Why don't US bathrooms have floor drains?

Page 2 of 3
On 06/21/08 04:35 pm topservicepros wrote:

The one in Australia wasn't in the middle of the floor. It was in the corner closest to the bath and shower and farthest from the door. The floor had a slight slope toward that point.
Perce

I'd say it's not done because it's an added cost and IMO, it's not very practical or aesthetic. You wind up with a drain, which isn't attractive somewhere. And unless it's in the middle of the floor, it may have to be a good distance away from all the possible overflows, eg sinks, tub, shower.... To get the geometry right so that the floor will slope to some obscure corner drain ain't trivial. Plus, you'd have to make sure the floor is watertight along the way, or some water is still going to go where it shouldn't.

Because we don't pee on the floor?

Not from what I've seen in "men's rooms"

USA. Good to be back home.

On Sat 21 Jun 2008 07:12:45p, Dave told us...

Where is your toilet located? In the kitchen? I assume you reserve the bathroom for bathing.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Now you have my curiosity up. What room are your toilets in?

(water closet)
On Sat 21 Jun 2008 11:29:15p, Dave told us...

Isn't there at least a wash basin in there too, to use after you've used the toilet?
--
Wayne Boatwright
In some countries water is recycled (kitchen, bath, toilet) before being sent out..
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I don't know but I think we *should* have them. If it were up to me I'd have floor drains in each room and suspend all furniture from chains so the whole place could be hosed down.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You're right. Tim Taylor though of these things.
some handicap bathrooms have no step into shower, shower drain is lowest spot in bathroom. takes care of both issues
being 51 years old, i want one of those, in case i live long enough to need it.
on 6/21/2008 7:15 PM k said the following:

Urh,Urh,Urh,Urh. With a Binford 132 HP pump.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I stayed in a Venice hotel room a bit like that, with a ceramic floor and a shower head sticking out of the wall high up in one corner of the room. No tub or curtain, with a drain that went right out into the canal.
Nick
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Because the traps would dry up and stink would come into the room or rodents could crawl up them.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?