Why don't mice figure out the moustrap?

Page 1 of 2
Why can't mice figure out that the trap is not a good thing for them?
I had been hearing scurrying sounds in the pump house while I was working on the backflow valve, so, even though I hate to hurt animals, they were living inside the blue bladder and I just don't know what mischief they can do there.
So I put two rat traps next to the opening where the water pipes go into the blue bladder pressure tank.
Wouldn't you know it, TWO mice were caught, one in each trap, with all the peanut button licked clean from the trap closest to the entrance.
I assume mouse #1 got caught in rat trap #1 and died instantly (these are the standard spring-loaded six-inch-long rat traps, so they're overkill for mice).
Then, I assume mouse #2 licked clean trap #1 and then proceeded to trap #2.
QUESTION: Why can't mice figure out that the trap is not a good thing for them?
I mean, can't they "see" the dead mouse in trap #1? Can't they make that connection?
It boggles my mind that they can't figure this one out ahead of time.
PS: I didn't want to waste the mice, so I left them outside in the open, and within an hour or two, something took them away (coyote? fox? vulture?).
[...]

Because they're stupid.

Obviously not.

Doesn't boggle mine. They're *mice*, for Pete's sake.
On 8/15/2016 5:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

And they don't have to figure it out. Plenty more mice where they came from.

As the saying goes " The second mouse gets the cheese"
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 7:43:16 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

i use live traps for getting rid of mice. empty trap twice daily away from home
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 6:35:48 PM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:

because, they have all the sex they want, so the next best thing is food
they simply can't help themselves...?
marc
On 08/15/2016 05:43 PM, Danny D. wrote:

mice are like democrats, all they do is eat, fuck and destroy stuff.
On 8/16/2016 5:01 AM, ko wrote:

good analogy
On 8/16/16 4:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

the body to see what they can find in the wrecked vehicle. o_O

from-woman-5531076.php

in other neighborhoods they just rig their new cars so it looks like it will pass smog laws, or they might just butcher diseased cows for human consumption, but I've always liked the ones that allow residential areas to be built next to dangerous facilities
On 8/16/16 12:00 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

a lot of crazy people and I don't hate them because of their political affiliation.
Perhaps one day, you can be healed and look back at your life and wonder why you
behaved as you did? I do have sympathy for you. O_o
thank you for proving you are a liar. you said you were going to ignore me or did you just graduate from Myrmidon school
On 8/18/16 4:45 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

of course it will...and soon
Consider yourself officially, perpetually ignored. Do me a favor,
I know it's very difficult for you but could you please return the favor? ^_^
a favor for you? LOL
"Danny D." wrote:

Some mice figure it out. As "Chairman" said further down in the thread, "The second mouse gets the cheese."
You only catch the dumb mice in your traps. Same as only the dumb criminals are in prison.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 07:56:09 -0400, Gary wrote:

That's probably true!
After the first couple of sets, the smart ones seem to be leaving the peanut butter alone!
http://i.cubeupload.com/8oAwWZ.jpg
"Danny D." wrote:

Bacon works good in mousetraps too. Try that.
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 9:46:37 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

Why would anyone waste bacon on a mouse. Good grief...it's *bacon*.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:47:22 -0400, Gary wrote:

I keep a jar of peanut butter that my sister's kids made a mess of where it's all over the walls but most of it is gone.
After the kids are done with the peanut butter, it can catch rats for a couple of years sitting on my garage shelf with the rest of the oils and greases and chemicals.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 07:56:09 -0400, Gary wrote:

That's probably true!
After the first couple of sets, the smart ones seem to be leaving the peanut butter alone!
http://i.cubeupload.com/8oAwWZ.jpg
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:56:43 -0700, Oren wrote:

The rattlers are NOT doing their job! I agree with you.
I do have some new rat traps, but they're inside the house. These nasties are for outside.
They seem to have caught two sets of 'dumb' mice but the smart ones may have figured 'em out by now.
On 08/16/2016 06:56 AM, Gary wrote:
[snip]

And innocent people, since those aren't good at thinking like a criminal.
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 23:43:12 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

What knid of traps and how did you position them?