Why does my faucet have a pause button?

Page 1 of 2
About 6 months ago I installed a new kitchen faucet. The unit has 4 features, the first 3 of which I was looking for:
1 - Tall neck for filling large pots 2 - Pull out faucet 3 - Built in sprayer 4 - A pause button
The spray-no spray button is on the pull out portion of the faucet as is the pause button. You have to hold the pause button to pause the water. I figured I'd wait and see if I found the pause button useful.
Well, here it is 6 months later and I have yet to find a need for the pause button.
Can any of you think of a reason to need a pause button - specifically one that you have to hold it in to use - on a kitchen faucet?
I can see one possible reason: perhaps to fill a pot that is not in the sink once the water has been turned on. However, the pull out feature isn't long enough that you can't simply turn the faucet on with the handle. That's almost easier than pulling the faucet out, locating the pause button, holding it in, etc., etc.
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 04:30:41 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I have (and sometimes use) one on the shower. You can stop the water flow without turning the faucet off, thus maintain the same temperature mix.
Probably the same idea on the sprayer if you are rinsing dishes and don't need the water flowing for a few seconds here and there. Saves money on water and heating water.

Did you notice that I said that you have to *hold* the button to pause the water? Do you have to hold a button to pause the shower?
Can you think of a reason why you would want to pause the water at the kitchen sink, knowing that you'll only have one hand available and can't move more than an arm's length from the sink?

I have 2 Brita filter decanters on the kitchen counter. A pause button would be very helpful to fill both reservoirs, as I often have to do. Now I have to put a lid down, turn off the water, move the faucet, turn on the water, you get it. Not enough of bother to go out and buy a new faucet, but now I know of the feature ...
--
Best regards
Han

I mucked around with Brita for several years before I got one of these-- (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
$40 - no pitcher- change filter every 6 months- works as well as [better than?] the Brita, IMO.
Jim

Thanks, Jim. On my wishlist. But I still have a lot of Brita filters to use up ...
--
Best regards
Han

Jim, does this have any kinda bypass switch? I ask because there would be times I don't want / need filtered water.

Nope. I put it on the cold side, so if you really didn't *want* filtered water you could use hot.
Jim

Having a discrete faucet makes it last longer as long as it's sanitary. I don't need filtered water to clean my dishes.
Greg

I was looking at a filter and extra cold water tap, but how would I cut a hole in stainless steel ?
Greg

Use a bi-metal hole saw.
On 12-09-2012 19:33, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://zenstoves.net/Supplies/KnockoutPunch.jpg
worked well for me.
--
Wes Groleau

“Lewis's case for the existence of God is fallacious.”

That was going to be my other suggestion, but I think (haven"t checked) that a cheap bi-metal hole saw for a single hole project is probably cheaper than a Greenlee-style punch.
I do know that punches are really easy to use...we used to use them all the time to punch holes in computer racks.
Maybe renting a set of punches for a few hours is even cheaper than buying a hole saw. Once again, haven't checked.
On 12-10-2012 12:58, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't recall where I got it, but I didn't rent it and I didn't spend much.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_157844-72068-7211BB-1/2_0__?productId173415
is thirty dollars, but I don't like the style. The first picture I cited, with the curves instead of points, is what I used.
--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's a "green" feature, it allows you to pause the water flow when you have finished rinsing a dish as you are placing it in the drying rack and grabbing the next soapy one to rinse. In theory if you got in the habit of using it you could cut your rinse water consumption by perhaps 50%. That could equate to several gallons per load of dishes. Conserving water is never a bad thing.
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 07:33:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I find it a whole easier to scrub a pot when i'm holding it in place with my other hand. It tends to prevent it from sliding around the sink. It's really hard to hold the pot if I'm holding the faucet and pressing the pause button.

I guess, but considering how far the faucet reaches (not very) and the fact that I only need one hand to fill a pot, it's really not all that hard to move the lever to "off" then "on" to move from one pot to the next.
Besides, I really don't think it would spill much water in the split second it takes to move from pot to pot even with the water running. Put the pots right next to each other.
All I really know is that in the six months I've had it, I've never found a need to use it, but maybe that's just me.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

What's even scarier is that people buy the same faucet as you BECAUSE it has a "pause" button !

And then you have toasters with a "cancel" button. It's too much trouble just to push the lever back up again, like in the old days?
--
Tegger