Why don't US bathrooms have floor drains?

Thats a common thing you see in Japanese bathrooms with relatively new construction. They actually use a one piece unit that is fabricated offsite. The first time I saw one I thought that is the way a bathroom should be built because it is so practical and easy to maintain.

Reply to
George

I find it difficult to squat over a hole in the floor and read the newspaper, thank you.

As for consuming less, that is good, but I want to consume enough paper to properly clean up after a bowl movement.

Since you are enlightened, do you have a toilet or do you just use the drain pipe?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not all of us have the correct center of gravity, not to mention the ankles and knees, to successfully squat. It is a learned skill, in any case, unless you kept doing it from toddler age when squatting like a monkey was a natural posture. Personally, I can squat for about 10 seconds, then my ankles and knees insist rather forcefully on a change in posture. Very seldom would that be enough time to take care of business. In the modern world, waiting until you HAVE to go is seldom an option- you go when you have time and/or available facilities. (One of Lydon Johnson's few memorable quotes- 'Never pass up a chance to go to the bathroom')

If you actually care about this, I can recommend a text- 'The Bathroom', by Alexander Kira.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On Sat 21 Jun 2008 11:29:15p, Dave told us...

Isn't there at least a wash basin in there too, to use after you've used the toilet?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 07:13:22a, Tony Hwang told us...

We used to have a cat that was toilet trained. She would sit on the edge of the toilet seat to do her business. We tried to teach her to flush, and occasionally she would do it.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Bob F

Not if it's directed out through the wall, bypassing the stack, like the OP said.

Reply to
Mitch

You want an easy to install half-bath? That will fit under a stairwell? I saw one in a book where industrial equipment was used for architectural purposes.

The bath?

It was a lavatory from a scrapped airliner!

Had almost everything needed in a VERY compact space.

I don't know if the flush water was blue - would be nice touch, though.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm sorry to learn of your bowel problems.

Ever see a human $#!t standing up? Go ahead and $#!t like a dog in a park - but not in my parks

Save on toilet paper. Wipe you @$$ with your hand.

What a marroon!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Anthony, you described it very well. It does take a lot of forethought and work.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
*+-Because the traps would dry up and stink would come into the room or

That may be the reason.

But now they have all sorts of gadgets for high-rises to deal with that.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

In some countries water is recycled (kitchen, bath, toilet) before being sent out..

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Have you see the Swiss/Japanese self-cleansing bowls, aka automatic bidet?

Soon, they may be required under ADA disability statutes!

A thing comes up and sprays your arse with water.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Hey, what about having a little tube to rinse the walls?

They were trying these self-cleaning public toilets here in NYC a decade ago.

When you are done, it steams itself clean.

Perfect for all the hobos this town is full of.

(Especially the elected ones.)

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Yes, I stayed in a mini-hotel just outside of Tokyo. Cramped but spotless. My head couldn't fit in the shower upright, though. Showered while hunched.

*+-Thats a common thing you see in Japanese bathrooms with relatively new *+-construction. They actually use a one piece unit that is fabricated *+-offsite. The first time I saw one I thought that is the way a bathroom *+-should be built because it is so practical and easy to maintain.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Most bathrooms in commercial buildings do have floor drains. Interestingly, many of them are installed so as to be the high point in the floor. The floor tile installers don't bother to adjust the height of the pipe or perhaps don't know how.

Reply to
Ed
Re: Why don't US bathrooms have floor drains? open original image

replying to Percival P. Cassidy, TravellingGophers wrote: So when "sewage water" flows out of this, people literally use hands to scoop sewage water out of toilet bowls bending head next to sewage water while doing. People use plungers and toilet snales which cause splashes around the bowls and they bend their head down to wipe "sewage lumps" off the floor and apply harsh chemicals to disinfect the floor and the part the sit on. Then the put their buttoms on the surface coated with harsh chemical. Instead of having a simple irrigation system developed many century ago to help ease their lives, they choose to bend their heads down to use hands to wipe of lump of feces. It is different mentality. Again you see the type of people who instead stick with the topics, attack the Australians. Floodings and weather issues are everywhere including North America and people do not move away after hurricane in FL or horrid winter in the Midwest or wild fire in CA. They build toilets where they live no matter what kind of weather they have to face in different seasons. Maturity is another thing. Please stick with the topic.

TravellingGophers

[...]

Davej

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

This is why we must think about the Space Patrol. It's too late after they have the upper paw.

Reply to
Tekkie®