Why does Home Depot refund Cash for Debit Card purchases?

Page 4 of 5

The CC company is. The CC user has a contract with the CC issuer, which they're both in compliance with. The merchant has a contract with the CC clearance house, which they're both (presumably) in compliance with. No one is being forced to do anything. What's not to like?

contract.
The merchant contracted to accept CCs. No one forced him to. Think about it some more.
On 7/23/2011 10:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Who knew? I thought the CC company was getting the money from the merchant?
I am not saying the merchant should go against the agreed term but contracts are renew and changed/renegotiated all of the time.
Currently if you use a "rewards" card you only pay for part of your rewards. My thoughts were that it is fair and reasonable to pay the total cost.

Yes, but times change. Lots of people like me don't like banks and don't want to pay extra to help them out.

You don't think there is a contract in place?

He can refuse to sign the contract and refuse credit cards, too.

The merchant pays *all* of it. It's part of his COGS. His choice.

Then don't use credit cards. No one is forcing them on you. Meanwhile I'll take the 1%, thank you.
On 7/23/2011 8:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Who said there wasn't? Look at the big picture.

Absolutely, or he can demand a fairer system.

I don't think so. Ultimately the purchaser is the one who pays for the goods and all overhead and expenses related to selling them.
Currently if two folks walk in to purchase something and customer "A" has a rewards card and customer "B" pays cash both are paying towards the cost of the transaction. Since the cost of "rewards" and the costs of handling cash are all rolled together customer "A" is only paying for part of their rewards while customer "B" is helping to pay for customer "A"s rewards.

Clearly clueless.

Demand from whom?

Clearly you have a lot to learn about capitalism.

No, you're forgetting the seller down the street.
<...>
On 7/24/2011 11:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

You lost by going for the ad hominem attack. I get it that you like to imagine there is no cost to anyone for your "rewards" since it is just "overhead". But do you really think the tooth fairy is paying for your "rewards"?

Remember that contract thing you mentioned?

Sorry most knowledgeable one, please explain in detail how someone besides the customer ultimately pays for the goods and the cost of selling them that they purchase?

Sorry, but facts are facts.

I'm not a Democrat. I know money doesn't grow on trees. Costs are paid out of the seller's profits. He can't raise the price because someone down the street can then sell at a lower price. Simple economics.

Fine. Go for it. Since they don't, you're SOL. Sorry, the only vote you get is to take your business elsewhere. Stop whining.

One word: competition. Now, go back and take a rudimentary economics course.
On 7/24/2011 12:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not really, just your interpretation. But you do discredit yourself when you choose to insult people.

You do know there are two ways to adjust prices to achieve the same results right?

I will mention that to some folks I know who are part of a 400 store co-op who recently negotiated a deal with a new credit card processor that specifically allows for them to offer cash discounts. It also allows for them to issue their own gift cards which the CC will not get a cut of.
So much for your self proclaimed expert status.

Why the need to make yourself look silly with the constant personal attacks?

No, you *are* clueless. You demonstrate it daily.

Another demonstration of cluelessness.

Perhaps true, but in any case irrelevant. Buy from them and stop whining! ...pretty simple!

Yet another demonstration of cluelessness.

You stop with the clueless drivel and I'll stop pointing it out. Deal?
On 7/24/2011 4:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

You might want to read about Ad hominem attacks. If you can't defend your position you only discredit yourself by delivering personal attacks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Once again, you demonstrate your cluelessness. Keep it up, there's probably someone out there who missed it this time too.
Home Depot offers to put back on debit as long as you have your card on you. Otherwise cash is the only other option. Don't get it twisted.

Even when I have my card I often get asked if I want it back on the card or in cash. I often say "Whatever is easier for you." The result varies.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe 'coz they don't want debit service fee twice? Also processing refund takes more time than giving cash.

What other option would you want? Seems logical and they have no DC fees.
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:01:33 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Seems you can't make some people happy.... Even cash isn't good enough.
On 7/23/2011 7:11 PM, George wrote:

If you are a Walmart or even a Sears, you can negotiate. If you are a ma'n'pa local store, it is take it or leave it.
--
aem sends...

On 7/23/2011 10:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I noticed many of them are not interested in paying a tribute to timmy geitners "too big to fail" buddies so they will talk regarding price if you offer cash/check as payment. So you end up with a better final price.
On 7/24/2011 9:01 AM, George wrote:

Yeah, but cash discounts violate the CC agreement, don't they? (Since it amounts to a surcharge to use CCs)
--
aem sends...

I believe that's wrong. Many businesses do offer cash discounts (e.g. gas stations). They are *not* allowed to pass-on costs but they can discount from advertised prices.