Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?

Page 2 of 3

How else can you get even with your neighbor with the yappy ass dog barking all night?
Hank

.22LR
Mat wrote:

Mowing should be a fun experience. Someday I'm putting a custom header and hand throttle on my walk behind lawnmower and duel exhaust on the riding mower. There is a market for high perforce lawnmowers. I'd buy a Harley Davidson lawnmower if they were two cylinder, kick start and sound like the cycle, I'd chrome the hell out of it. Weed trimmers? I had to drill some holes in the backside of the muffler on my weed eater so it would run and sound right. A little extra oil in the gas also helps keep the mosquitoes at bay. I'm not religious but I have neighbors that are and I figure it's my duty to wake them up in time make it to church so I usually mow early on Sunday mornings. About the time the sun comes up is a good time to start. Actually there isn't an electric mower made that would have cut the yard I did yesterday and if there were the juice would have had to come through a 50 Amp breaker.

I'm not crazy about gas mowers either, but I do love my diesel
I do love my Green Machine weed whacker. I suppose I could use an electric, but then I'd have to throw a generator in my skid steer to follow me around the property to power the thing

Please share with us what lot size you have. Would you recommend this for someone with 3 to 5 acres?
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:51:14 -0400, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

7000 sqft, of course not. I should have qualified the post. Also, we have clean hydro electric generated power here.

Possibly your original post should have been more specific, then. Or possibly you should not have generalized your experience without more thought.
We have two acres, and our electricity is generated by burning coal. We have a 16-hp John Deere lawn tractor. We live just outside of Ann Arbor, MI, about 5 miles away from my workplace. Hardly the boondocks, and only about $200,000 ten years ago. (Probably worth about the same today.)
Allow me to address your points individually:

Well, we don't use a trimmer, and relatively few of my neighbors (whose yards are typically one or two acres) do, either. I try to wait until 8 on a Saturday or 9 on a Sunday before mowing. (Mind you, I wake up at 4:30 on weekdays and no later than 5:30 on weekends.)

So does electricity generation, except in those few places where hydro is feasible. Even that is not completely non-polluting if you take into account the pollution generated during the building of power plants.

Not everywhere. A pity I didn't open my electric bill last night; I might have more accurate info on electricity rates here. I believe it might be $0.20/kWh, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Only if you fail to keep them properly maintained.

Only if you are irremediably disorganized. It's not difficult to keep the gas can filled.

Granted, if your lot is small enough. We had under 4000 sqft when I was a kid, and we had an electric mower.
For those rare occasions when I use a trimmer, I use an electric one, although it's hardly quiet. I'm only interested in trimming relatively near the house.
Cindy Hamilton

Back into the troll soup...
<snip>

I generally give it at least another hour before I make noise. I generally mow/trim in the evenings, though. It's cooler (may not matter in MI, but it does in AL). ;-)

Not to mention the fish and silting of the rivers.

$.10 here, but it doesn't matter. It's a *trivial* amount of money. The OP is trolling for excuses.

My 4-cycle trimmer starts quite easily. I don't do anything special to it, at all. Just hang it up when I'm done.

The 4-cycle trimmer helps here. ;-) ...the primary reason I bought a 4-cycle.

I all around the yard (a hill in the back need whacking), edge along the driveway and street, and blow the clippings back into yard.
On 7/26/2010 8:53 PM, Mat wrote:

You may be "closest" to hydro power. But believe me the grid is one big system. If you're using power, you're burning coal, using hydro, burning natural gas AND using nukes
--
Steve Barker
Everyone should use a wood burning trimmer.
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:59:05 +0000, ktos wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas
On 7/30/2010 1:59 AM, ktos wrote:

personally, i use a 4stroke gas, and only restring it once a year and only fill it with gas twice a year.
--
Steve Barker
If I remember correctly, it was Stormin Mormon who reccomended wood burning string trimmers. Be sure to fill the kettle with water each time.

Because they do not know how to use a scythe (or judge it too dangerous.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Mat wrote:

It is if the nearest outlet is 600' away. Not everyone lives in ticky-tacky houses that are spitting distance apart.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Now you're just setting up the OP for Bitch #2

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:19:53 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Sry, didn't know there were so many redneck country boys with big acreages here (jk), Seriously, the vast majority of us live in <5000 sqft lots. An acre around here would cost several million

I was amazed to find out how much land in Surrey could be worth. Isn't it kind of cold there most of the time?
Anyway........ While googling for land values in Surry, I found this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid 081017150105AA1jxO5
Which was way more interesting and has nothing to do with home repair.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:35:45 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

Actually, on average it is warmer here than most of the US border states and the midwest, less extremes in winter and summer. Avg winter we rarely see < 33F.
Check out this 4500 sqft bungalow for 1.2 million: http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId 84145