Why don't mice figure out the moustrap?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 07:53:21 -0500, CRNG wrote:

They're standard rat traps positioned to each side of the pipe at the entrance to the water bladder where they were living inside.
Like this:
http://i.cubeupload.com/UtVLEn.jpg
"Danny D." wrote
| Why can't mice figure out that the trap is not a good thing for them? |
Why can't alcoholics figure out that drink is bad for them? For that matter, what magical spell causes so many people to return, again and again, to fast food joints selling industrial food-like products that make them sick? Why do people stare at cellphones while walking into traffic? Didn't they see the last tech-addict get run over? Why do we get fat? Isn't that rather dumb?
The difference between us and mice is mainly that we're highly intelligent, so we can cook up complex rationalizations to explain why we chose to do what we couldn't help doing anyway. We brilliantly maintain a veneer of plausible free will. :)
I've been having trouble with mice in the kitchen lately. We were given a very good trap from Switzerland. Despite droppings and scent left behind by one mouse, the next one gets caught the next night. I caught 4 in about 10 days. My suspicion is that the scent may draw the next mouse.
On the other hand, I don't kill them. The trap is just a cage. I then take them out to nearby woods and release them. So there's no scent of dead mouse in the trap. I don't understand people who take pleasure in killing innocent creatures. I suspect they were beaten by a merciless father in their youth and now find weakness and vulnerability enraging and contemptible. But maybe they just have no capacity for empathy. Or perhaps they just can't figure out that hatred is not good for them? Whatever the case, I don't see any need to kill mice.
In general I find mice to be highly intelligent and wiseguys by nature. When I started blocking their entrances one time in a cabin where I was staying they began to run across my body, and pull otherwise harassing stunts, when I went to bed. The message was clear: You leave us alone and we'll leave you alone. What impressed me was that they had to have some kind of understanding of communication in order to issue their warning to me. (But I couldn't sleep with mice running over me. I ended up catching them by hand in the middle of the night, until I had them all (3) trapped. Oddly, they seemed to almost give up when I took that approach. They didn't seem to try very hard to avoid capture.)

I'm an animal lover, but mice are NOT on my list of animals to love. I dont take pleasure in killing them, but I do it because they are destructive pests. If you release them, they will just come back or go to another home to do damage. The most humane thing you can do is to kill them quickly. The best method is to feed them to a hungry cat. Killing mice and rats, or flys, mosquitoes has nothing to do with hatred, and rodents are far from innocent, when they destroy your clothing or do damage to your home.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:52:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I don't take any pleasure in killing them either. None whatsoever.
I don't mind letting them go at the small overhang where I dump the live rattlers - but that means a dozen humane traps first.
And, I guess, it's not humane unless you constantly *check* the traps, as I don't generally travel to the pumphouse (except when the backflow valve is acting up - and - well - thanks to you guys - that backflow valve won't be acting up anymore).
The traps are in the crawl space of the house, so, humane traps are problematic in inaccessible areas (they'd just be starvation traps - which doesn't sound all that humane).
On 8/16/2016 12:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

They aren't pets, and killing them shouldn't be a problem, imo.
--
Maggie

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 10:01:38 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

Millions of alcoholics have figured it out. That's why they don't drink anymore.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:00:41 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

I guess it's the same. Why alcoholics ... gamblers ... druggies ... etc., can't stop what is clearly harmful.
It does seem similar.

I should get some of those as I already have a spot I throw all the rattlers I catch so I may as well throw mice there so that the rattlers can play with them.
What humane traps that I can get at Ace/HomeDepot/Lowes do you recommend? (I'll need about a dozen or so.)
On 8/16/2016 3:00 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Their vermin that destroy stuff and can spread disease. Why worry if the traps are humane?
--
Maggie

"Danny D." wrote
| What humane traps that I can get at Ace/HomeDepot/Lowes do you recommend? | (I'll need about a dozen or so.)
I'm no expert. We had a basic trap. I think it's have-a-heart. But our neoghbor's from Switzerland have something that seems to work better. Same idea. It's just a cage attached to a small board, with a spring-loaded trap door.
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 23:43:12 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Same reason that some people drink excessive alcohol, get sick, lose their drivers license, lose their jobs, become homeless, and still go back and drink again.... and again.....
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 7:43:16 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

A mouse's brain is about 0.4 gram. (For comparison, the contents of a packet of Sweet-n-Low (that pink packet) is about 1 gram.)
I doubt there's any room in there for cause-and-effect analysis.
Cindy Hamilton
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 12:11:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I guess that makes sense, but where I live, we have mountain lions and foxes and coyotes, and all of them have figured out that humans are dangerous, so they stay away from us (for the most part).
Also, animals must figure out what plants are poisonous, right? Or what animals to run away from, right?
So, they must figure out *some* stuff. But not mousetraps.
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 4:34:38 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

Not necessarily. As some other poster said, there are always more where that came from.-

Practically every animal is wired to be afraid of demonstrably bigger and more aggressive animals. Not so much for a piece of wood and wire. They just don't look or smell dangerous. They're just part of the scenery.
I've seen squirrels scamper over a dead squirrel to get to birdseed on the ground.
Cindy Hamilton
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 09:50:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I "I" saw a dead squirrel with birdseed all around, I'd wonder about that birdseed ...
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 1:59:28 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

No sympathy for the dead squirrel? You are one cold sum bitch. :-)
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 1:59:28 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

The evidence suggests that it was Mr. Hamilton, on the porch, with the pellet gun.
Cindy Hamilton
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 11:54:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

He is one cold sum bitch. :-)
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:19:35 -0700, Oren wrote:

Those are the *smart* ones!

Why can't you figure out this topic is not what this group is about?
nb