Why does everyone here seem to dislike HD?

I don't get it. I don't have a problem with them and they seem cheaper than Lowes.

Reply to
dean

I think it's more a feeling of general wariness as people see HD driving out the little mom & pop stores. Personally, I use HD, since the hours are convenient. One thing I have noticed recently when buying lumber: the quality SUCKS! Next time you're in HD, try to pick through the pile of 2x4 studs and find 10 straight, clean, non-splintered ones.

Reply to
louie

The quality of the products at Home Depot is (generally speaking) lower then just about any other similiar type of store. It's not just the lumber either. It's like Lowes is a grade up on just about everything. While Home Depot is good for some things, you have to pick and choose.

Reply to
scott21230

Both chains, but Lowes in particular, choose sites so as to best stifle competition.

Lowes likes to site across the street from the 84-lumber chain.

I worked for LLOYD LUMBER for awhile, and am very glad those nitwits didn't make the jump from lumber-yard to home-improvement-center. Had they stayed a contractors lumber yard, though, they may have stayed in business.

Lowesers and Home Despot, naw, those are terms of endearment!

Wouldn't want to do without the convenient access or selection, but I go to a smaller outfit whenever feasible. I would hate to have big chains be the only choice. That happened with Mal-Wart, and I don't think the world's a better place because of it.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Since HD & Lowes opened up in the south Dayton, OH area:

Sutherlands, 84 Lumber and Furrows Lumber ALL closed. I liked shopping at all 3.

12 years ago they all delivered for free. Those days are long gone.

The quality of 2x4s at HD AND Lowes SUCKS. You have to go through 100s to cherry pick the straight ones.

Neither will cut pressure treated lumber either.

Reply to
PolyMorf

Shopping tests have show that both HD and Lowes are within pennies on just about everything you buy. Neither had any real advantage.

They are OK for commodity items, They are not always cheaper than the local stores and most don't give very good service compared to the local store. They do not carry all of the top of the line merchandise. They tend to carry lower quality hardware, nut and bolts, etc. Special order? Forget it.

Appliances? I priced a couple of appliances at both stores. I was able to buy at the same price on a refrigerator and $20 more on a DW, but the local guy delivered and hauled away the old ones on the same day I bought. Neither offered that kind of service.

I often find that carry 1,000,000 different items, but never have what I need. I'm fortunate to have a local hardware chain (Aubuchons) that seems to have everything I need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Home Depot IS cheaper than Lowes, about 15% cheaper in my experience.

Home Depot cheap & grungy and is for real contractors and serious home fixers, while Lowes is spacious and pretty and clean and pricey (for yuppies and wannabe home fixer nancy-boys)

Reply to
the barefoot sage

fixers, while Lowes is spacious and pretty and clean and pricey (for yuppies and wannabe home fixer nancy-boys)

yeah I heard that on the radio (NPR) - Lowes is directed more toward women, they have wider and cleaner aisles.

Reply to
dean

Women need wider aisles? I'm not going to comment on that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You know, not to call into question my manhood or anything, but I've often wished that the isles in HD were wider (or less cluttered with JUNK!). I don't know how often I've loaded my cart with lumber, then realized that I had forgotten something from the plumbing isle or some such that now requires me to push the lumber up an isle barely wide enough for a regular cart that also has displays of the latest junk for sale, clueless associates helping clueless people who are oblivious to the fact that some guy is trying to use the isle for something other than gazing fondly at the bathroom fixtures....

Reply to
louie

I like Lowes sometimes because it has bigger electric tools than HD. Like it will have a 7" angle grinder in addition to the 10 4-1/2" versions they have in HD.

Of course, there are those who would say the 4-1/2 inches is enough for any guy!

Reply to
dean

contractors and serious home

clean and pricey (for

directed more toward

DAAMN. I really just decided this past weekend that I like Lowe's better than HD. I'm not easy but apparently I can be tricked. It _is_ a nice clean store. The one in 08052

Reply to
Kathy

I don't dislike them. I shop at both of them. But the facts are they are both big retail gaints that stifle other businesses by selling a lot of second class stuff. And maintaining an inventory of fast moving items but not bothering to stock the slower selling parts and supplies that are sometimes needed.

A case in point. I recently needed to replace about 300 liner feet of 3/4" roof decking. Lowes now only stocks "appearence grade" 1x6 and 1x8 lumber. Recalling that Furrows used to stock #3 lumber for decking I let my fingers walk through the lumber yards that mostly cater to contractors. Found a local outlet of a regional chain that said sure we have.

Surprise. Surprise. Their #3 grade which was properly stored laying flat was almost equal to the "appearance grade" stuff at Lowes at about half the price. To be fair it did have a few more solid knots. Wonderful wood for roof decking.

I will still shop Lowes and HD but if I need a quantity of lumber guess where I will be buying it.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

For me:

low quality on items (compare with Lowe's) fewer items to select from (compare with Lowe's) frequently ABSOLUTELY ignorant sales help frequent absence of help unability to ring something without FBI investigation if it doesn't have a tag prices ring up wrong low grade lumber

Other than that, they're pretty good.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't have a problem with HD. I have a problem with HD, Lowes, Menards, and any other big box store. Usually poor or no service and often inconvenient. I hate loading my lumber twice. At the local "real" lumber yard I get experienced people, they load, or at least help. Quality is better, and often price is better too. A few years ago I replaced the sofit and facia on my house. I timed it poorly and ended up getting started on a weekend. Out of four big box chain stores in my area none of them had enough product to do my little rambler. I got frustrated and gave it up until Monday and I called a local lumber yard. They had 100 times the material I needed and delivered it right to my driveway, exactly where I told them to, for less money! The same episode took place when I roofed my hose too. I make an effort to give them my business after that! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On 11/28/05 01:03 pm the barefoot sage tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Maybe depends on the item. Price an Insinkerator model 17 (batch-feed) waste disposer: $200+ at Lowes.com; $400+ at homedepot.com. No idea about the prices in the stores.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

i dont dislike hd or lowes, they saying around here is that if you want the best wood go to bolan maloney lumber ,,,if you want lesser quality go to 84,hd or lowes. lucas

ds549

I have to wonder if that is an error. I've never seen that much disparity anywhere. I just priced a couple of tools, such as the DeWalt plate joiner and they are the exact same price. On the disposers, they carry some different brands and different models on the same brands making it difficult to compare.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Where I live, Lowes built a store directly across the street from HD about 3 yrs after the HD was built, now 7 yrs later, the HD parking lot is ALWAYS full, while at Lowes you can ALWAYS park just a few spaces from the front door.

I don't know how that Lowes could possibly be making a profit.

Reply to
Ron

This is Turtle.

Well Dean i can remember the day i could go in a hardware store and the fellow know exactly what i wanted and would go to the back to look at it. he had what you wanted for that area. Now Home Depot movers into a area and all the Local Hardware store go under because of the lower prices at first year or so in a area to get foot hold. this takes out all the local hardware store and then they move the prices back up to normal. Lowes , Walmarts and Home depot are no different but this is the way they move in.

then when they are there and all the local hardware stores are gone. they put some of the dumbest kids waiting on you that a high school will let out. I know what i want but anybody new or a just a home owner is facing a wall of stupidity when asking questions about what you want.

Now like louie said they are not the best at getting quality of material when you buy from them.

Now here is a example of this brainer kids they have working at home Depot. About a year ago i went in a home Depot to get me some 2"X4" to make a plateform with. I ask the kid working there where was the 8 foot long 2"X4" for the slot where they went was empty. He told me that they was not carring them anymore. I had him call his superviser to check on this and the superviser said on the radio that he did not think he could get anymore of them because of they took too long to come in when they ordered them. i don't ask anymore.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE