Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the roof. Is that why? Thanks.

Reply to
46erjoe

High-efficiency units need fan-forced exhaust because the exhaust temperature is too low for exhaust gases to be adequately removed by convection alone.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I presume it's a gas fired high efficiency water heater.

As you pointed out, hot air rises, but since the exhaust "pipe" can run sideways for quite a distance in some installations a fan is needed to push the combustion products outside.

Capice?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Called a Power Vent heater (or you might have a Direct Vent). Instead of having a chimney, the draft blower sends the combustion gases out the side of the house.

Not needing a chimney, they can be located more conveniently.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The power vent also prevents back draft which is common in some of the newer tightly constructed houses. the old style type furnaces are a safety hazard in new construction so count yourself lucky.

Reply to
Jay Stootzmann

What will happen if my blower is not working. Should I unplug it until I order new one

Reply to
Hnkclinical

You're at tremendous risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would turn off the gas supply to the water heater immediately and get the unit serviced (if feasible) or replaced today. Meanwhile, you can go a day or two without washing clothes or taking a shower. Dishes can be washed in the sink with cold water unless someone is very ill with a highly communicable disease, in which case, buy a small supply of disposable paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I agree, it's the exhaust blower and if it's not working, I would turn off the water heater until it can be replaced. I would think they must have an interlock of some kind there to prevent it from firing if the blower fails. If it doesn't have proper airflow it will generate CO.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes. the blower purges the exhaust - without it you risk carbon monoxife poisoning.

Reply to
Clare Snyder