Why Does Toilet OCCASIONALLY not Flush?

I installed a tall, elongated 1.6 GPF toilet 8 years ago. It works fine....most of the time. About every 100th or so flush, the bowl fills with water from the tank but for whatever reason it doesn't go down. I stick a plunger in the bottom, pump it a couple of times and VOILA! everything goes immediately down. It's then good for the next

100 or so flushes. This has been going on all the time I've had it.

The other toilet (which is nearer the main sewer) has never failed to flush correctly, and no other drain in the house is backing up. Any ideas?

Reply to
joshhemming

Too much stuff to get through the trap. Use less TP, or flush it before using TP for a big load.

Reply to
Bob F

Got any kids- or have any ever been in your house? My most elusive flush blocker was a rubber ball that sometimes got caught and sometimes didn't. It wouldn't plunge through. The way I found it was by taking the toilet out and turning it upside down a couple times.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Another excellent reason to ban children from houses. Seriously, though, how does anyone put up with kids?

-snip-

They have their up-sides. We've got a 21 & 22 yr old that have been net pluses. But believe me it is a very long tally sheet.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Doesn't fill up as much every 100th flush? If the tank water is lower it might not get enough gravity to start the siphon action of the trap.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Just think of them as the lord's punishement for enjoying all that great sex with your spouse.

Each 'Fathers Day' there's an intrusion, Of kids at my house, in profusion. Oh, it would be so fine, If I knew which were mine, Instead of this annual confusion.

--- Travis Brasell

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'll take the great sex without the punishment, thanks. Instead of "mother's day" I've celebrated "childfree day" on the anniversary of my tubal for the past 26 years.

BobK207

Did you know most modern toilets have two flush modes. The heavy duty mode is used if you hold down the handle for those extra duty flushes.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

You mean they have to actually stand there and hold the handle down? No time for that. Must hurry up and get to a red light in traffic.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Does it have a sloan power flush valve instead of a flapper? The wrong washer between the tank and bowl and cause erratic flushes because the sloan valve can sense back pressure and automatically stops flushing.

Reply to
Art

I put up with one like that for years except mine did it a lot more often. When I remodeled the bathroom I found out why. The vent was improperly installed. It was way to far away from the toilet to work properly.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I'm sure you non-existent children would thank you. By the way, have you disowned your parents for having YOU?

Reply to
mike_0_007

ound it

Huh? My not wanting to breed means I would automatically be a bad parent? I didn't like kids when I was one, so why would I have them? I don't like dogs, either, so I don't have any.

How does my desire for childfreedom translate to disowning my parents because they wanted to breed?

Your lack of reasoning skills is truly mind-boggling. PLONK.

Reply to
tmclone

the OPs cranky toilet assuming it worked well when new may be from sediment, hard water buildup in the toilets interior passages. when they get clogged toilets dont flush solids as well.water kinda swirls around

plunge toilet, try to get all water out of bowl, water can remain on and tank, the top half full of water.

open window, wear safety glasses and use a funnel to pour muriatic acid in the dip tube,

about a pint, avoid splashing. wait 10 or 15 minutes, then repeat.

when done flush 10 times to dilute any acid left in lines etc.

muriatic acid sold in stores is pretty mild, I put some on my skin just a little warm, ended instantly when rinsed off its a mild acid.

After doing this for myself and friends and posting it here others report how well it works.

muriatic is mild acid and not hazardous if used with care

Reply to
hallerb

.

found it

other's

no pal, your dislike of children would make you a bad parent. you didn't like kids when you were one? how sad is that.

Reply to
mike_0_007