Why Give Advice Here?

Page 2 of 2
RLM wrote:

Silly person. I do own a barrow-full of Microsoft stock, but that in no way influences my position.

But had you not inserted Linux into the discussion on teaspoons and motor oil, I would not have responded. I don't object to Linux when the discussion is about moles or tar paper or even how many dollops per pint. It may come as a shock to some, but the number of teaspoons in a pint or rods in a furlong can be divined without appealing to the Linux god.
In the words of some great worthy, "The only way for Linux to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
Add pictures here
✖
evodawg wrote:

that has

why I

Very interesting replies. Wondering why so many got so defensive? I was merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer. I have given away many secrets and knowledge on this newsgroup and this is the thanks I get. I should have expected this from some but not the majority of posters. Attacks were uncalled for. ***********
Simple answer...you said it has taken you a lifetime to learn what you know. Where did you learn it? Obviously, by asking questions of people who knew more about it than you did at the time, it's called give and take. You will never know all there is to know about everything in your lifetime, so hopefully when you come up against a problem you can't solve, you will ask, and someone will know the answer. You should be willing to do the same IMO. :-)
Cheri
Add pictures here
✖

re: Wondering why so many got so defensive?
Please go back and read your original post, paying close attention to the tone. Make believe you didn't write it and imagine how it might come across to others.
You state that "some of these people should be paying for the advice that *I* (only you?) took years to learn." That comes across as pretty arrogant, considering that you are not the only one giving away free advice. (BTW - Which "some" should be paying? Do certain people deserve free advice while others do not?)
re: I was merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer
You didn't ask a question, even though you put a question mark at the end of a line - that was just an incorrect use of punctuation.
"Tell me why I should be giving this info out for free."
"Tell me why” is an order, not a question. Once again, it comes across as arrogant when you order us to tell you something.
As others have said (please don't get defensive) if you don't want to give your knowledge away for free, stop responding. No one will fault you; no one will ask "Hey, what ever happened to evodawg?" Feel free to open a pay-for-answers site and charge others for your expert opinions. That is certainly an option and I wish you the best of luck.
Add pictures here
✖
evodawg wrote:

There are people who are unable to deal with others on a social level. Wallflowers, geeks, wierdos, I'm sure you are very well acquainted with those terms and many others like them.
These people fail to understand the most basic concepts of human relationships, and for the most part can only find companionship with a pet rock or a computer.
Classic examples of Darwinian theory. They are unable to reproduce as the only thing they can find to mate with are their own hands, which ironically even hate them.
One thing I've found over the years is that truly knowledgeable people are always willing to share there knowledge with others. It's the ones who don't have a clue that attempt to impress others with something that doesn't exist.
So tell us what is the correct way to ask a customer if they would like fries with their order?
LdB
Add pictures here
✖
L D'Bonnie wrote:

Think you nailed it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
L D'Bonnie wrote:

"Quisiera usted la comida frita con esto?"
Add pictures here
✖

I get paid very well for my knowledge. I also get a very nice bonus every year because the company runs well and make a profit. To do this, I share all of the knowledge I have with others so they too, may do a good job and together we all make a lot of money.
Some of the best knowledge I have was gained from others that shared with me. I, therefore, have no reason not to pass it on to others. From your writing, my guess is that you have a lot of knowledge, but little wisdom. Once you learn the difference your attitude may change.
Add pictures here
✖
"evodawg" wrote

You shouldn't.. There are PLENTY of experts already doing it at:
www.allexperts.com
What a great website, and YES, they re giving it away for free..You STAY HERE and keep holding out for the big bucks
Add pictures here
✖
Well...kind of ironic you boast about running a free OS that has been created by the spirit of giving and sharing on the part of hundreds of programmers who aren't in totally for the money.
We all share when we can since none of us know everything.
Of course maybe YOU do know everything and you wrote every line of code of the OS you use in which case maybe you can't learn from others.

"You can lead them to LINUX but you can't make them THINK" Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586
Add pictures here
✖

Simple, for pure entertainment. Its entertaining to write, its entertaining to help others. Its entertaining to find out if I am full of it or not.
Unfortunately that's probably why the trolls, flamers, grouches, bullies and idiots post on Usenet as well.
That lifetime of learning had to come from somewhere, why not a Usenet newsgroup or a forum. Wisdom kept to ones self is diminished.
OTOH, you shouldn't share trade secrets or patented processes here particularly if you own them. Most everything in the topic of home improvement is public domain so you're not saving anything for yourself anyway. Knowledge is potential value but doing has real value.
Add pictures here
✖

My grandfather gave me good advice once. Boy! Come down out of that tree. You're "gonna" fall. Sure as shift I fell out that tree a few minutes later.
A boss asked me in 1977, what would we do, if there was a prison riot.
He explained: that what he would do, is call on the knowledge / experience of his staff and execute the policy for emergencies.
Some time I need to talk with people that are best qualified to decide the merits.
Give it away to keep it.
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

If I give someone advice on a subject that I know something about but he doesn't, he may be inclined to post in reply to a query about a subject that I don't know a whole lot about but he does.
Or, we could all just hoard all that knowledge that we've acquired to ourselves. But then, how do we acquire it? By doing stuff wrong all the time until we finally hit on the combination that works? That's an expensive way to learn.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I could just throw all my ideas against the wall and then see what sticks. It makes my head hurt!
The School of Hard Knocks; teaches me not; TO DO that again.
Add pictures here
✖

It's called voluntary public service. You don't have to participate unless you want to do so.
Instead of posting here, use that time to find new clients or service existing clients. It's up to you.
Dick
Add pictures here
✖
evodawg wrote:

You shouldn't. You're much too good for us.
--
Black candidate endorsed by former Exalted Cyclops and Grand Kleagle of the
KKK! Film not at 11 or any other time... you\'re not supposed to know this.