Why don't ovens have temp gauges

You set the temp, thats you gauge, but buying an additional thermometer is a good idea

Reply to
ransley

You may be making the assumption that everyplace in the oven is the same temperature at any given time.

The most appropriate place for a sensor would probably be right in the center of the cooking area, and that would be in the user's way. Sensing at a point that isn't in the way may not give accurate results.

If you're really "hot" about getting more accurate temps, you'd probably be best off using a probe-type thermometer.

If you're cooking a roast, for example, it's the temp inside the roast that you're most concerned with.

Reply to
croy

This confirms what I suspected about the inaccurate temps. At work we have big industrial ovens for baking electronics and there are strong fans that circulate the air inside. The temp never wavers more than a degree, if that (until we open the door). Residential ovens would probably need fans to achieve the same accuracy but that would be more expense and noise.

Reply to
Van

re: "Residential ovens would probably need fans to achieve the same accuracy but that would be more expense and noise."

They call them "convection ovens" and they are readily available in the consumer market in styles that range from toaster ovens to full ranges.

Google convection ovens

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've had two convection ovens, one years ago and one recent. Neither auto set the temp back 25 degrees, but their manufacturers, and most manufacturers, for that matter, say to set it back 25 degrees because convection cooks faster, whatever that all means. And, why is it always 25 .... why not 30 or 20?

Reply to
Art Todesco

At a small cooking school I attended, we had commercial convection ovens. The instructor said they baked at 50 F deg hotter. No doubt all ovens are different.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Hot water? You had hot water? We had to boil it on the stove!

Just so we could get cleaned up to walk to school uphill. And walk uphill home again.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

re: "The instructor said they baked at 50 F deg hotter"

What does that mean?

Does it mean that the internal temperature of the oven was 50 degrees hotter than the setting or that they *acted* as if the internal temperature of the oven was 50 degrees hotter than the setting or that the setting had to be 50 degrees lower than what the recipe called for?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I got my first replacement electric water heater, it was fine afaicr. When I got the second one (perhaps unnecessarily), 5 years ago, it was not hot, so I set the temp up a tiny bit twice, and it was hotter. But still not so hot I could burn myself. I likeed that, and couldnt' decide whether to make it hotter still.

Used to be one could adjust it without taking off the cover plate, but to keep the foam panel without holes, now the two screws, the cover, and the foam has to come out.

When I had to wash some dishes by hand, it suddenly occurred to me the water wasn't hot enough. Plus I already knew that if the bath water wasn't hot enough, once it was half full, the hot water couldn't correct that.

I think the guy I bought the hosue from recommended 140 and said it washed dishes better that way (even though the dishwasher has a heater. This was discussed here before, but I didn't mention the wh temp. )

That is stupid. I once found a washing machine, spent about 90 minutes fixing it, most of that time disassembling and repairing the lid switch. After I had the lid switch repaired, I stuck a paper wad in the switch so the lid always seemed to be closed. I guess I coudl have just bypassed the switch!

I do whole cycles with the lid open. I'm old enough not to stick my arm in.

Reply to
mm

I thought you were the Dean of Dufas U. Is that different from Doofus U., rah rah?

Reply to
mm

"Pre-" is commonly used two different ways in the English language.

1) Pre-x means "before x". (pre-dawn, prepubescent) 2) Pre-x means "do x before (and usually facilitating) something else." (predefine, pre-drill, pre-heat)

Larry Fishel

No silly, "Dufas" is a proper name, "doofus" is an adjective. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

? "Art Todesco" wrote

Rule of thumb that I've heard is 25 - 25. Twenty five degrees cooler for

25% less time to equal a conventional oven. My brand though, gives temperatures for cooking meat higher than most. We like the results too. Most do roast beef at 325 to 350. We do everything at 400 or higher on convection. Great results!
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

? "Cindy Hamilton" wrote

You had a stove? We had to rub two rocks together to make heat to cook. Took hours to make a cup of tea.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You had rocks? We had to pound sand until it turned into a rock. Took hours to make a rock.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

you had sand? we had to grind 2 rocks together to make sand.

Reply to
chaniarts

You had hours?

We had to pound minutes until they turned in hours.

Took hours to make an hour.

Reply to
DerbyDad03