Why Give Advice Here?

Page 1 of 2
Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I should be giving this info out for free?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Most folks would call it kindness and good will. Everyone has something they can learn. Everyone also has someting they can offer, and will usually will do so freely. If you're unwilling to do that, you clearly don't belong here, putz.
--
Wayne Boatwright

here.

I don't know, why do you use Linux? Same idea.

Why is it that everyone that runs Linux is an asshole !!!
Good Riddance asshole !!!
PLONK
snipped-for-privacy@PlonkYou.com wrote:

They're not. It's merely a personality defect called "validation." Same as religious folks who knock on your door.

Promoter of Linux or just some dopey signature? IMHO if you want answers, don't send mixed messages.
As for giving free advice, I do it all the time in my profession, but, if you come back wanting specific details that will take considerable time, I won't do it without compensation.
snipped-for-privacy@PlonkYou.com writes:

I would hope evodawg is just trying to start a discussion. As an apparent Linux user I think he knows why people some times give away valuable things for free.
As for you, Mr Plonker, your comments are offensive.
Yes, I'm running Linux, plonk me too. Please.

Yes Charge them.
evodawg wrote:

merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer. I have given away many secrets and knowledge on this newsgroup and this is the thanks I get. I should have expected this from some but not the majority of posters. Attacks were uncalled for.
As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought process. I don't use Linux because it's free, although that is a good selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!
Have a NICE DAY! I need to go to work now and get paid for my KNOWLEDGE!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Because you may some time need a info for yourself. I am a retired EE but I never charged some one who is in need of my knowledge and experinece. Life is to give and take. All my desktops and laptops in the house are dual boot. Windows and Linux.
On Tue 20 May 2008 08:08:05a, Tony Hwang told us...

And you are representative of the best on this group, Tony. Evodawg is at the opposite end.
--
Wayne Boatwright

I think you are too wonderful for this group. Please don't soil yourself by participating here any further.

Did I lose count or are you reading posts that I don't see? I have Google groups blocked of course. I only saw one negative reply.

It's in your signature.
I can't tell you why you give advice for free, only you would know the answer to that question.
evodawg wrote:

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not cryptic enough.
At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.
HeyBub wrote:

operating systems of similar vintage, marketed using questionable tactics into a position of dominance, with nothing really to recommend it except it was cheap.

You must be referring to Unix.
Several years ago I decided to give Linux a try, on a spare computer. I found it frustrating to decide which of the hundreds of versions to try. I finally just picked one, based on the fact they would send a free CD in the mail, and it was supposed to be one of the easier ones to use. I attempted to install it, got it 'sort of' installed, but I found myself puzzled with many things. It was more or less an operating system that would boot up, but did little more. I began looking for software to make the thing functional, and soon found that more often than not, I needed a different version, or no software existed for a particular need.
Using my MS computer, I went to the linux newsgroups to ask questions. That's where I found some of the rudest people I have ever met. Rather than assist with the version I was using, most suggested another version, and I would end up in the middle of flame wars. It was only a matter of time before I said "this is bullshit", and gave up Linux forever.
MS is far from perfect, but when I need help, I can go to their website, and it clearly defines each version, and each one has clear help files.
If Linux is as great as some people say, how come they have never come up with a universal version. Why are there several hundred versions, which are not compatible with each other, and above all, why are the users so rude, particularly to newcomers? They seem to boast about their OS, yet when it comes to someone new, they treat them like trash.
If Linux has 0.86% of the desktop market, it's not likely to go much higher considering the state of chaos it's in. There's just no standards, and one needs to be a computer whiz to use the thing. Maybe that's why this thread started. Linux users seem to be the least likely to want to help anyone. At least when I have gone to a Windows newsgroup, there are many people willing to help.
snipped-for-privacy@private.com writes:

In those several years, there have been dozens of new releases. Unlike Windows, it doesn't take 5 years for a new version to be released.

Because anyone is allowed to create a new version. If you have special needs, go to distrowatch.com and find the version that fits your needs.
Otherwise do what the majority are doing, try Ubuntu.
As far as them being incompatible with each other, you're wrong.

I can't say, but if you ask for help with the attitude that Windows does X, why doesn't Linux, you're asking for it.
All the Linux Usenet groups I frequent are very helpful. But it's Usenet, there's always someone that will be rude.
snipped-for-privacy@private.com wrote:

Same thing on the Microsoft newsgroups.
That is, in (for example) microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, you'll find those same rude, pompous Linux users.
For every question or observation, their answer is: "You're an idiot for not installing Ubuntu!"
They don't tell you that you have to put a bone through your nose to make it work.
snipped-for-privacy@private.com wrote:

I've seen this before from you HeyBub and suspect that you possibly own some Windows stock.
In a past post here in this group, I brought up using a program called "Units" by using a command prompt (DOS Prompt to Windows users) in Linux to find how many teaspoons were in a pint to figure out how many teaspoons of oil would have to be added to a pint of gas for a 50/1 mixture for a weed eater question in this group.
The answer was 96 teaspoons are in a pint. The tank only holds about a pint, so two heaping teaspoons of oil should be all that's required per tankful. I thought this was a good response to the question at the time.
Your response was the same then, word for word attack on Linux.
But no help from you with the original posters question.
Now to address snipped-for-privacy@private.com.

I'm sorry to hear that.
When I built the first box from scratch I was determined that I would install Linux and ordered three different distributions from a site that I found on Google that carried cheap Linux Cd's. I read up using the old windows box on the differences first, for a first time install.
You are correct that some of the earlier versions were hard and archaic to install. Not able to understand why the different parts of the system were on different partitions was just the start.
I turned to news groups also for the distro I was installing and found that after I explained my problems were due to being a first time installer of Linux and had to use a windows box to post. It was plain that I wasn't a troll to the group. The distro was Red Hat and with some patient help they walked me through the first install.
I don't use Red Hat any more because it is more of a business distribution now. It was replaced with Fedora. I use Mandriva 2008 Powerpack, both a 32 bit version on an older box and a 64 bit version on the latest box build now.
Mandriva used to be known as Mandrake but there was copyright problems with the name. So it was changed also.
I've installed many different distributions over the years and just built two new 64 bit boxes for my wife and myself.
My wife wanted Windows and I purchased a version of Windows XP just this month to install for her. She plays games on-line with other folks and the games are ported to Windows. I refused to go with Vista after reading reviews. I have XP that came on a laptop and dual boot all boxes and the laptop so my wife can sit down and use any machine in the house.

I found that going to the group for the distro that I was installing offered open help for that distro. I know that you are correct and many are rude and the only response they offer is "Read the F**king Manual" and suspect that *they* are short on information and want to be treated as elite individuals that they are not.
Others will bend over backward to help. Like all groups this one included that's just the way it is.

There are clear help files that come with each distribution just as there is with Windows but in both cases the operating system must be functional first to read the files. Go figure!

The "versions" that I refer to as "distro's" all work the same in the end and each distro is a collection of different software. Some distro's use different program installers but even the crudest and possibly the most stable distro's software is installable on every other distro. You just have to learn how. The software is backward compatible no matter which distro you choose unlike many Windows programs with the introduction of Vista and 64 bit computers.

Once you get used to using Linux it is not chaotic. I find it much better organized than Windows and install Windows much the same as Linux is installed.
I create a small C: partition and only install the operating system on that partition and name it Windows. Nothing else is installed on this partition.
On linux this partition is called "root" and is designated only with a forward slash i.e. "/" less the quotes. It is password protected by a *unique* password that each person chooses when they install Linux. To install any software you have to know this password. This is the "Kernel" or core of any system.
This is the first point of security with Linux because to run a virus you would have to include every possible password guess with a virus for it to self propagate and spread. Only the administrator could install a virus on his machine if he was foolish and ignored all the prompts that would pop up urging not to install this program. Even then it can't spread unless all program administrators were brain dead.
With Windows I create another partition and put all programs and their installer folder in each program folder. I name this partition "D:Programs". Ta-Da!
Linux knows this as "usr" by the way. It can be on the same partition or a separate partition as root "/" .
I create another partition and put MY Documents and all personal files, pictures, whatever I don't want lost if I have to reinstall Windows on this partition. This I name, "E: My Information", partition.
Linux users know this as "Home". It isn't overwritten with a fresh install when the 2009 version comes out. So my personal information stays intact year after year.
"If" Windows were ever to crash and the only "possible" solution was to reinstall the operating system "Windows". Then I only loose the information and updates and the registry files that each installed program added to the C: partition.
Linux users usually backtrack here and find what they broke and correct the problem with help from others that have made the same mistake.

In this regard I believe Linux users are more receptive to fellow Linux users and that is a shame. Much of the best help come from a few of the best many times though in Linux groups.
I do buy the latest distro every year of Mandriva Powerpack and reinstall the latest version so my system is only months old as opposed to XP's years. Maybe Vista won't last very long and those that bought a computer with Vista may get a newer system before it's years old like XP to replace a system that reviews offer as plagued with problems.
To all the rest that read this group, Sorry for the rant.
I did mark it Off Topic though.