why high current ac plugs harder to remove?

Is it just my imagination or is it a little harder to pull an AC plug that has been carrying high-current (10 A or above)out of its socket than a low current (1 A or so) plug? If so, anyone know why?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

All things being the same (receptacle/same type plug)..."your imagination"!

Reply to
bob_villain

Do you mean the plug was easier to remove before the current went through it?

Or do you just mean the big plugs capable of high current are harder to remove?

Sort of related: I've found that no one sells the female end of extension cords that have 3 outlets and go on simple lamp wire. Now everything is heavy-duty, and the only one meant for lampcord has only one outlet. Are light-weight extension cords a violation of code or FTC rules or something?

Reply to
Micky

Micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes

Reply to
KenK

The higher current may have heated the contacts a bit and expanded them?

Reply to
philo

The heavier duty plugs have a u-shaped ground prong that is harder to pull out than plugs with round ground prongs.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

Heavier-duty outlets tend to be manufactured with thicker copper that is "stiffer" than the thinner copper used in Walmart type outlets.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If you run too much power thru an outlet and cord, you can actually WELD the cord's prongs to the outlet contacts. Then you may never remove it. I've seen this happen several times. The only solution is to replace both the outlet and the cord (or the plug on the cord).

Reply to
Paintedcow

Generally brass, actually

Reply to
clare

YES. I have never seen copper contacts! They are always brass.

Reply to
Paintedcow

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc posted for all of us...

What does this tell our esteemed audience?

Reply to
Tekkie®