Why does my faucet have a pause button?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 04:30:41 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

both sinks. When switching from one sink to the other it would be nice to stop the water for a second as the granite between the sinks is crossed. Not a big deal, but I bet I would use it.
DerbyDad03;2975136 Wrote:

Derby Dad:
Phone up the faucet manufacturer's 1-800 Customer Service phone number and they'll tell you what the reason for having that feature is.
If I had to guess at a reason for that feature, I'd be inclined to guess that restaurants might need that kind of feature to fill a tray of glasses (say) with water without getting water all over the sides of the glasses or onto the tray so the bottoms would be wet. It's just a guess, but it's my best guess.
You don't need to read the rest.
Not everything has to have a practical purpose for it's existance. If you can give me one solid reason to have a decorated tree in your house at Christmas, I'll eat my hat.
When I read the user's manual for some of the new products I buy, I often see features that strike me as not having any obvious purpose.
For example, on the new stoves I purchased about a ten years ago, there was a feature that allowed the user to set the stove oven to heat at an extremely low temperature (just above room temperature) for up to 72 hours before the oven would bake or broil at it's normal temperature. And, just like you, I presumed this was for people who wanted the oven to bake or roast supper for them while they were at work. But this feature allowed the user to set the oven to come on a full 72 hours in advance, and included a feature to over-ride that control so that you could use the oven within the 72 hours, but it would still come on up to 72 hours after having been initially set. Obviously a feature meant for someone who couldn't make up his mind(?) That didn't make any sense to me at all, so I phoned up Frigidaire.
It turns out that orthodox Jews believe that causing a spark on the Sabbath is a sin. That's because in the old days, they used to start their stove fires with flint, and cooking is women's work, and no one is allowed to work on the Sabath. So, in the old days, Orthodox Jews would keep a candle (or two) burning all night so that the fire from it could be used to start their wood stoves on the Sabath. Since it's possible for a spark to occur within the oven control when you turn the oven on, Orthodox Jews needed a way of turning the oven on prior to the Sabath so as not to cause a spark on that day. Hence the feature. The wife could set the time the oven should come on up to 3 days in advance to bake or broil the Sabbath meal, but still use the oven normally until the midnight before the Sabbath.
The manufacturers of products get requests for features like this from different groups that apparantly have no obvious purpose to you or I, but do to someone else.
--
nestork

...snip...
But I'm glad I did.

Stop by next weekend when the girls will be home from college. Bring your hat, and some seasoning if you like. Spend the day with us as we head over to a Christmas tree farm, cut down a tree and bring it home to decorate, just like we've doing for 20-something years. You can wash your cap down with some home made hot chocolate that my wife will be making.
When the girls were home for Thanksgiving they made sure we put the Christmas tree hunt on the calendar for the first weekend they were home. If after the spending the day with us, you don't think that two socially active college students wanting to spend the day with their family decorating a Christmas tree is a "solid reason" to have one in the house, I promise to feel sorry for you.

Kind of like when you don't see the obvious purpose of a decorated tree in a house at Christmas.
On 12/8/2012 10:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was wondering if the water stream stops and hangs motionless in midair when you press the pause button? ^_^
TDD
Maybe the faucet designer used to work for the Tivo and DVR industry? Does the OP facuet have fast forward, also?
wrote in message
I was wondering if the water stream stops and hangs motionless in midair when you press the pause button? ^_^
TDD
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 at 8:30:41 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I use mine to water my plants. They are on a shelf behind the sink. Very convenient! Also filling buckets, etc.