Why Give Advice Here?

Think you nailed it.

Reply to
evodawg

Same thing on the Microsoft newsgroups.

That is, in (for example) microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, you'll find those same rude, pompous Linux users.

For every question or observation, their answer is: "You're an idiot for not installing Ubuntu!"

They don't tell you that you have to put a bone through your nose to make it work.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've seen this before from you HeyBub and suspect that you possibly own some Windows stock.

In a past post here in this group, I brought up using a program called "Units" by using a command prompt (DOS Prompt to Windows users) in Linux to find how many teaspoons were in a pint to figure out how many teaspoons of oil would have to be added to a pint of gas for a 50/1 mixture for a weed eater question in this group.

The answer was 96 teaspoons are in a pint. The tank only holds about a pint, so two heaping teaspoons of oil should be all that's required per tankful. I thought this was a good response to the question at the time.

Your response was the same then, word for word attack on Linux.

But no help from you with the original posters question.

Now to address snipped-for-privacy@private.com.

I'm sorry to hear that.

When I built the first box from scratch I was determined that I would install Linux and ordered three different distributions from a site that I found on Google that carried cheap Linux Cd's. I read up using the old windows box on the differences first, for a first time install.

You are correct that some of the earlier versions were hard and archaic to install. Not able to understand why the different parts of the system were on different partitions was just the start.

I turned to news groups also for the distro I was installing and found that after I explained my problems were due to being a first time installer of Linux and had to use a windows box to post. It was plain that I wasn't a troll to the group. The distro was Red Hat and with some patient help they walked me through the first install.

I don't use Red Hat any more because it is more of a business distribution now. It was replaced with Fedora. I use Mandriva 2008 Powerpack, both a 32 bit version on an older box and a 64 bit version on the latest box build now.

Mandriva used to be known as Mandrake but there was copyright problems with the name. So it was changed also.

I've installed many different distributions over the years and just built two new 64 bit boxes for my wife and myself.

My wife wanted Windows and I purchased a version of Windows XP just this month to install for her. She plays games on-line with other folks and the games are ported to Windows. I refused to go with Vista after reading reviews. I have XP that came on a laptop and dual boot all boxes and the laptop so my wife can sit down and use any machine in the house.

I found that going to the group for the distro that I was installing offered open help for that distro. I know that you are correct and many are rude and the only response they offer is "Read the F**king Manual" and suspect that *they* are short on information and want to be treated as elite individuals that they are not.

Others will bend over backward to help. Like all groups this one included that's just the way it is.

There are clear help files that come with each distribution just as there is with Windows but in both cases the operating system must be functional first to read the files. Go figure!

The "versions" that I refer to as "distro's" all work the same in the end and each distro is a collection of different software. Some distro's use different program installers but even the crudest and possibly the most stable distro's software is installable on every other distro. You just have to learn how. The software is backward compatible no matter which distro you choose unlike many Windows programs with the introduction of Vista and 64 bit computers.

Once you get used to using Linux it is not chaotic. I find it much better organized than Windows and install Windows much the same as Linux is installed.

I create a small C: partition and only install the operating system on that partition and name it Windows. Nothing else is installed on this partition.

On linux this partition is called "root" and is designated only with a forward slash i.e. "/" less the quotes. It is password protected by a

*unique* password that each person chooses when they install Linux. To install any software you have to know this password. This is the "Kernel" or core of any system.

This is the first point of security with Linux because to run a virus you would have to include every possible password guess with a virus for it to self propagate and spread. Only the administrator could install a virus on his machine if he was foolish and ignored all the prompts that would pop up urging not to install this program. Even then it can't spread unless all program administrators were brain dead.

With Windows I create another partition and put all programs and their installer folder in each program folder. I name this partition "D:Programs". Ta-Da!

Linux knows this as "usr" by the way. It can be on the same partition or a separate partition as root "/" .

I create another partition and put MY Documents and all personal files, pictures, whatever I don't want lost if I have to reinstall Windows on this partition. This I name, "E: My Information", partition.

Linux users know this as "Home". It isn't overwritten with a fresh install when the 2009 version comes out. So my personal information stays intact year after year.

"If" Windows were ever to crash and the only "possible" solution was to reinstall the operating system "Windows". Then I only loose the information and updates and the registry files that each installed program added to the C: partition.

Linux users usually backtrack here and find what they broke and correct the problem with help from others that have made the same mistake.

In this regard I believe Linux users are more receptive to fellow Linux users and that is a shame. Much of the best help come from a few of the best many times though in Linux groups.

I do buy the latest distro every year of Mandriva Powerpack and reinstall the latest version so my system is only months old as opposed to XP's years. Maybe Vista won't last very long and those that bought a computer with Vista may get a newer system before it's years old like XP to replace a system that reviews offer as plagued with problems.

To all the rest that read this group, Sorry for the rant.

I did mark it Off Topic though.

Reply to
RLM

I get paid very well for my knowledge. I also get a very nice bonus every year because the company runs well and make a profit. To do this, I share all of the knowledge I have with others so they too, may do a good job and together we all make a lot of money.

Some of the best knowledge I have was gained from others that shared with me. I, therefore, have no reason not to pass it on to others. From your writing, my guess is that you have a lot of knowledge, but little wisdom. Once you learn the difference your attitude may change.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Silly person. I do own a barrow-full of Microsoft stock, but that in no way influences my position.

But had you not inserted Linux into the discussion on teaspoons and motor oil, I would not have responded. I don't object to Linux when the discussion is about moles or tar paper or even how many dollops per pint. It may come as a shock to some, but the number of teaspoons in a pint or rods in a furlong can be divined without appealing to the Linux god.

In the words of some great worthy, "The only way for Linux to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Reply to
HeyBub

"Quisiera usted la comida frita con esto?"

Reply to
HeyBub

On Tue 20 May 2008 08:08:05a, Tony Hwang told us...

And you are representative of the best on this group, Tony. Evodawg is at the opposite end.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

"evodawg" wrote

You shouldn't.. There are PLENTY of experts already doing it at:

What a great website, and YES, they re giving it away for free..You STAY HERE and keep holding out for the big bucks

Reply to
Rudy

Well...kind of ironic you boast about running a free OS that has been created by the spirit of giving and sharing on the part of hundreds of programmers who aren't in totally for the money.

We all share when we can since none of us know everything.

Of course maybe YOU do know everything and you wrote every line of code of the OS you use in which case maybe you can't learn from others.

"You can lead them to LINUX but you can't make them THINK" Running Mandriva release 2008.0 free-i586 using KDE on i586

Reply to
HeavyG

Simple, for pure entertainment. Its entertaining to write, its entertaining to help others. Its entertaining to find out if I am full of it or not.

Unfortunately that's probably why the trolls, flamers, grouches, bullies and idiots post on Usenet as well.

That lifetime of learning had to come from somewhere, why not a Usenet newsgroup or a forum. Wisdom kept to ones self is diminished.

OTOH, you shouldn't share trade secrets or patented processes here particularly if you own them. Most everything in the topic of home improvement is public domain so you're not saving anything for yourself anyway. Knowledge is potential value but doing has real value.

Reply to
pipedown

My grandfather gave me good advice once. Boy! Come down out of that tree. You're "gonna" fall. Sure as shift I fell out that tree a few minutes later.

A boss asked me in 1977, what would we do, if there was a prison riot.

He explained: that what he would do, is call on the knowledge / experience of his staff and execute the policy for emergencies.

Some time I need to talk with people that are best qualified to decide the merits.

Give it away to keep it.

Reply to
Oren

If I give someone advice on a subject that I know something about but he doesn't, he may be inclined to post in reply to a query about a subject that I don't know a whole lot about but he does.

Or, we could all just hoard all that knowledge that we've acquired to ourselves. But then, how do we acquire it? By doing stuff wrong all the time until we finally hit on the combination that works? That's an expensive way to learn.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I could just throw all my ideas against the wall and then see what sticks. It makes my head hurt!

The School of Hard Knocks; teaches me not; TO DO that again.

Reply to
Oren

It's called voluntary public service. You don't have to participate unless you want to do so.

Instead of posting here, use that time to find new clients or service existing clients. It's up to you.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

You shouldn't. You're much too good for us.

Reply to
clifto