Why Does Toilet OCCASIONALLY not Flush?

I installed a tall, elongated 1.6 GPF toilet 8 years ago. It works fine....most of the time. About every 100th or so flush, the bowl fills with water from the tank but for whatever reason it doesn't go down. I stick a plunger in the bottom, pump it a couple of times and VOILA! everything goes immediately down. It's then good for the next 100 or so flushes. This has been going on all the time I've had it.
The other toilet (which is nearer the main sewer) has never failed to flush correctly, and no other drain in the house is backing up. Any ideas?

Too much stuff to get through the trap. Use less TP, or flush it before using TP for a big load.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:11:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

Got any kids- or have any ever been in your house? My most elusive flush blocker was a rubber ball that sometimes got caught and sometimes didn't. It wouldn't plunge through. The way I found it was by taking the toilet out and turning it upside down a couple times.
Jim

Another excellent reason to ban children from houses. Seriously, though, how does anyone put up with kids?
-snip-

They have their up-sides. We've got a 21 & 22 yr old that have been net pluses. But believe me it is a very long tally sheet.<g>
Jim
h wrote:

Just think of them as the lord's punishement for enjoying all that great sex with your spouse. <G>
Each 'Fathers Day' there's an intrusion, Of kids at my house, in profusion. Oh, it would be so fine, If I knew which were mine, Instead of this annual confusion.
--- Travis Brasell
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I'll take the great sex without the punishment, thanks. Instead of "mother's day" I've celebrated "childfree day" on the anniversary of my tubal for the past 26 years.

I'm sure you non-existent children would thank you. By the way, have you disowned your parents for having YOU?

Huh? My not wanting to breed means I would automatically be a bad parent? I didn't like kids when I was one, so why would I have them? I don't like dogs, either, so I don't have any.
How does my desire for childfreedom translate to disowning my parents because they wanted to breed? Your lack of reasoning skills is truly mind-boggling. PLONK.
the OPs cranky toilet assuming it worked well when new may be from sediment, hard water buildup in the toilets interior passages. when they get clogged toilets dont flush solids as well.water kinda swirls around
plunge toilet, try to get all water out of bowl, water can remain on and tank, the top half full of water.
open window, wear safety glasses and use a funnel to pour muriatic acid in the dip tube,
about a pint, avoid splashing. wait 10 or 15 minutes, then repeat.
when done flush 10 times to dilute any acid left in lines etc.
muriatic acid sold in stores is pretty mild, I put some on my skin just a little warm, ended instantly when rinsed off its a mild acid.
After doing this for myself and friends and posting it here others report how well it works.
muriatic is mild acid and not hazardous if used with care
On Dec 16, 3:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@searchmachine.com wrote:

no pal, your dislike of children would make you a bad parent. you didn't like kids when you were one? how sad is that.

How? "drugs & alcohol" ........ for me, not them
Why? as follows
If managed correctly, they eventually grow up, leave home, transition off "the dole" and buy you expensive gifts & dinners and give great satisfaction for "a job well done" or is that "complete disaster averted" ?
AND provide you with grandchildren, thoroughly more enjoyable than children and through whom you can exact your revenge.
Whether or not the monetary ROI is there, remains to be determined...... I've been too afraid to run the numbers.
cheers Bob
snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

Doesn't fill up as much every 100th flush? If the tank water is lower it might not get enough gravity to start the siphon action of the trap.
Did you know most modern toilets have two flush modes. The heavy duty mode is used if you hold down the handle for those extra duty flushes.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You mean they have to actually stand there and hold the handle down? No time for that. Must hurry up and get to a red light in traffic.
Does it have a sloan power flush valve instead of a flapper? The wrong washer between the tank and bowl and cause erratic flushes because the sloan valve can sense back pressure and automatically stops flushing.

On Dec 9, 1:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote:

I put up with one like that for years except mine did it a lot more often. When I remodeled the bathroom I found out why. The vent was improperly installed. It was way to far away from the toilet to work properly.
Jimmie