Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the roof. Is that why? Thanks.

High-efficiency units need fan-forced exhaust because the exhaust temperature is too low for exhaust gases to be adequately removed by convection alone.
--
Regards,
46erjoe wrote:

I presume it's a gas fired high efficiency water heater.
As you pointed out, hot air rises, but since the exhaust "pipe" can run sideways for quite a distance in some installations a fan is needed to push the combustion products outside.
Capice?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
46erjoe wrote:

http://www.hotwater.com/products/residential/gas.html
Called a Power Vent heater (or you might have a Direct Vent). Instead of having a chimney, the draft blower sends the combustion gases out the side of the house.
Not needing a chimney, they can be located more conveniently.
The power vent also prevents back draft which is common in some of the newer tightly constructed houses. the old style type furnaces are a safety hazard in new construction so count yourself lucky.