idiots feel better about themselves).
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:42:10 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

It is pretty sad that part of the launch reporters feel the need to report that nothing is falling off the shuttle, though. :)
Jon Danniken wrote:

Well, in fairness, Berzerkely did give us BSD Unix ... sort of ... with the help of the best and brightest from the then Bell Labs crowd. This ultimately gave us TCP/IP and the internet. The irony is that this was funded by ARPA - the research arm of the Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil government military technocrats. I wonder how many of the smelly hippies stumbling against the cause of the day realized that their CS department was building a technology infrastructure designed to be survivable (by the military) in the face of nuclear exchange.
As to Norm - I rather like his show. I am smart enough to realize that you do not build an armoire' in 22 minutes plus commercials, even with every tool Porter Cable makes. I also don't much care for his aesthetic sensibility. BUT ... it's nice to watch a master craftsman doing his job. It's an good insight into how grown up WWing is done for us relative rookies.
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

There were certainly quite a few brilliant minds to came from that area at the time, that is certain. Pioneering minds, embodying the spirit of the West, as it were.

The thing I got from watching Norm was the intricacies of his jigs. While the 30 seconds he showed using the jigs didn't illustrate the time spent in creating and aligning the jigs, it still sparked the concept in my brain that the prepwork was really the fundamental reason for success in making things.
Jon