Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?

I use these early on a Saturday morning to get even with the neighbors who played loud music all night Friday when I was trying to sleep!

As to starting trouble, get a Stihl or a commercial model the gardener's use. These always start easily for me.

Reply to
Bill

here ya go

Steve Barker

Mike - That a real gas (pun intended). Seriously, you should consider writing comedy professionally. That one of the most wry comments I've heard in weeks. Good one!

Reply to
Peter

Gotta admit. I use gas everything. It's simply far more convenient than electric. If I need to run a trimmer or blower for just a minute or two I just start it up. With proper care the maintenance is not a big deal but I'll admit if you are not handy with small engines you have to treat them as disposable. I have a chain saw that is 30 years old. A string trimmer that is 15 years old.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Quick, throw a big battery in there too, and sell the design as green tech... :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yep. New "hybrid" lawnmower.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ive been viewing that clip, just the sound is enough to make me want one, it sure would make grass cutting fun, then I would need a V8 snowblower,

Reply to
ransley

Now you're just setting up the OP for Bitch #2

Reply to
RBM

What about the recall? This mower had a power cord.

Short Video:

Oren

Sry, didn't know there were so many redneck country boys with big acreages here (jk), Seriously, the vast majority of us live in

Reply to
Mat

7000 sqft, of course not. I should have qualified the post. Also, we have clean hydro electric generated power here.
Reply to
Mat

I wish I knew how they did that.

Reply to
Tony

I was amazed to find out how much land in Surrey could be worth. Isn't it kind of cold there most of the time?

Anyway........ While googling for land values in Surry, I found this:

Which was way more interesting and has nothing to do with home repair.

Reply to
Metspitzer

It would be a good laugh to see you mow my place with a corded mower

- and I've tried with cordless and the battery replacement costs were almost criminal - and I could never mow the whole lawn on one charge. (and my 30+ year old gas mower will do 3 or 4 cuttings on a tank of gas.) With it's 24" blade, it's an hour's job, and with the 20 inch wheels it's eazy to push, even if I choose not to use the self propelled function. With the motor between the rear wheels, and the blade belt driven forward, I can trim under the fences and right up tp posts/trees so I don't have need for a string-trimmer.

My 30+ yeart old Briggs engine generally starts on the second good pull if not the first. The electrics all end up with switch issues, and the cordless ones always end up with one or more bad batteries.

I built and drove an electric car - ride an electric assist bike, but have NO USE for an electric lawn mower.

Reply to
clare

Actually there WAS an "electric mule" riding lawn mower a few years back - I think it was picked up by Agco Allis - invented by a Gingrich or Gingerich from Baden Ontario area.

Never really caught on, and was several times the price of a gas unit. IIRC.

Reply to
clare

Your chain-saw is just a baby. My "newest " one is at least 25, and the little one at least 35. I have a 53 year old lawn mower, but normally use the "new" one which is something close to 40 years old by now. (except for the stainless steel deck I made for it a few years back to replace the rusted out original mild steel one).

Reply to
clare

Guy here in Kitchener/Waterloo a few years back had a Jimmy 6-71 in the bed of his Chevy 4X4, hydraulically driving a twin-beater McKee blower mounted on the front. Now THAT sucker would blow snow!!! (and wake up the neighbours for a few blocks). Ever hear a blown 6-71 whine through a short (muffled) stack???

Reply to
clare

My lot is only about 65X 115 but cord handling around fruit trees, laundry posts, garden, shed, fences, etc would be a real nightmare

Reply to
clare

Actually, on average it is warmer here than most of the US border states and the midwest, less extremes in winter and summer. Avg winter we rarely see < 33F.

Check out this 4500 sqft bungalow for 1.2 million:

Mat

That's your privilege. I hate electric mowers and trimmers.

Electrics have the most annoying sound on earth. I would take the cord and strangle the person using it.

Depending upon the producer of the electricity, electrics pollute also.

Maybe where you live but not here.

You haven't a clue as to how you are supposed to handle machinery.

Then you are just plainly incompetent.

While you are fiddling with the extension cord, I'm in my lazy chair having a cool drink.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread