Why don't US bathrooms have floor drains?

Page 3 of 3
On 06/21/08 08:16 pm Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:

You didn't read my description of the Australian one, did you? No trap; it didn't need one, because it wasn't connected to the sewer. No way for things to crawl up it, because of the metal flap on the outer end.
Perce
*+-Because the traps would dry up and stink would come into the room or
That may be the reason.
But now they have all sorts of gadgets for high-rises to deal with that.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Same reason people build homes in flood plains.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?

When I was in OZ last year, I was surprised to see these drains in the floor. But none of the showers had doors, just pull around curtains. Did not see a bathtub in any house or motel.
My bathtubs and my sinks have overflow valves and there's a plunger next to every toilet.
Also in the States, most county/city plumbing codes does not allow waste water to be dumped on to the ground.
Dick
Dick Adams wrote:

Hi, Sink has over flow? Not any more here. Specially in the hospitals. They don't wnat dirty water coming back up.
"Dick Adams" wrote

Dick, you nailed it. USA safety codes do not allow 'grey water' dumping. It has to go to a septic or sewer. So his actual design (flowing to the ground outside) isnt legal here.
We do sometimes have floor drains, most often in public restrooms or gyms, but they lead to the sewer lines.
Laws in OZ are not the same. They allow for grey water diferences. Such as recycling the shower water to the toilet for flushing. It's based on their lower fresh water amounts than we generally have so adaptions have been made.
Now in Japan, you will have 2 rooms vice 1 like in the USA. One has a toilet and may have a sink (often over the back of the toilet tank and frequently with those no hot water tap). This drains right into the water holding tank for flushing the toilet. This is called 'the toilet room'.
The other room is the bathing room or 'bathroom', often has laundry setups in there separated by a glass door from the actual bathing portion. Will have a sink, a tub (deeper than USA ones usually) and a hand held showering device with a long cable.
You wash outside the tub enclosure first then hang the handle up and step in the tub (after washing off and rinsing down into the floor drain). The handheld showerhead may have a wall fixture with several heights (some of which are child shower and some adult) but it will not be over the tub most likely. Reason is, you wash before you get in there, not while in there'. The fancy traps that catch hair etc, are in the floor drain and not in the tub drain.
Because then, they're called Locker rooms.

Have traveled to lot of different European countries and also Africa. Floor drains seem to be everywhere. Also note (as mentioned below) that many countries have not yet discovered the "shower curtain". So you spray water all over the floor and ergo the drain becomes handy/necessary. On my next remodel I will be installing a ceramic tile floor with construction similar to a built-up shower pan. Yes, it will have a drain. I love the idea of just coming in with a mop, wiping the floor and hosing it clean.
Ivan Vegvary
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Yup, During global hopping days, been to more than 100 different places on all continents. All in all, we N. Americans live a life style of excessive waste on every thing. It is not good. Time to start change. The sooner the better.

From a practical standpoint, it adds a lot of cost and complexity to the construction of the bathroom.
We built a "european style" curbless shower in our master bathroom. I had to plan for this during the framing stage so I could frame the shower floor lower than the rest of the house floor. This also entailed adding additional footings to support the transition in the floor structure.
Then we had to install the shower drain, and build a slope with mortar into the floor so water would run towards the drain. After that came the waterproofing membrane and tile.
We LOVE our large open bathroom. No shower doors or curtains, plenty of room to move around, it's easy to clean and mop the entire floor down without worring about leaks, and far fewer problems with mold and mildew with the better air flow.
However, it's a lot more work to build than slapping down a sheet of plywood, and sliding in a ready made tub/shower unit.
Anthony
HerHusband wrote:

Thats a common thing you see in Japanese bathrooms with relatively new construction. They actually use a one piece unit that is fabricated offsite. The first time I saw one I thought that is the way a bathroom should be built because it is so practical and easy to maintain.
George wrote:

You want an easy to install half-bath? That will fit under a stairwell? I saw one in a book where industrial equipment was used for architectural purposes.
The bath?
It was a lavatory from a scrapped airliner!
Had almost everything needed in a VERY compact space.
I don't know if the flush water was blue - would be nice touch, though.
Yes, I stayed in a mini-hotel just outside of Tokyo. Cramped but spotless. My head couldn't fit in the shower upright, though. Showered while hunched.
*+-Thats a common thing you see in Japanese bathrooms with relatively new *+-construction. They actually use a one piece unit that is fabricated *+-offsite. The first time I saw one I thought that is the way a bathroom *+-should be built because it is so practical and easy to maintain.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Anthony, you described it very well. It does take a lot of forethought and work.
Ivan Vegvary
Hey, what about having a little tube to rinse the walls?
They were trying these self-cleaning public toilets here in NYC a decade ago.
When you are done, it steams itself clean.
Perfect for all the hobos this town is full of.
(Especially the elected ones.)
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Most bathrooms in commercial buildings do have floor drains. Interestingly, many of them are installed so as to be the high point in the floor. The floor tile installers don't bother to adjust the height of the pipe or perhaps don't know how.