Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?

Page 1 of 3

I hate gas mowers/trimmers:
1. They are noisy, the trimmers can drive one crazy trying to sleep in on a saturday morning 2. They pollute 3. They are +20x more expensive to operate than electric 4. They never start reliably 5. Always out of gas
The extra few minutes dealing with an ext cord are no big deal
Mat wrote:

Perhaps you should live in a less crowded place.

Most everything pollutes, including the power plant producing the electricity for your electric trimmer.

Not if you actually know how to maintain and operate them.

See #3.

See #3.

I don't care to mess with 400' of extension cord maintaining my yard.
Pete C. wrote:

(snip)
I really like my electric mower, but dragging the cord around got old fast. I solved that little problem by mounting my generator on the mower. It's a Honda generator, so it's fairly quiet. I don't have a photo handy, but I'm pretty sure there are some on the web. (Folks keep stopping to take pictures like they've never seen a electric mower before. Weird.)
Mike Paulsen wrote:

Is this your's also ??
http://thatwillbuffout.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/1291102327408018051.jpg
Reed wrote:

I knew what image that was going to be before I clicked on the link.
I need to go outside more often.
Jon
On 7/25/2010 11:51 PM, Mike Paulsen wrote:

Mike - That a real gas (pun intended). Seriously, you should consider writing comedy professionally. That one of the most wry comments I've heard in weeks. Good one!

Gotta admit. I use gas everything. It's simply far more convenient than electric. If I need to run a trimmer or blower for just a minute or two I just start it up. With proper care the maintenance is not a big deal but I'll admit if you are not handy with small engines you have to treat them as disposable. I have a chain saw that is 30 years old. A string trimmer that is 15 years old.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:00:27 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

Your chain-saw is just a baby. My "newest " one is at least 25, and the little one at least 35. I have a 53 year old lawn mower, but normally use the "new" one which is something close to 40 years old by now. (except for the stainless steel deck I made for it a few years back to replace the rusted out original mild steel one).
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:51:01 -0500, Mike Paulsen wrote:

Quick, throw a big battery in there too, and sell the design as green tech... :-)

Yep. New "hybrid" lawnmower.
nb

What about the recall? This mower had a power cord.
Short Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNnXLFA5sx0

Oren wrote:

I wish I knew how they did that.

Who cares what you hate?
<snip nonsense>

So don't buy one.
Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?:

Electric trimmers are nice if you only have a 20'x30' back yard to keep trimmed. If you have 5 or 10 acres, that won't work.

More power. My wife has the most powerful corded corded string trimmer we could find (12a) and my el chepo gas Ryobi 725 will kick it;s ass.
Mowers? get serious. A 5HP electric motor would need an 8 gauge 230v cord if you had 100' of it.
Mat wrote:

I don't think they MAKE an electric riding mower.
Maybe I could jury-rig a golf cart...
Besides that, electric mowers are for women and sissies. Power, loud noise, chance of explosion, noxious gasses, ability to fling dried dog shit over 5,000 sq ft. - it's a manly thing!

Actually there WAS an "electric mule" riding lawn mower a few years back - I think it was picked up by Agco Allis - invented by a Gingrich or Gingerich from Baden Ontario area.
Never really caught on, and was several times the price of a gas unit. IIRC.

I hate do it by hand even more.
nb
On 7/25/2010 8:10 PM, Mat wrote:
Mat wrote:

Hi, Then you'd better know where/how your power is generated