Why does everyone here seem to dislike HD?

Page 1 of 2
I don't get it. I don't have a problem with them and they seem cheaper than Lowes.
I think it's more a feeling of general wariness as people see HD driving out the little mom & pop stores. Personally, I use HD, since the hours are convenient. One thing I have noticed recently when buying lumber: the quality SUCKS! Next time you're in HD, try to pick through the pile of 2x4 studs and find 10 straight, clean, non-splintered ones.
The quality of the products at Home Depot is (generally speaking) lower then just about any other similiar type of store. It's not just the lumber either. It's like Lowes is a grade up on just about everything. While Home Depot is good for some things, you have to pick and choose.

Yup !
For the most part HD only stocks "lower quality/priced" items in their stores. While they can "special order" better stuff, the extras costs of bringing in non-stock items often is higher than anywhere else. As well as most of their staff get pissed off that you even want them to order it.
e.g. while they have pre-made doors (kits) in stock, in 28", 30", try to get one in a different sze, and the price can be double even if you want a smaller door. (26")
I find the same stuff at both stores. Nothing special really between either one. Where I live there are a number of home depot stores. Not all of them are alike. Some actually carry more stuff of the same item catagory giving a better selection.
As for the wood? You need to take wood right from a newly opened pallet. Shit that others have picked through isnt going to do. If you need that much lumber go to a real place and get it. If you order enough, they will still throw in delivery for nothing. (who are we kidding its already factored into the price)
louie wrote:

Since HD & Lowes opened up in the south Dayton, OH area:
Sutherlands, 84 Lumber and Furrows Lumber ALL closed. I liked shopping at all 3.
12 years ago they all delivered for free. Those days are long gone.
The quality of 2x4s at HD AND Lowes SUCKS. You have to go through 100s to cherry pick the straight ones.
Neither will cut pressure treated lumber either.
Both chains, but Lowes in particular, choose sites so as to best stifle competition.
Lowes likes to site across the street from the 84-lumber chain.
I worked for LLOYD LUMBER for awhile, and am very glad those nitwits didn't make the jump from lumber-yard to home-improvement-center. Had they stayed a contractors lumber yard, though, they may have stayed in business.
Lowesers and Home Despot, naw, those are terms of endearment!
Wouldn't want to do without the convenient access or selection, but I go to a smaller outfit whenever feasible. I would hate to have big chains be the only choice. That happened with Mal-Wart, and I don't think the world's a better place because of it.
Dave
Dave wrote:

Where I live, Lowes built a store directly across the street from HD about 3 yrs after the HD was built, now 7 yrs later, the HD parking lot is ALWAYS full, while at Lowes you can ALWAYS park just a few spaces from the front door.
I don't know how that Lowes could possibly be making a profit.

It couldn't *possibly* be that whatever characteristics these sites have that attracted 84 Lumber would also appeal to another firm in a similar business?

Shopping tests have show that both HD and Lowes are within pennies on just about everything you buy. Neither had any real advantage.
They are OK for commodity items, They are not always cheaper than the local stores and most don't give very good service compared to the local store. They do not carry all of the top of the line merchandise. They tend to carry lower quality hardware, nut and bolts, etc. Special order? Forget it.
Appliances? I priced a couple of appliances at both stores. I was able to buy at the same price on a refrigerator and $20 more on a DW, but the local guy delivered and hauled away the old ones on the same day I bought. Neither offered that kind of service.
I often find that carry 1,000,000 different items, but never have what I need. I'm fortunate to have a local hardware chain (Aubuchons) that seems to have everything I need.

Home Depot IS cheaper than Lowes, about 15% cheaper in my experience.
Home Depot cheap & grungy and is for real contractors and serious home fixers, while Lowes is spacious and pretty and clean and pricey (for yuppies and wannabe home fixer nancy-boys)

fixers, while Lowes is spacious and pretty and clean and pricey (for yuppies and wannabe home fixer nancy-boys)
yeah I heard that on the radio (NPR) - Lowes is directed more toward women, they have wider and cleaner aisles.

Women need wider aisles? I'm not going to comment on that.
You know, not to call into question my manhood or anything, but I've often wished that the isles in HD were wider (or less cluttered with JUNK!). I don't know how often I've loaded my cart with lumber, then realized that I had forgotten something from the plumbing isle or some such that now requires me to push the lumber up an isle barely wide enough for a regular cart that also has displays of the latest junk for sale, clueless associates helping clueless people who are oblivious to the fact that some guy is trying to use the isle for something other than gazing fondly at the bathroom fixtures....
I like Lowes sometimes because it has bigger electric tools than HD. Like it will have a 7" angle grinder in addition to the 10 4-1/2" versions they have in HD.
Of course, there are those who would say the 4-1/2 inches is enough for any guy!

contractors and serious home

clean and pricey (for

directed more toward

DAAMN. I really just decided this past weekend that I like Lowe's better than HD. I'm not easy but apparently I can be tricked. It _is_ a nice clean store. The one in 08052

I hate their lights, they sound like really noisy street lights. For that alone I'll generally go to Home Depot.
On 11/28/05 01:03 pm the barefoot sage tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Maybe depends on the item. Price an Insinkerator model 17 (batch-feed) waste disposer: $200+ at Lowes.com; $400+ at homedepot.com. No idea about the prices in the stores.
Perce

I have to wonder if that is an error. I've never seen that much disparity anywhere. I just priced a couple of tools, such as the DeWalt plate joiner and they are the exact same price. On the disposers, they carry some different brands and different models on the same brands making it difficult to compare.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I believe it depends on where the stores are located, not only state and town, but also district in a large city. In my town, there is very little difference in price between HD and Lowes when comparing identical products and neither HD nor Lowes is consistently lower. The same is true when comparing equivalent, but not identical, products. I do think that Lowes tends to carry higher priced brands and am not saying that those higher priced brands are better.
The same is true with food stores. For example Albertson's (Boise is the home of Albertson's) is a high priced store in Boise, but we don't have Safeway as a competitor. In Spokane, WA Albertson's prices are for more competitive as they have several chains as competitors.