Why dont bottle jacks work on their side?

Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to jack an I-beam sideways, jacking it from an existing I-beam. I tried 3 bottle jacks, a small 2 or 3 ton, a 10 ton, and a 30 ton. None of them work on their sides but work perfect when upright. WHY??????
What else can I use?
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

handle side down. I'm guessing that the oil isn't reaching the pump if you have the handle side up.

Wouldn't that put the handle on the floor, under the jack?
How would one operate it?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

With the jack a couple inches off the floor.

Must have a pretty short handle...
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It shouldn't be a big problem if the handle is parallel to the floor and a couple inches above it.
Sideways -- handle sticking out to the side.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

He didn't mean with HANDLE down. Many have the pump on the side of the jack and the handle at such an angle that if the jack is laid on its side with the PUMP (handle side) down, the handle will swing horizontally.
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 18:30:24 -0500, Dean Hoffman

That's not possible. This beam is under a floor. I cant work the handle if it's up. I did try it on the bottom and both sides. It dont work.
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 04:44:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

mount everest, or on the moon.
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:49:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That'll do. Or here's the cheap version of what my son uses in his shop. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=porta+power They use Mac, but the shop pays. Might be able to rent. I hope you're being VERY careful.
Father and son in Chicago got killed when they were doing some jacking under their house some years back. Reason I remember is it raised a big stink, and I happened to have the roof and the 2 floors of the big back porch of my 2-flat hanging on 40' ladders and screw jacked timbers while I replaced the 6"x6" posts. I finished before an inspector got wind of it.
--Vic
--Vic
On Oct 23, 7:14pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Perhaps a scissor jack from a car?
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/144870_lg.jpg

10 bucks at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html
or the one from your car even.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: ...

They have gravity fed reservoir and aren't designed for it. Uncovers the internal port letting internal air in on side.

Automotive repair hand cylinder would be one alternative other than a screw jack.
dpb wrote:

They normally operate properly vertical, or horizontal with the pump side down which will still allow oil to gravity flow to the pump.

Anyone doing structural jacking of I beams should:
1. Know how to position a bottle jack for the purpose
2. Know Enerpack intimately and use a separate pump and cylinder in situations where a bottle jack can't be used
The last time I recall reading of someone using a bottle jack on I beams, the result was a parking garage collapse with quite a few construction worker casualties.

What is Enerpack?

Nothing is going to collapse. The building is a trailer house and has been there for years, but there are two beams the length of the trailer, and there are weak metal parts of the frame welded between them. The last owner overtightened the straps that attach to the ground and caused these pieces between the beams to warp. That caused the whole floor of the trailer to become domed in the middle. The beams are not straight up and down. I need to shove them apart about an inch so they are straight again. Then I'm placing treated 4x4's in between them to prevent this problem.
I found my solution to the problem. I bought one of those adjustable lolly columns (jack posts) made for basements. I put it sideways, cranked the beams apart, put in my tight fitting 4x4 and removed the jack post. Then I go to the next one (about 6 feet apart). I did half the trailer so far and it's working great. Once I get the 4x4s in, I can kick those flimsy metal pieces between the beam and straighten them out. I'm then bolting them to the 4x4 with lag bolts.
This trailer was built on a pretty crappy frame. Then the last owners screwed it up with overtightening the ratcheting ground anchors. But I'll fix it.
On the end I added the 4x4s it's really solid now.
Great job. We have every confidence in you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Horizontal with the pump side facing down, pump handle moving horizontally.

Enerpack is a major producer of industrial grade portable hydraulic equipment for all manner of rigging, lifting, shoring, etc. applications.

Turn the work on its side.
nb
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Because they suck oil up from the bottom. On their side there is no oil on the bottom.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-heavy-duty-portable-hydraulic-equipment-kit-44899.html
--
LSMFT