Why don't mice figure out the moustrap?

Millions of alcoholics have figured it out. That's why they don't drink anymore.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Those are the *smart* ones!

Reply to
Danny D.

I don't take any pleasure in killing them either. None whatsoever.

I don't mind letting them go at the small overhang where I dump the live rattlers - but that means a dozen humane traps first.

And, I guess, it's not humane unless you constantly *check* the traps, as I don't generally travel to the pumphouse (except when the backflow valve is acting up - and - well - thanks to you guys - that backflow valve won't be acting up anymore).

The traps are in the crawl space of the house, so, humane traps are problematic in inaccessible areas (they'd just be starvation traps - which doesn't sound all that humane).

Reply to
Danny D.

I guess it's the same. Why alcoholics ... gamblers ... druggies ... etc., can't stop what is clearly harmful.

It does seem similar.

I should get some of those as I already have a spot I throw all the rattlers I catch so I may as well throw mice there so that the rattlers can play with them.

What humane traps that I can get at Ace/HomeDepot/Lowes do you recommend? (I'll need about a dozen or so.)

Reply to
Danny D.

The rattlers are NOT doing their job! I agree with you.

I do have some new rat traps, but they're inside the house. These nasties are for outside.

They seem to have caught two sets of 'dumb' mice but the smart ones may have figured 'em out by now.

Reply to
Danny D.

I keep a jar of peanut butter that my sister's kids made a mess of where it's all over the walls but most of it is gone.

After the kids are done with the peanut butter, it can catch rats for a couple of years sitting on my garage shelf with the rest of the oils and greases and chemicals.

Reply to
Danny D.

Their vermin that destroy stuff and can spread disease. Why worry if the traps are humane?

Reply to
Muggles

I guess that makes sense, but where I live, we have mountain lions and foxes and coyotes, and all of them have figured out that humans are dangerous, so they stay away from us (for the most part).

Also, animals must figure out what plants are poisonous, right? Or what animals to run away from, right?

So, they must figure out *some* stuff. But not mousetraps.

Reply to
Danny D.

They aren't pets, and killing them shouldn't be a problem, imo.

Reply to
Muggles

Why can't you figure out this topic is not what this group is about?

nb

Reply to
notbob

"Danny D." wrote

| What humane traps that I can get at Ace/HomeDepot/Lowes do you recommend? | (I'll need about a dozen or so.)

I'm no expert. We had a basic trap. I think it's have-a-heart. But our neoghbor's from Switzerland have something that seems to work better. Same idea. It's just a cage attached to a small board, with a spring-loaded trap door.

Reply to
Mayayana

Not necessarily. As some other poster said, there are always more where that came from.-

Practically every animal is wired to be afraid of demonstrably bigger and more aggressive animals. Not so much for a piece of wood and wire. They just don't look or smell dangerous. They're just part of the scenery.

I've seen squirrels scamper over a dead squirrel to get to birdseed on the ground.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I "I" saw a dead squirrel with birdseed all around, I'd wonder about that birdseed ...

Reply to
Danny D.

No sympathy for the dead squirrel? You are one cold sum bitch. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The evidence suggests that it was Mr. Hamilton, on the porch, with the pellet gun.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

He is one cold sum bitch. :-)

Reply to
Danny D.

a lot of crazy people and I don't hate them because of their political affiliation.

Perhaps one day, you can be healed and look back at your life and wonder why you

behaved as you did? I do have sympathy for you. O_o

thank you for proving you are a liar. you said you were going to ignore me or did you just graduate from Myrmidon school

Reply to
ZZyXX

of course it will...and soon

Consider yourself officially, perpetually ignored. Do me a favor,

I know it's very difficult for you but could you please return the favor? ^_^

a favor for you? LOL

Reply to
ZZyXX