Why dont they make #16 metric line wrenches

Every GM truck made in the late 80s and early 90s (and possibly others) seems to have #16 metric fuel line fittings. I have a set of SAE line wrenches, and some of the smaller metric sizes. I am barely able to hammer on a 5/8 SAE wrench (which I tried on a junked line). That told me it was a metric #16. I tried a #16 open end wrench and it fits perfectly. However, on any lines, I try to use line wrenches to avoid stripping them. I decided to add another line wrench to my tool box, and found they do NOT sell #16 line wrenches. I went to True Value hardware, Tractor Supply, NAPA, O'Reillys Auto, and CarQuest. Of the stores that do sell any line wrenches. All of them were #15 on one end and #17 on the other end of the same wrench. No one has a #16. WTF???? All these GM vehicles use that size and no one sells the wrenches..... Has anyone on here ever found one? Where?
Thanks
JW
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote: -snip-

I'm not familiar with the term 'line wrench' - but is this what you want? http://www.bloomertool.com/FlareNutWrenches.html
They have a 14/17 & a 14/16 Jim
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Most anywhere, I'd think...
Google returns roughly 10000 hits for "16mm flare nut wrench" including Sears, S-K, a number of Amazon associates, ...

IME, you'd be wrong.

yes, but if the OP was trying to find them in a brick and mortar store, he was likely disappointed. Even Sears doesn't seem to *stock* any metric line wrenches at all in my area, so he's likely going to have to order them over the interwebs.
nate

I agree after going to 5 stores and 3 of them being auto parts stores.

I suppose there are places online to order them, but why should anyone have to order a simple wrench online? First off, when I work on a vehicle, I need the tool NOW, not 10 days later when it arrives in the mail. Granted, if it was a specialty tool, I would not expect every parts house or hardwarte store to stock it, but this is a simple line wrench, or flare nut wrench if that's the word they use these days (because they were called line wrenches in the past). If no one used this #16 size, then it would be a "specialty tool", but this is a very common GM size. I must also say that I have bought several large box/open end wrench sets in metric, and they always skip some of the sizes. WHY???? #16 is one that seems to be skipped too, and yet is used often. Sure, a 5/8 is close, actually 5mm smaller, pounding it on a bolt head is one thing, but not on a line.
Finally, not everyone has online access, so for them ordering tools online is not an option. While I do have internet, I dont much care for shopping online for anything. Not only because of the wait time to get it, but also because it costs more for shipping and normally I have to drive to the post office to pick it up, which is the same distance as going to Napa or Carquest. (unless the package fits in my mailbox).

16mm is less than five thousandths of an inch larger than 5/8". In forty years of doing my own maintenance on domestic and imported cars and bicycles, I have *never once* encountered a 16mm nut that I couldn't fit a 5/8" wrench on.
FWIW, though, if you Google using the correct term -- "flare nut wrench", not "line wrench" -- you won't have any trouble finding one.
On 07/06/2010 03:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Most places that sell individual tools. I had to buy a 15mm separate for bicycle hub nuts. My set didn't have 15 or 16.
--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............