Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?

Page 3 of 3

My lot is only about 65X 115 but cord handling around fruit trees, laundry posts, garden, shed, fences, etc would be a real nightmare

That's your privilege. I hate electric mowers and trimmers.

Electrics have the most annoying sound on earth. I would take the cord and strangle the person using it.

Depending upon the producer of the electricity, electrics pollute also.

Maybe where you live but not here.

You haven't a clue as to how you are supposed to handle machinery.

Then you are just plainly incompetent.

While you are fiddling with the extension cord, I'm in my lazy chair having a cool drink.
Mat wrote:

That's why I would never, ever live in, or even too close to a city. Yuck. Disgusting. People packed together like sardines, makes me shiver. I do OK on my 5 acres, although I wish it were larger, I can still see one or two houses through the woods when the leaves fall. Summertime I can only see 1 house and 1 church that is maybe a 1/2 mile from me in the lower part of my view of the Smokies. That one I don't mind very much.

What I want is a V8 mower.
On 7/26/2010 9:01 AM, ransley wrote:

here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LXFSLK3otM

--
Steve Barker

Ive been viewing that clip, just the sound is enough to make me want one, it sure would make grass cutting fun, then I would need a V8 snowblower,
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:52:15 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Guy here in Kitchener/Waterloo a few years back had a Jimmy 6-71 in the bed of his Chevy 4X4, hydraulically driving a twin-beater McKee blower mounted on the front. Now THAT sucker would blow snow!!! (and wake up the neighbours for a few blocks). Ever hear a blown 6-71 whine through a short (muffled) stack???
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My old neighbor put a Cummins Diesel 2 stroke in his little truck without much a a muffler. Talk about loud! I must say I was happy when it cracked a head and he sold it.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:10:05 +0000, Mat wrote:

Nice troll...
"Mat" wrote in message

I use these early on a Saturday morning to get even with the neighbors who played loud music all night Friday when I was trying to sleep!
As to starting trouble, get a Stihl or a commercial model the gardener's use. These always start easily for me.

A 7AM mower start is a good response to a 3AM party break-up.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:58:56 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

30-06?

It would be a good laugh to see you mow my place with a corded mower - and I've tried with cordless and the battery replacement costs were almost criminal - and I could never mow the whole lawn on one charge. (and my 30+ year old gas mower will do 3 or 4 cuttings on a tank of gas.) With it's 24" blade, it's an hour's job, and with the 20 inch wheels it's eazy to push, even if I choose not to use the self propelled function. With the motor between the rear wheels, and the blade belt driven forward, I can trim under the fences and right up tp posts/trees so I don't have need for a string-trimmer.
My 30+ yeart old Briggs engine generally starts on the second good pull if not the first. The electrics all end up with switch issues, and the cordless ones always end up with one or more bad batteries.
I built and drove an electric car - ride an electric assist bike, but have NO USE for an electric lawn mower.
Don't they have mowers with battery packs now? I would consider getting one as I have a smaller(not tiny) yard. I also used a corded mower for a while and could sling extension cords like a cowboy.
I went to a gas mower because it took to long messing with the cord. I use a battery powered trimmer and it takes 2 packs to complete the yard.
I use gas powered because I like the uden uden sound.

If I went to electric it would take me 2X as long. My gas engines are very reliable and gas stations are nearby.