Why don't ovens have temp gauges

Page 2 of 2
On 2/14/2011 10:20 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

I've had two convection ovens, one years ago and one recent. Neither auto set the temp back 25 degrees, but their manufacturers, and most manufacturers, for that matter, say to set it back 25 degrees because convection cooks faster, whatever that all means. And, why is it always 25 .... why not 30 or 20?

At a small cooking school I attended, we had commercial convection ovens. The instructor said they baked at 50 F deg hotter. No doubt all ovens are different.
nb

re: "The instructor said they baked at 50 F deg hotter"
What does that mean?
Does it mean that the internal temperature of the oven was 50 degrees hotter than the setting or that they *acted* as if the internal temperature of the oven was 50 degrees hotter than the setting or that the setting had to be 50 degrees lower than what the recipe called for?
?

Rule of thumb that I've heard is 25 - 25. Twenty five degrees cooler for 25% less time to equal a conventional oven. My brand though, gives temperatures for cooking meat higher than most. We like the results too. Most do roast beef at 325 to 350. We do everything at 400 or higher on convection. Great results!

My girlfriend long ago moved to a very small apartment in a very expensive n'hood, and her stove didn't have a temp setting on the oven, just a valve. I got her an oven thermometer and said I wanted to borrow it for a day or two to see if my oven temp matched my oven setting.
She didn't want to lend it to me, and sort of called me an Indian giver.
Earlier I had replaced the dial string on her radio and had her buy the package of dial string. I wanted to keep what was left, but she said it was hers and I couldn't have it.
But she was fun while it lasted.
?

Given that some have 50 degrees swings during the cycles, it would drive a lot of people nuts just watching the thermometer.

I have a Kitchenaid electric which is about a year old. You set it digitally to the desired temp. The oven starts out by showing "low" until it gets to the minimum temp that it will display, which I think is 160 or so. Then it starts showing the actual temp, increasing until it reaches the set point. After that, I don't think it shows variation, at least I've never seen it do it. It justs shows the set point and continues to do so, even if you open the door.
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 05:52:56 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

Ah. That must be what has happened.

Probably because consumers aren't interested in paying for it.
At the risk of sounding sexist, women don't want that much information.
Old recipes often refer just to a "slow" oven or a "fast" oven.
Cindy Hamilton

Gosh, don't they understand that the success or failure of a roast depends on sampling temperature to three significant figures every 30 seconds for two hours? Don't they understand that having more numbers in front of them validates their intellect?
Next you'll tell me that many of them don't know what power factor their fridge is running at or what perils await if the counter outlets are installed ground-pin-down. They sure are lucky they've got us around. Now excuse me, I see a switch plate that doesn't have its screw slots lined up. Hey, did you move my tools? I've been keeping them right here on the counter next to the sink.

For "fast" you opened the draught and threw in some coal. Even more if someone was drawing hot water.
Chip C Toronto

Hot water? You had hot water? We had to boil it on the stove!
Just so we could get cleaned up to walk to school uphill. And walk uphill home again.
Cindy Hamilton
?

You had a stove? We had to rub two rocks together to make heat to cook. Took hours to make a cup of tea.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You had rocks? We had to pound sand until it turned into a rock. Took hours to make a rock.
--
Tony Sivori
Tony Sivori wrote:

you had sand? we had to grind 2 rocks together to make sand.

You had hours?
We had to pound minutes until they turned in hours.
Took hours to make an hour.

You set the temp, thats you gauge, but buying an additional thermometer is a good idea
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:27:20 -0800 (PST), Van

You may be making the assumption that everyplace in the oven is the same temperature at any given time.
The most appropriate place for a sensor would probably be right in the center of the cooking area, and that would be in the user's way. Sensing at a point that isn't in the way may not give accurate results.
If you're really "hot" about getting more accurate temps, you'd probably be best off using a probe-type thermometer.
If you're cooking a roast, for example, it's the temp inside the roast that you're most concerned with.
--
croy