Why does Home Depot refund Cash for Debit Card purchases?

Page 5 of 5
On 7/24/2011 12:07 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Yes, thats why merchants are renegotiating contracts where possible. There was a local case like you describe. A local family has some local stores and they decided to offer a cash discount at the register. It went to an upper level court who affirmed the decision against them.
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:23:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I'd be pleased that I would get cash.
I like Menards and most of it's products. However I recently bought something at Menards that was listed on the sign at $4.99. I went to the check-out, used my debit card to pay for this item and others, and I left the store. When I got to my car, I felt I had payed more than I had estimated. I looked at my receipt and found they had charged me $12.99 for this item that had been listed at $4.99.
I went to the Customer Service counter, had to do the whole "return item" thing (pain in the ass). They admitted that their price computer had a duplicate listing on this item and it was their fault that I was overcharged. I was given an instore credit for about $8.00 (plus tax difference). I told them I wanted CASH back, (or refund to my debit card), not the instore credit. They said they could not do that.
I could have really filed a complaint about this. They admitted it was their fault, yet they wont give me cash back. I shop there often enough that I did use it up a few days later, but still I had to struggle with that piece of paper and make sure I remembered to use it. In other words, just an all around hassle of ANOTHER piece of paper to keep track of. Plus, Menards got interest on my money before I used it. This is NOT right.
I did not persue the cash refund because I had already wasted a half hour straightening this matter out and I had to get somewhere, and did not have more time to waste. However, I was NOT PLEASED.....
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Just venting...
If you purchase something at home Depot on a debit card and then return it, they will only give you a cash refund.
Even when you don't have the receipt, their system is able to find your purchase if you give them the debit card, so they are obviously linked up in the bowels of their computers.
Every other store I know puts the refund back on the debit card, most times without even having to show them the card.
I'm now walking around with close to $200 in cash because of some returns I processed yesterday.
I wonder what their rules are if I buy $10K worth of lumber and then returned it. Would they give me $10K in cash which I would then have to report to the IRS?
-------------------
Walmarts in My part of Canada refund in cash only if you used debit cards. Home Depots here refund debit purchases to your debit card.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayTemplate?storeId 051&display=cust_supp_return_faq&langId=-15
Any purchase made by cash will be refunded in cash; any purchase made by debit card will be refunded to the original debit card.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayTemplate?storeId 051&display=cust_supp_return_faq&langId=-15
That's what is says, but I've been given cash in return, not on my card as expected.
On 07/20/11 8:10 PM, Home Guy wrote:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayTemplate?storeId 051&display=cust_supp_return_faq&langId=-15
You posted a link for Home Depot in Canada. I live in the US.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Return_Policy&langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
and
Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
So, even without a receipt, a receipt for a debit card purchase can be "looked up", making it subject to the first policy, where it states that returns can be "refunded in cash". They do say "credited to your account" but it's never happened to me. I'm guessing they mean an account that a business might have, not the account that my debit card is attached to.
On 07/20/11 8:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Didja notice the "just venting..." line at the beginning of my post?
That's why I posted to usenet.
On 07/24/11 8:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

re: "What is the sound of one man venting, grasshopper?"
The sound of over 80 usenet replies.
On Tuesday, 19 July 2011 12:23:04 UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You can do 10 large on your *debit* card?
Chip C wrote:

Hi, Merchants pay service fee to use credit card or Interac per x-action. Maybe they don't want to pay it twice one for sales, one for refund.

Also many banks charge a fee to deposit large amounts of cash that requires counting, this way giving refunds in cash reduces the amount of the deposit and the resulting bank fee. This method has two pluses for the merchant. They save on the debit card fee and on the deposit fee. Any method to reduce the banking fees to help the bottom line.
On 6/11/2014 4:51 PM, EXT wrote:

And less cash to transport by armored car. Back when Costco accepted Discover you could get $30 cash back, treated as a purchase rather than a cash advance, when you used Discover. It helped Costco reduce the amount of cash that they had to deal with.
OMG its $200 stop complaing, geshhh
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 6:34:40 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nobody is complaining, you're replying to a FIVE YEAR OLD thread. geshhh