Why do they still use the 9/10 cent on gas prices?

Think "US Mint workers union"....

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Got rid of the $2 bill too - replaced with the "twonie" - and now replacing rag-paper bills with polymer bills.

Reply to
clare

withdrawal is slated for next Spring, by which I presume they mean that banks will no longer issue them. Old ones will remain valid.

The last penny was minted earlier this summer. They will remain in use for some time -

change. If not, you could play a game where you pay with them when the rounding would not be in your favour, and allow the merchant to round when it is. You know, when you really want to show folks that your time and energy are worth less than four cents. (Perhaps, an alternative to posting to newsgroups.)

insisting that you NOT use US or Canadian pennies; instead as part of the cost you got a little copper blank. I get that defacing US coinage gets you a visit from MIB but I don't think anyone cares if you mash a Canadian one. I'm thinking it's because ours are now a copper-plated steel core and it screws up the machine's dies.

No - the penny press can be damaged pressing the alloy or sandwich pennies, and the resulting product is grossly inferior to the copper blank. or old copper penny.

Reply to
clare

Since 2000, Canadian pennies are 94% steel, 1.5% nickel, and 4.5% copper.

Reply to
clare

True but totally irrelevant, since one penny can be used to exchange it's v= alue 10,000 times. Now, if the production cost is higher than the metal val= ue AND the metal value is higher than face value THEN you have problem. Tha= t COULD happen in the foreseeable future but hasn't yet.

The real question is, does it take more than 2 cents worth of the average p= erson's time to count and exchange 4 pennies (two people involved in the ex= change). =20

(Assuming you mean they should be replaced by coins.) I'm not sure I agree = unless they are made much smaller, and people already don't like the Susan = B. The weight of carrying a bunch of singles (which is sometimes very hand= y) can be an issue.

Maybe. That also means that at any given time, up to half of congress would= have little motivation to please their constituents. I'm not sure if that'= s better or worse...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

ld have little motivation to please their constituents. I'm not sure if tha= t's better or worse...

Up to 100% of Congress already has little motivation to please its constitu= ents. They are only concerned with manipulating the system to their own adv= antage, and that of their cronies. Even the most doe-eyed idealistic do-goo= der succumbs to the system after only a few months, or is rendered ineffect= ive.

The difference is that Republicans do it openly with no apology, and Democr= ats try to hide it behind social programs.

Reply to
dennisgauge

10,000 times. Now, if the production cost is higher than the metal value AND the metal value is higher than face value THEN you have problem. That COULD happen in the foreseeable future but hasn't yet.

The production costs are *much* higher than the face value. That's the problem. It's against the law.

person's time to count and exchange 4 pennies (two people involved in the exchange).

Why is that a problem? They're perfectly free to agree to skip the pennies if it's too much work.

unless they are made much smaller, and people already don't like the Susan B. The weight of carrying a bunch of singles (which is sometimes very handy) can be an issue.

Right. Susan B's fall out of G-strings and leave nasty marks, too. ;-)

have little motivation to please their constituents. I'm not sure if that's better or worse...

When we're $16T in debt (and climbing at another $1T every nine months), isn't worrying about the cost of making pennies a little ridiculous?

Reply to
krw

unless they are made much smaller, and people already don't like the Susan B. The weight of carrying a bunch of singles (which is sometimes very handy) can be an issue.

The smallest paper Euro is the 5. I've never had a problem carrying the 1 and 2 Euro coins. They have a penny too, but it is rarely used and the price rounded. I've even had restaurants round down to the nearest 5 Euro on a bill.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lately the $3.99 price looks better than a $4.00 price. .

Reply to
RobertPatrick

them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that he thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he filled up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents sometimes...

To those people I say "FU".

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that he thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he filled up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents sometimes...

American people.

we're too stupid to embrace the concept.

CHANGE. All loonies and twonies. It paid for the gas to drive back across the border.

A dollar coin might be all right if it was of a convenient size. But they are too damn big. I don't want to pay an 85 cent charge with a $5 bill that weights almost nothing and takes up almost no space in my wallet and in return get 12 pounds of metal to carry in my pocket.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

owwww, three or four bucks a year. But it's not zero time and effort. And how many diseases have you gotten from those coins over the years? If you only got sick once in 20 years and had to take a day off work that would offset your lifetime earnings from being such a cheapskate.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Close enough to zero that it doesn't matter. It's free money.

None. Apparently it didn't occur to you that I would put them in my pocket, not in my mouth.

Reply to
Doug Miller